RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Maverick Hybrid is popular because there are not any other 40 mpg pick up trucks.
Most people don't need a full size pick up to carry a Home Depot orange bucket and a piece of molding that sticks out past the tail gate, I see it everyday, for most a full size pick up is a lifestyle choice, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Sponsored

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have had the Maverick on order for over a year and has finally shipped. I purchased a Big Bend in April (9000 miles) as I needed a vehicle at once and couldn't wait any longer for the Maverick. I have really enjoyed the BS, it drives great, pleased with the mpg (31), got the Napier SUV tent with points (haven't used) and was looking forward to having 4wd for the first time if it snows this year (we get about 12" yr in Richmond, Va). So I am really torn as to keep it or trade it in. (or sell to Carvana?) I would get a little better mpg with the truck and think the bed would be better for dump and Lowes trips. Wish I could keep both but can't.
Trade immediately!!!!

REDWM

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F-150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Coming aboard for a little education as this has been an interesting thread to read.

We have both a BS BL and Ranger XLT. A superb combo to my mind. Excellent small utility vehicle and mileage with the BS (30mpg) and excellent small pickup performance with better than Ford average with the Ranger (20+ mpg local driving).

As far as the pickup choice went, never, ever considered the Maverick as a stablemate for the BS. Not to be a hater, but I find nothing appealing in the Maverick other than I do appreciate the Ranchero throwback vibe.

So here's my question: why is the Maverick so popular? (I realize this is a Bronco Sport forum....)
So we have both a Ranger XLT FX4 and just bought a new BS BB last spring. We like both and will keep both. I drive the Ranger for my outings and activities. The Bronco Sport is for my wife but when we go somewhere together, she wants me to drive because she likes all the features of the Bronco sport she can "play" with since she's not driving. Hard choice but the Maverick is too small for our needs plus our Lab needs the bigger bed since we put him in a big kennel when he goes with us.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Have you had an opportunity to test drive the Maverick? I test drove one the local deal had that was Area 51, same as my BS, with the white interior. The vehicle felt sluggish, and the interior was not impressive by any means. I was excited to drive off the lot in my BS. Perhaps if I actually needed truck features, I would have had more motive to make the switch, which may affect my assessment.

I do appreciate seeing them on the road as that means more of us are over waiting BS/6th Gen/Maverick order delays from 2021/2022.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
test drove one the local deal had that was Area 51, same as my BS, with the white interior. The vehicle felt sluggish,
Sluggish huh? LOL This coming from a Big Bend owner? The Maverick hybrid has a 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds compared to the 1.5L equipped Bronco sport which has a 8.2 second 0-60 time. I owned 2 1.5L Bronco Sports and my Maverick hybrid is not sluggish compared to them.

OP
OP

kurtdouglas

Big Bend
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have had the Maverick on order for over a year and has finally shipped. I purchased a Big Bend in April (9000 miles) as I needed a vehicle at once and couldn't wait any longer for the Maverick. I have really enjoyed the BS, it drives great, pleased with the mpg (31), got the Napier SUV tent with points (haven't used) and was looking forward to having 4wd for the first time if it snows this year (we get about 12" yr in Richmond, Va). So I am really torn as to keep it or trade it in. (or sell to Carvana?) I would get a little better mpg with the truck and think the bed would be better for dump and Lowes trips. Wish I could keep both but can't.
I am going to test drive the Maverick and see what kind of offer they will make on the Bronco Sport, (both mainly out of curiosity) however, I am pretty sure that I will keep the Bronco Sport. Along with some of the input that was posted here are a couple other reasons for the decision. I know some are probably stupid so please let me know.

1. Got the BS for 3.99% and have 26 payments left , I believe the Maverick will be 6-7% with 36 payments left.
2. I drive 80% highway/20% city so not really sure the hybrid would provide much savings (I get 31mpg now)
3. I want to camp and 4wd at Outer Banks, NC (had 2 trips cancelled Aug and Sept due to weather)
4. I think I over spent on the Maverick. BAP (nice but probably not worth $1645), remote start(Ford Pass is fine for that) Floor liners, etc. Plus destination and base price went up $500 looking at the window sticker vs what I signed 13 months ago.
5. I would have to spend more $ on a tonneau cover and window tinting on Maverick.
6. Since I have a tow hitch on the BS I could get a utility trailer (or rent at Uhaul) if needed for something that wouldn't fit in the BS.

Sojourner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I like your logic and thought process. This has been a very interesting thread. I appreciate you getting it started.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Sluggish huh? LOL This coming from a Big Bend owner? The Maverick hybrid has a 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds compared to the 1.5L equipped Bronco sport which has a 8.2 second 0-60 time. I owned 2 1.5L Bronco Sports and my Maverick hybrid is not sluggish compared to them.
It felt slow and I tried to get on it and it felt dogged. I was on the test drive solo with no salesman so I had no one to worry about dirty stares. Could be that truck feeling i normally get when i feel slow but im zipping down the highway. It was just my experience, not impressed. Could've also been the 5k ADM at the time (Early May) that turned me off too lol!

onceforall

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
We have one of each...bought the Mav hybrid for myself and the BS BB for the wife.

So which one does the wife drive? The Mav of course.

But, we just finished a 3000 mile trip in the BS and hands down, the BS was a lot better touring vehicle for 3 people, visiting National Parks from Montana through Arizona. The 1.5l is a fantastic engine and no issues running up 10,000' roads or cruising at 80mph in Utah. Also really loved the adaptive cruise and CP360+ (though these can be had on the Mav in the Lariat version which will push the price up near the BS).

So, they are each great vehicles and it really depends on individual needs and priorities.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
That's a decision you have to make.
Totally agree with this. Only you can decide what to do in this situation.

I have both a 2007 Ford F150 and an Outerbanks BS. I'll guess its not an option to keep both?

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
One bad thing about pickups. Because the back end is so light, it isn't uncommon for the back wheels to break loose in slick condidtions. Of course that can be fixed by throwing a few bags of sand behind the wheel wells in back.

I wasn't aware they made a Maverick when I ordered my BS. I am very happy with my Badlands, and I have a trailer to haul the bigger things.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I think you are making the right choice. I’ve had both pick ups and SUV’s and I’d take the SUV 100% over the pick up. Unless you really have true needs for a prick up, the back end goes wasted most of the time. However, the one benefit of having a pick up is the additional friends you get when it’s moving time for them!

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
One bad thing about pickups. Because the back end is so light, it isn't uncommon for the back wheels to break loose in slick condidtions. Of course that can be fixed by throwing a few bags of sand behind the wheel wells in back.
I not sure how much of a problem this would actually be on a Maverick because unlike traditional pickups the Hybrid is front wheel drive and the 2.0L is front wheel drive based AWD similar to the Bronco Sport

OP
OP

kurtdouglas

Big Bend
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have decided to keep the BS. What do I do with the Maverick Hybrid? Get my $500 deposit and walk or buy it and sell to Carmax, etc. If buy/sell what all is involved?

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I have decided to keep the BS. What do I do with the Maverick Hybrid? Get my $500 deposit and walk or buy it and sell to Carmax, etc. If buy/sell what all is involved?
With the high interest rates on loans, new and used car sales will be dropping on 2023 models. In a few months, probably car prices will be dropping below MSRP also, except for a few popular models, such as the Hybrid variant of the Maverick. That's a tough call.
Try to talk your way out of losing the deposit.
Sponsored