Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
This is from my owners manual, you should check your own manual.

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? {filename}
Towing - Recommended Towing Weights
RECOMMENDED TOWING WEIGHTS

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? {filename}
WARNING: Towing trailers beyond the maximum recommended gross trailer weight exceeds the limit of your vehicle and could result in engine damage, transmission damage, structural damage, loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover and personal injury.
Note: Do not exceed the trailer weight for your vehicle configuration listed in the following chart.
Note: Do not exceed the trailer frontal area for your vehicle configuration listed in the following chart.
Note:
, and when heavily loaded or towing a trailer. When driving at elevation, to match driving performance as perceived at sea level, reduce gross vehicle weight and gross combination weight by 2% per 1000 ft (300 m) of elevation.
Note: Certain states require electric trailer brakes for trailers over a specified weight. Be sure to check state regulations for this specified weight. The maximum trailer weights listed may be limited to this specified weight, as the vehicle’s electrical system may not include the wiring connector needed to activate electric trailer brakes.
Your vehicle may tow a trailer provided the maximum trailer weight is less than or equal to the maximum trailer weight listed for your vehicle configuration on the following chart.
Powertrain Maximum Gross Combined Weight Ratio Maximum Trailer Weight Maximum Trailer Frontal Area
1.5L EcoBoost 5860 lb (2,658 kg) 2000 lb (907 kg) 20 ft² (1.86 m²)
2.0L EcoBoost 6260 lb (2,839 kg) 2200 lb (997 kg) 20 ft² (1.86 m²)
Calculated with SAE J2807 method.
2021 Bronco Sport Owner's Manual
I noticed a typo -- the chart should read: "Maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating."

Also, while the manual says, "Your vehicle could have reduced performance when operating at high altitudes...", turbocharged engines are generally not affected by altitude:
https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/newsroom/article/how-to-turbocharge-at-elevation-counteracting-lower-air-density/#

I said 'generally' because if a turbo has barely enough capacity at sea level, the engine will lose power as elevation increases.
Sponsored

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I noticed a typo -- the chart should read: "Maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating."
It also leaves out that Package 53B (note 2) is required for towing and you should refer to the Ford towing guide.
Nothing has changed from 2021 to 2023.
Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? towing guide 2023

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The biggest issue with sway is how your trailer is loaded. It NEEDS 10%-15% tongue weight. Most trailers have the axle about 2/3 of the way back from the front to achieve this. You've got plenty of cargo capacity, so load the front of the trailer heavy and the back lightly.

As for transmission temperature, I recommend purchasing a Scangauge. It plugs into your OBDll port and can be set up to monitor coolant temp, ATF temp, and many others. Lets you know what is going on with your vehicle.

If you boondock, look into a SoftStart for your A/C. It reduces the start up amperage by about 1/2, and allows the use of a smaller generator.

I inherited a small homemade utility trailer that has the axle in the middle. My friend borrowed it and backed it up to the house to load shingles off the roof. The result was that the majority of the load was behind the axle. When he got on the freeway it started swaying, and he lost control for a moment. He had to change his shorts. When unhitched, I'd crawl in to unload and the trailer would tip back. I've since added two spare tires to the front of the trailer to add tongue weight, and I'm very careful to load this trailer with heavy things in the front.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
As for transmission temperature, I recommend purchasing a Scangauge. It plugs into your OBDll port and can be set up to monitor coolant temp, ATF temp, and many others. Lets you know what is going on with your vehicle.
Been using a Scan Gauge II on the Sport since the beginning.
Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? scangauge

There's a ScanGauge III out now that programs itself but it's a lot larger. The II gives me everything I need for towing with the Sport.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? scangauge

There's a ScanGauge III out now that programs itself but it's a lot larger. The II gives me everything I need for towing with the Sport.
These are great for additional display items not included in your vehicle. I used one in both my F150's that did not have the instant MPG that the "upper" Ford models had.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That's what we use in our RV with a 2008 Sprinter chassis. I selected the same exact info to be displayed. For those that aren't familiar there are several options and you can select up to 4 to be displayed. It is also a basic trouble code reader.

In our case, it would not show "TRN" (ATF temp) out of the box. That was due to MB not being willing to share (unlike most mfrs). Someone smarter than me on Sprinter-Source figured out the required codes to be entered manually and it works. I gather that with the older Sprinters (thru 2006) the ScanGauge II will not display ATF temp, and there is no hack to get it to work.

Anyway, the Sprinter is probably a fairly unique case. I'm glad to see it works well with the BS.

There are other similar devices. I've seen them advertised but have not looked into them. Some have "gauges" on their display, which can be helpful.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest issue with sway is how your trailer is loaded. It NEEDS 10%-15% tongue weight. Most trailers have the axle about 2/3 of the way back from the front to achieve this. You've got plenty of cargo capacity, so load the front of the trailer heavy and the back lightly.

If you boondock, look into a SoftStart for your A/C. It reduces the start up amperage by about 1/2, and allows the use of a smaller generator.

I inherited a small homemade utility trailer that has the axle in the middle. My friend borrowed it and backed it up to the house to load shingles off the roof. The result was that the majority of the load was behind the axle. When he got on the freeway it started swaying, and he lost control for a moment. He had to change his shorts. When unhitched, I'd crawl in to unload and the trailer would tip back. I've since added two spare tires to the front of the trailer to add tongue weight, and I'm very careful to load this trailer with heavy things in the front.
Good advice Mike!

The SoftStart is widely used and has many positive reviews. Here's the Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/SoftStartRV-NetworkRV-Conditioner-Generator-Otherwise/dp/B07YBMCTBC/?th=1

It's pricy at ~$320, but I've heard very little negative about it. The Amazon reviews are very good -- 94% 4&5-star, 4% 1&2 star. Something I've learned about reviews (that most people probably know) is that it's really important to actually read some of them -- esp the 1-star reviews -- not just go by the overall rating. In this particular case, the overall rating is probably close, but many times it's not. As is typical, some of the 1-star reviews can be disregarded, but some are concerning. Nothing is perfect though -- and there is plenty of room here for 'operator error'.

Because we have a 3,200W onboard diesel generator (small but higher output than the typical 2KW Honda) I just went with a "SUPCO" SPP6:
https://www.amazon.com/Supco-SPP6-Hard-Start-Kit/dp/B00DZUAPQG/
https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE/

It is suspiciously inexpensive ($12-$14), but also has good reviews. Our A/C unit starts fine on generator power -- I just bought the SPP6 in case the OE starting cap goes bad -- so I do not have personal experience with it, but many people seem to like it.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Late to the conversation, but I have a big bend without the tow package as well and can’t seem to figure out if the tow package only includes the sway control or if it also includes a transmission cooler. In which case should be super paranoid about towing without either of those?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Late to the conversation, but I have a big bend without the tow package as well and can’t seem to figure out if the tow package only includes the sway control or if it also includes a transmission cooler. In which case should be super paranoid about towing without either of those?
Here's some good info:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/cpo/pdf/2022_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Towing_Info_Oct20.pdf

I thought it included a trans (ATF) cooler, but that is not mentioned. I'll check a bit more.

If you are concerned about ATF temp, you may be able to get a unit that will display that. We have one for our Sprinter-based RV, but I haven't looked into them for the BS.

If you stay below the 2,000 lb. weight rating & frontal area restrictions -- and load the trailer correctly (~60% of the total weight in front)-- you should be fine without sway control. As long as you keep the speed reasonable and don't climb any long, steep grades in 90*+ heat, the ATF temp should not be excessive -- but it's always best to have a gauge/display to keep an eye on it.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Here's some good info:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/cpo/pdf/2022_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Towing_Info_Oct20.pdf

I thought it included a trans (ATF) cooler, but that is not mentioned. I'll check a bit more.

If you are concerned about ATF temp, you may be able to get a unit that will display that. We have one for our Sprinter-based RV, but I haven't looked into them for the BS.

If you stay below the 2,000 lb. weight rating & frontal area restrictions -- and load the trailer correctly (~60% of the total weight in front)-- you should be fine without sway control. As long as you keep the speed reasonable and don't climb any long, steep grades in 90*+ heat, the ATF temp should not be excessive -- but it's always best to have a gauge/display to keep an eye on it.
Thank you thank you!! Much appreciated!!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread I started back in Feb 2022 may answer your question:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/3-transmission-oil-coolers-for-bs.5036/

There aren't very many posts, but it seems as though ALL models with the tow package have an aux ATF cooler -- in addition to the typical one in the radiator.

Also, the BL has an ATF cooler whether or not it has the tow package:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/bronco-sport/2022-Bronco-Sport-Tech-Specs.pdf

I'm still unclear as to whether the BS BL with the tow package:
1) Uses the same OE ATF cooler
2) Has that OE cooler replaced with a larger one
3) Uses the OE cooler AND a tow package cooler

I'll look more closely when I have the skid plate off to change the oil.

You may not need an ATF cooler if your trailer is relatively light; has a small frontal area; and you aren't pulling long 6% grades. If there is an inexpensive way to monitor the ATF temp you might try that before adding a cooler.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple more notes:

1) I just realized that there are posts about using a "ScanGauge II" (the same unit we have in our RV) to monitor ATF temp just up above -- post #79. It's good to know that's an option.
2) The "sway control" may account for the 500 lb. difference in towing capacity between the Base and BB. You may want to consider 1,500 lbs. as your limit.:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/bronco-base-towing.2287/
3) Good info here, see oil/ATF cooler info post #33:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/factory-tow-hitch-install-after-purchase-any-one.10158/page-3
4) This may be helpful:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/factory-bumper-with-oem-trailer-hitch-cuts.3515/
Sponsored