Does your Dragon clatter more in the cold?

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
Ford Bronco Sport Does your Dragon clatter more in the cold? SnowBuck

'23 Heritage, 1.5L Dragon, 15000 miles.

As my wanderings have taken me to the cold, snowy North-East, I think I'm hearing something different. When the engine is cold at first start in the morning I'm definitely hearing a clack or clatter under any acceleration. As the engine warms up the clattering fades away.

I've read about noisy hydraulic lifters and noisy turbo waste gates. I haven't read anything here that really seems to apply. I tried to record it a couple of times, but my iPhone just isn't capturing the specific noise.

Anyone here either experiencing same/similar or otherwise have thoughts on the source? Is it an issue to be concerned about? Or just cold parts clack-clack-clacking until they get up to operating temps?

Yes, I could go to a dealership. There isn't a dealership near where I am to leave it for assessing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Im 66 years old and I make funny noises when Im out in the cold!
All kidding aside, my BB/1.5 is the same way. I know these modern vehicles aren't supposed to need to be warmed up b4 you "take off" but I always let'er warm up a minute or so b4 I go about my business

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Ford Bronco Sport Does your Dragon clatter more in the cold? SnowBuck

'23 Heritage, 1.5L Dragon, 15000 miles.

As my wanderings have taken me to the cold, snowy North-East, I think I'm hearing something different. When the engine is cold at first start in the morning I'm definitely hearing a clack or clatter under any acceleration. As the engine warms up the clattering fades away.

I've read about noisy hydraulic lifters and noisy turbo waste gates. I haven't read anything here that really seems to apply. I tried to record it a couple of times, but my iPhone just isn't capturing the specific noise.

Anyone here either experiencing same/similar or otherwise have thoughts on the source? Is it an issue to be concerned about? Or just cold parts clack-clack-clacking until they get up to operating temps?

Yes, I could go to a dealership. There isn't a dealership near where I am to leave it for assessing.
High pressure Injectors clatter also.

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I don't beat on the beast. I've discovered my appreciation for the remote start and automatic climate control goes up as temps go down. Even with a healthy (or unhealthy, depending on perspective) warm-up, the engine makes a fair amount of noise under very modest acceleration, until the internals get up to temp. Having driven it most of the last year in Florida, this never occurred. It may well simply be a characteristic of the powertrain.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely more clatter in the cold. I appreciate the remote start, give it a minute or two to get settled and drive it pretty easily as it warms up.... which can take some time.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes I noticed it yesterday. I drove with the radio off to be certain, It did eventually sound normal as temps increased.

Steven 6095

Big Bend
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I love my Bronco Sport and the engine seems nice but sounds completely different than my Mustang and for good reason.

Page one in the manual should have been "All random, unexplained noises are normal."

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Cold? What is that. Haven't you heard the globe is warming?

You should hear my Superduty diesel when it is cold. All of my neighbors do.

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My OBX is noisy when cold. Goes away as soon as it warms up.
My previous wheels included a VW Rabbit diesel. Always started in very cold weather, but very noisy. I once woke up the entire wing of a hotel at 0-dark-30. Rabbit started, with usual racket, and every curtain on every window on that side of the hotel opened. A riot.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
been led to think sensors may be involved
case involves 2003 subie forester
summer heat or winter cold
engine warm or not
sounds like a singer sewing machine
put the block heater "on" prior to start
Fred Astaire tap shoe performance disappears
methinks sensors read the temp differences and compensate

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At time of original posting, it hadn't risen above freezing for a couple of weeks. Since then, I can see the correlation of clattering dragon teeth to the rise and fall of the temperature.

Remote start helps, too. When I bought this thing (in Central Florida) I thought remote start and heated seats were superfluous, gratuitous, bourgeoisie over-indulgences. I have learned the error of my ways and come to embrace that special comfort you can only feel when you know it's -17 F between you and your warming chariot. Oh, and the warm-up does seem to decrease the chattering teeth of the panda. And me.
Sponsored