Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Please see attached. This is Ford OEM information. Trailer Tow Package doesn't specify Transmission Cooler. Shows everything that is included in the package. Plus, the trailer sway control is already a vehicle setting that can be turned on or off, even on models without the trailer package. If you don't have the factory trailer package, then you're limit is 1500 lbs.
Thanks, that's what I thought you were referencing. I don't, however, think this is definitive proof. The brochure states:

Includes items that must be installed.* Your New Vehicle Limited
Warranty (see your dealer for a copy) may be voided if you tow
without them.
For trailers over 1,500 pounds – Class II Trailer Tow Package (53B)
Everything in the list below this statement on the brochure is "standard" on the Badlands except for the wiring harness, receiver hitch, and trailer sway control. As you note, trailer sway control appears to be standard as well, so it would just be the receiver hitch and wiring harness. Yet for some reason Ford limits max trailer weight to 1500 lbs unless you have the factory tow package installed. The question is why? Given the only non-standard equipment included in the list on that brochure is the receiver hitch and wiring, I can't think of a logical reason. That leads me to believe there must be something else at play besides the equipment on this list.

To add to the confusion, there are Ford parts websites that reference two different kinds of transmission coolers for the Bronco Sport (see here and here), one with and one without tow package.
Sponsored

mtbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB
Thanks, that's what I thought you were referencing. I don't, however, think this is definitive proof. The brochure states:

Everything in the list below this statement on the brochure is "standard" on the Badlands except for the wiring harness, receiver hitch, and trailer sway control. As you note, trailer sway control appears to be standard as well, so it would just be the receiver hitch and wiring harness. Yet for some reason Ford limits max trailer weight to 1500 lbs unless you have the factory tow package installed. The question is why? Given the only non-standard equipment included in the list on that brochure is the receiver hitch and wiring, I can't think of a logical reason. That leads me to believe there must be something else at play besides the equipment on this list.

To add to the confusion, there are Ford parts websites that reference two different kinds of transmission coolers for the Bronco Sport (see here and here), one with and one without tow package.
I have seen that before, about the transmission coolers, but only on this Forum, never from a Ford PDF. If there is more, then Ford isn't putting it out to everyone. Which, doesn't suprise me. All I know is that I'm not planning on pulling anything through the mountains. I live in Florida. We live 2 miles from the Gulf and we're buying a boat in January that will weigh around 1800 lbs total package. My only concern is pulling it out of a 12-15 degree slope ramp but I'm hoping Normal mode in Low will pull it out.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Look up the transmission cooler part numbers. There's a difference between the tow package cooler and the rest. Just because Ford doesn't list it in their sales lit doesn't mean it's not part of the package. I towed 2,000+ pounds up some long inclines and watched the transmission temp go way up. I have a gauge that gives me transmission temp when towing. You don't want to tow up long grades and burn out your transmission. It's not just the hitch. Believe what you want but just adding a Ford hitch doesn't increase towing capacity. Learned it from the rep after it took him weeks to get an answer before I bought mine.
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? transmission coolers

I've since even solved the 2K limit by getting a Maverick with a 4K tow package.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would be all over this with my Badlands "IF" it was attainable.
It is shown as an accessory to buy for non factory installed models.

But can you really get this finished look from the kit from Ford?
This picture presents as a very clean look.

After looking at the wiring thread posted here I can't imagine Ford not having an electrical clip in, in the back, for a tow hitch

Has another bought the factory kit?
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? Tow hitch Bronco Sport
Did all the leg work on this a year ago!

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/factory-bumper-with-oem-trailer-hitch-cuts.3515/

Bumber with factory cut part number and factory hitch.

imaynzr

Big Bend
First Name
ioema
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
"Learned it from the rep after it took him weeks"....that's the monkey you believe? hahahahahahahah!

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
"Learned it from the rep after it took him weeks"....that's the monkey you believe? hahahahahahahah!
No but I believe the engineers he finely got an answer from and after towing 2,000 pounds with it for over two years and watching the transmission temp on long hills I have to agree with them.
I'm betting you know more than Ford engineers though. :D

mwangarch

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Big Bend
I would be all over this with my Badlands "IF" it was attainable.
It is shown as an accessory to buy for non factory installed models.

But can you really get this finished look from the kit from Ford?
This picture presents as a very clean look.

After looking at the wiring thread posted here I can't imagine Ford not having an electrical clip in, in the back, for a tow hitch

Has another bought the factory kit?
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? Tow hitch Bronco Sport
Just installed the Draw Tite hitch; about $275 after taxes and shipping. There's a chinese knockoff that sells at Wallmart for about $100, but didn't want to risk it. Took about 90 minutes to install. photos show the reduced departure angle, chassis bolt on points and finished assembly. The original sub-bumper has the tow hook attachment, and the draw tite attaches to the same points on the chassis.

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? PXL_20240130_205937022

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? PXL_20240129_233527748

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? bronco 1

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? 4C1EFDF9-7C69-496F-807A-750C59BCB77C
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? IMG_2388
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Tow hitch, install after purchase....Any one? IMG_2384

After market install. Curt Hitch, with plug/play wiring harness
Sponsored

Last edited: