Does the BS Have the Swollen Lug Nut Problem?

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
Does the BS have the swollen lug nut problem of other Fords? I know that removing the lug nuts from my 2013 Ford Escape for a brake job was a major issue. You are supposed to use a 19mm to remove those lug nuts but I sometimes had to resort to a 20mm or 21mm socket to get the old ones off and there were a few that I had to use a lug nut extractor to get off. The extractor got them off but destroyed the lug nut in the process. I kept a 20mm socket and ratchet along with extra lug nuts near my spare tire in case I had a flat tire. I hope that Ford has fixed this issue by now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes, Ford is still using the "2-piece" lug nuts. Preemptive replacement is warranted.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Whew...saw that title, and made me think about things.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Whew...saw that title, and made me think about things.
Yeesh...thankful to be a woman in a thread such as this.

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
Yup these can get really bad. My son has a 2014 Fusion and recently had new tires put on. The shop had to DESTROY 3 of these lug nuts to get them off then we had to wait 3 hours for a courier to show up with replacement lug nuts. Having a flat then being unable to get these off myself would piss me off to no end. Ugh!

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Does the BS have the swollen lug nut problem of other Fords? I know that removing the lug nuts from my 2013 Ford Escape for a brake job was a major issue. You are supposed to use a 19mm to remove those lug nuts but I sometimes had to resort to a 20mm or 21mm socket to get the old ones off and there were a few that I had to use a lug nut extractor to get off. The extractor got them off but destroyed the lug nut in the process. I kept a 20mm socket and ratchet along with extra lug nuts near my spare tire in case I had a flat tire. I hope that Ford has fixed this issue by now.
To the best of my knowledge, yes.
I've bought new lug nuts among many other other add-ons/personalizations even before my new Badlands arrives.
I was aware of the crappy lug nut issue and failed class action lawsuits from my Escape ownership and participation in the Escape forum.
My neighbor and her parents both have Big Bends. They both had Escapes and also knew of the lug nut problem first hand.

Last edited:

Cobrablues

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I bought different tires for my Bronco Sport at Discount Tires. When I went in for the first rotate and balance, the salesman tried to sell me new lug nuts. They were incredibly priced at $70.00 without being locking lugs. UHhh no. However I did look in here and find that there is an issue from my fellow Bronco Sport owners. I bought a set from Amazon for $20.00 with locking nuts. I chose the one I did from user reviews. Also the salesman tried to sell me new wiper blades. My Bronco was 3 months old at the time. Kind of irritating. I am grateful that he mentioned the lug nuts, though. Even more grateful that I can come in here and find out what everyone else is experiencing.

Thylacine76

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
For those getting the black lugnuts for replacement, what are you doing for the security lugnut with the lock?

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.

Thylacine76

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

Sojourner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
One of the first upgrades I did after buying the BL. The kit is excellent in all aspects.

Good lord. $162? That's comes out to about $30 just for each security lugnut, compared to the $40 kit of regular lugnuts everyone else has recommended. 🫢
Bought the set on Amazon from a 3rd party seller for under $100.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Got these also, but in chrome. Everyone, dump your 2 piece P.O.S lug nuts, especially if you are in a winter environment.

The OEM are worthless. I have had 3 Escapes also and I replaced them all, along with my BL.

I've saved the OEM's just for the hell of it. Replaced them before the caps got distorted.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Good lord. $162? That's comes out to about $30 just for each security lugnut, compared to the $40 kit of regular lugnuts everyone else has recommended. 🫢
I paid $54 for the chrome locking set from McGard on Amazon.

Ford Bronco Sport Does the BS Have the Swollen Lug Nut Problem? MCGARD LUG NUT LOCK KIT 84537 $53.59