What does Ford's "In Production" mean in their emails and text messages?

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
It's a rhetorical question since I am going to answer my own question of the term "In Production", thanks to Tim Bartz and Sarah Davis on their weekly live podcast.

My order for a Badlands has been in Production status for a week now. My salesman called yesterday to tell me that it is scheduled for manufacturing December 7th. I was under the wrong impression that "In Production" meant that my car was being assembled. Not so!

Last night, Dec 5th, during the Long McArthur weekly live YouTube broadcast, I learned from FordvideoGuy (Tim Bartz) and Sarah Davis the definition of "In Production."

at time stamp 54:54.

I'll attempt to share the explanation, as I understand it. You can view the YouTube podcast, or one or both folks will correct me if my comment is misleading or wrong. They both participate here.

"In Production" does not mean that the vehicle is being assembled/manufactured.

It means that a sequence of events has begun.
This period of time can vary from a few days to a couple of weeks before actual assembly begins.
Ford Bronco Sport What does Ford's "In Production" mean in their emails and text messages? Ford Tracking website timeline

The whole sequence of ordering a Ford is:
On Order
Scheduled
In Production
Built
(Released)
Shipped
Final Preparation and Delivered (typically at dealership)

"In Production" status is labelled 1 - 2 weeks from the starting assembly day and may include:
- Order sent to manufacturing
- Order being assembled / manufactured
- Order sent to Mod Center (aka Body company) for certain factory installed options, for example.
- When completed (Built), the status changes to Released.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Thanks for posting! Too many think in production means getting built. Takes a day to build. As you say, can be in production for up to two weeks. Even then, it may not switch to built if missing something. My 2 door blended 7/18 and was alive on 7/19 but didn’t switch to built until 8/14. Never found out what was missing or if additional QC was being done but in production is more than the day it gets built.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I think it means that the striking workers have reached an agreement and are back at work building vehicles.

On a serious note, you are on your way to getting a BS under the tree for Christmas.

I did not mention what year though.

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it means that the striking workers have reached an agreement and are back at work building vehicles.

On a serious note, you are on your way to getting a BS under the tree for Christmas.

I did not mention what year though.
Hermosilla was not impacted by the UAW strike in the U.S. They have their own workers' union.
The 2.0l engine comes from Spain currently and the trans comes from the Livonia Michigan plant. The latter plant experienced layoffs on some product lines but not the 8F35 Trans lines.
If no serious delays in rail shipping, I should finally get my Badlands sometime in January and stop my guilty feeling of being a troll around here.
I'm also looking forward to replacing my avatar with a color picture of my Shadow Black BS BL. Huh? If it snows, it'll be black on white anyway.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Hermosilla was not impacted by the UAW strike in the U.S. They have their own workers' union.
The 2.0l engine comes from Spain currently and the trans comes from the Livonia Michigan plant. The latter plant experienced layoffs on some product lines but not the 8F35 Trans lines.
If no serious delays in rail shipping, I should finally get my Badlands sometime in January and stop my guilty feeling of being a troll around here.
I'm also looking forward to replacing my avatar with a color picture of my Shadow Black BS BL. Huh? If it snows, it'll be black on white anyway.
Your not a troll, but rather a contributing owner/member of a BS.

I know we will be seeing much more from you when that black beauty arrives!

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update Dec. 09, 2023, Day 131: Status changed to BUILT!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Update Dec. 09, 2023, Day 131: Status changed to BUILT!
Congratulations! You should see it in the first part of the new year.

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations! You should see it in the first part of the new year.
It's finally getting real. The note on the tracking age also said it was released for shipping and should ship in a week. Realistically, that's just an estimate.
Sponsored