Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I just received my Tetico side marker kit. I bought the simple 2 wire (black & red) wire kit. I am only going to wire it as an amber turn signal. The problem with this kit is the wire. It is only 18 gauge. I need to tap into the factory wiring with a different gauge of wire (heavier). Does anyone know of a quick connector that will join wires of different gauges? If I have to, I can strip a section of the factory wire, solder the connection and apply liquid electrical tape to the splice. Any other suggestions?
I forget what they are called, but they make these butt connectors with low temperature solder inside and heat shrink on the outside. Just put all 3 exposed connectors together and heat the whole thing up with a lighter and you are done.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have these. I really want to tap into the vehicle wiring without cutting it. I found the solution on Amazon. Just waiting for delivery now to do the project.
Care to share what you found?

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
The more I see these the more I like them.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Care to share what you found?
I don't know how to download the link. These are on Amazon.

Wirefy T Tap Connectors Kit-Electrical connectors kit-Spade Terminals-Quick disconnect wire taps.

You can connect a spade terminal with a different gauge of wire if necessary. I believe the Tectico wires are a different gauge than the factory. If so, these will work. If not, you just use the correct size you need.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wirefy T Tap Connectors Kit-Electrical connectors kit-Spade Terminals-Quick disconnect wire taps.
I would recommend using a step-down butt splice over these devices. You said you want to avoid cutting the factory wiring; my assumption is you wish to avoid any warranty issues. I don't think these devices meet that objective, mainly because you are arguably doing worse than cutting the wire.

These connectors work by cutting through the insulation to allow the contact in the connector access to the wire conductor (the wire strands inside). Take a look at the photo below from Wirefly's website showing how the connector works.

Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install Wirefy-TTAP120_03_1512x

There are many disadvantages to using these. For example, if you don't get the wire positioned precisely the cutter inside the connector may sever or partially sever the conductor. And even if you install them precisely as the manufacturer intends, these connectors do not provide an environmental seal. If you allow air to get to the conductor it will eventually result in oxidization/corrosion.

When correctly installed, a step-down butt connector with integrated waterproof heat shrink is a much more durable long-term connector.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would recommend using a step-down butt splice over these devices. You said you want to avoid cutting the factory wiring; my assumption is you wish to avoid any warranty issues. I don't think these devices meet that objective, mainly because you are arguably doing worse than cutting the wire.

These connectors work by cutting through the insulation to allow the contact in the connector access to the wire conductor (the wire strands inside). Take a look at the photo below from Wirefly's website showing how the connector works.

Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install Wirefy-TTAP120_03_1512x

There are many disadvantages to using these. For example, if you don't get the wire positioned precisely the cutter inside the connector may sever or partially sever the conductor. And even if you install them precisely as the manufacturer intends, these connectors do not provide an environmental seal. If you allow air to get to the conductor it will eventually result in oxidization/corrosion.

When correctly installed, a step-down butt connector with integrated waterproof heat shrink is a much more durable long-term connector.

Mark

I'm not following. How can I use a butt connector unless I cut the factory wire. I could put it on the end of the Tetico wire, but I would need a wire end to butt it to. How can I get that unless I cut the factory wire.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How can I use a butt connector unless I cut the factory wire.
You can't. My point is you can't use T-taps without ALSO cutting the wire. You may avoid cutting the conductor using a T-tap, but you MUST cut the insulation, exposing the conductor to the elements.

You can read more about problems associated with wire-taps here.

I would use a T-tap for a temporary fix in an emergency. But it's not a good long-term solution. As I posted previously (on a different thread), if you only plan to keep your car for a few years you'll probably be fine with a T-tap--you'll just be passing along the eventual problems to the next owner. If you plan to keep your car until the wheels fall off (or you plan to gift/sell it to a friend/family member) stick with waterproof butt connectors, or some other form of connector that seals the conductors from the environment.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't. My point is you can't use T-taps without ALSO cutting the wire. You may avoid cutting the conductor using a T-tap, but you MUST cut the insulation, exposing the conductor to the elements.

You can read more about problems associated with wire-taps here.

I would use a T-tap for a temporary fix in an emergency. But it's not a good long-term solution. As I posted previously (on a different thread), if you only plan to keep your car for a few years you'll probably be fine with a T-tap--you'll just be passing along the eventual problems to the next owner. If you plan to keep your car until the wheels fall off (or you plan to gift/sell it to a friend/family member) stick with waterproof butt connectors, or some other form of connector that seals the conductors from the environment.
My other option will be to strip some of the insulation from the factory wire. Wrap the Tetico wire around it. Solder the connection, and coat good with liquid electrical tape. Either way I'll probably be getting another new vehicle within 4 or 5 years. Even sooner if Ford would put the 2.0 motor in the Outer Banks.

cario65

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (ordered 8/11/22)
Tectico has seen and listened!

I went to the Tectico store on Amazon and they now offer the side marker light bundled with a harness. Just like those have shown here how to make one and then cut/tap into wires on it instead of the factory harness. Tectico has a solution.

You can buy a side marker light set including the harness or they are offering just the harness by itself.

a. Kit including harness
b. Harness only

Last edited:

ShaneGTA

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport and a 2022 Edge ST

I went to the Tectico store on Amazon and they now offer the side marker light bundled with a harness. Just like those have shown here how to make one and then cut/tap into wires on it instead of the factory harness. Tectico has a solution.

You can buy a side marker light set including the harness or they are offering just the harness by itself.

a. Kit including harness
b. Harness only
That's awesome! Thanks for posting this. I purchased these lights and have been looking for connectors to install them. This works for me.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

a. Kit including harness
b. Harness only
To each their own. I see no need for a side marker or DRL on these vehicles. I can see the directional because the mirrors no longer have turn signals on them. Th side already has front and rear side markers. The DRL are headlights only and don't even light the taillights. Why do you need a light on the side of the vehicle while it's running? I have my directional only set and will be installing it with pictures in a week or two.

cario65

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (ordered 8/11/22)
You can use what I posted for turn signals. Just need to tap appropriate wires for that function on the Tectico harness. People have said it would be nice if Tectico made a harness. Now they have.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can use what I posted for turn signals. Just need to tap appropriate wires for that function on the Tectico harness. People have said it would be nice if Tectico made a harness. Now they have.
Not to worry. I've been a mechanic for 60 years. I know my way around a soldering gun.
Sponsored