Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Great idea and a relay is probably the lowest cost solution. Run an ignition switched line and the turn signal line to the relay. Only need to buy the single LED amber color side marker light which saves money over the dual color version. You are a genius.
You do have the added expense of the relay, but maybe now just tap into 1 side only to control both.
Sponsored

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
This is where I got the idea. Terminal 86 is the turn signal being the switch to activate it if my thinking is correct.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
This is where I got the idea. Terminal 86 is the turn signal being the switch to activate it if my thinking is correct.
And use a switched ignition line so itā€™s on when the car is running. When I checked the single amber color DZG side marker light was at least $10 less than the dual color version so offsetting the cost of the relay. Hereā€™s another pic of your idea.
Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install 1672425093473

cario65

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (ordered 8/11/22)
If someone does this method described by Winds of Change please post pics of wiring, parts, connection points, etc. Thanks šŸ˜

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
What I am going to do is buy a pre wired relay fuse box for a 5 circuit set up. This way I am also ready for the trail lights I will be adding. I will need to spread out the cost over a couple of weeks. At that point I will start to put together something. This will also give me time to think through anything I am not thinking of. I think there is a flaw in my thinking but not sure how to solve it yet.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
For those that might be interested I wanted to share my journey on trying to get these side marker lights working. For reference I have a 22 Badlands but I think the wiring should be the same in all.
Like others I did not want to ā€œtapā€ into or cut and splice into the factory harness. So to get around that I contacted Specialty Performance Part over at https://specialtyperformanceparts.com/ and after some back and forth I spoke with John and he sent me a ā€œkitā€ so I could make my own adapter to go between the factory harness and the headlight assembly. This is what those look like:
Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install D37C0EF7-F2C8-4BDD-8A5A-F3F6E97A3694

There are only 6 wires total and they correspond to pins 2,3,4,8,14, and 15 of the connectors. I then cut the wires off the newly made adapters and using the supplied non-insulated crimp style connectors and heat shrink I connected the side marker light to the adapter.
One thing I learned is that the wire colors and their associated function that have been discussed in a couple of these threads are a little confusing.
Obviously the Black wire of the side marker light connects to Ground, I thought about connecting this to a metal part of the car but decided to use the Ground connection on the adapter which is pin 8 and connects to the Black/Green wire on the Drivers Side and the Black/Purple wire on the Passenger Side.
Next I connected the Yellow wire for the Blinker function of the marker light to pin 2 of the adapter which connects to the Blue/Green wire on the Drivers Side and the Yellow/Purple wire on the Passenger Side.
I have the 3 wire version so next was the Red wire for ā€œDRLā€ and this is where the confusion started. I though about connecting it to the wires shown in a YouTube video but I also saw mention of people connecting it to a different wire on this forum and after searching around the internet thought that I had it all figured out. Well I can tell you for certain that connecting it to the White wire, pin 4 of the adapter, is the WRONG option. Connecting it to that wire caused the white lights to be on constantly even when the car was not running and locked with all other lights off. Iā€™m just guessing here but I think that wire provides power to the ā€œfanā€ that I think I hear running when the car is off.
The ultimate solution for the Red wire was to connect it to pin 3 of the adapter which connects to the Brown/Blue wire on the Drivers Side and the Blue/Green wire on the Passenger Side. The unfortunate result of this connection is that it is not a true DRL connection but actually Headlight connection itself meaning that the White light is only on when the Headlights are on and not just when the true DRL lights are on.
I only did some preliminary tests tonight as for one itā€™s dark out and for two I havenā€™t decided if Iā€™m going to keep the Red wire connected. I really wanted the white light on during the day and could care less about the night time.
It is worth noting that hooked up that way the white light does go off when the blinker comes on but that it a function of the circuitry in the little box more that anything else.
Sorry for the long post and as soon as I have things fully installed Iā€™ll post more pictures. Finally this solution did cost more than the automotive store crimp connectors but if I want to put it back to factory all I have to do is unplug everything.
When you refer to plug wire number locations are you looking at the male side or female side? Are the numbered left to right or right to left? Do you know what each wire in the connector actually does on the vehicle? I am trying to build upon your work and research but need more information to save some time. Thanks in advance for any addintional help you can provide.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
When you refer to plug wire number locations are you looking at the male side or female side? Are the numbered left to right or right to left? Do you know what each wire in the connector actually does on the vehicle? I am trying to build upon your work and research but need more information to save some time. Thanks in advance for any addintional help you can provide.
As far as the PIN numbers Iā€™m looking at it from the male connector on the headlight assembly that has the pins showing, also the plugs are labeled as such. So when looking at that connector the upper left is PIN 1 and the upper right is PIN 8, then of course the lower left is PIN 9 and the lower right is PIN 16.
Looking at the female plug only 6 wires are installed, to be honest I only know the Pin 8 is ground, Pin 2 is for the turn signal, and Pin 3 is the low beam headlight. As far as the remaining pins 4, 14, and 15 go. I can tell you that 4 constantly has power because on my first attempt I connected the red wire from the marker light to it and the white LEDs stayed lit all the time, even when the car was off. itā€™s possible that it supplies power and/or control to a module in the headlight assembly since the DRL lights donā€™t have a separate wire and neither to the high beams. Not sure what 14 and 15 do but maybe if 4 is only power for a module then maybe 14 and 15 are control wires to the BCM. Like I said not sure but hopefully some of this helps you.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
As far as the PIN numbers Iā€™m looking at it from the male connector on the headlight assembly that has the pins showing, also the plugs are labeled as such. So when looking at that connector the upper left is PIN 1 and the upper right is PIN 8, then of course the lower left is PIN 9 and the lower right is PIN 16.
Looking at the female plug only 6 wires are installed, to be honest I only know the Pin 8 is ground, Pin 2 is for the turn signal, and Pin 3 is the low beam headlight. As far as the remaining pins 4, 14, and 15 go. I can tell you that 4 constantly has power because on my first attempt I connected the red wire from the marker light to it and the white LEDs stayed lit all the time, even when the car was off. itā€™s possible that it supplies power and/or control to a module in the headlight assembly since the DRL lights donā€™t have a separate wire and neither to the high beams. Not sure what 14 and 15 do but maybe if 4 is only power for a module then maybe 14 and 15 are control wires to the BCM. Like I said not sure but hopefully some of this helps you.
It does thanks. I have parts ordered to make the adapter you had made. When that is completed I'll work on the relay idea. Thanks again.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
It does thanks. I have parts ordered to make the adapter you had made. When that is completed I'll work on the relay idea. Thanks again.
No problem. Canā€™t wait to see what you come up with.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you refer to plug wire number locations are you looking at the male side or female side? ā€¦
Winds of Changeā€¦ various people posted wiring diagrams and headlamp connection diagrams but some of those turned out to be Bronco not Bronco Sport. The attached pic might be for the Bronco Sport but please confirm before using. Looks like the pin out matches what another post stated. Pic states itā€™s for the left hand side and I donā€™t have the pic for right hand (passenger) side.

btw several people on this forum have access to the full wiring diagrams for the bronco sport so they might be able to help with correct pics.
Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install 1672546967730

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Winds of Changeā€¦ various people posted wiring diagrams and headlamp connection diagrams but some of those turned out to be Bronco not Bronco Sport. The attached pic might be for the Bronco Sport but please confirm before using. Looks like the pin out matches what another post stated. Pic states itā€™s for the left hand side and I donā€™t have the pic for right hand (passenger) side.

btw several people on this forum have access to the full wiring diagrams for the bronco sport so they might be able to help with correct pics.
Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install 1672546967730
Thanks this should help.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
How many LED's are in these? If the draw is 300ma or less I have found a solution.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many LED's are in these? If the draw is 300ma or less I have found a solution.
Looking for the specs meanwhile here is the DZG brand product (24 LEDs each side)ā€¦ Power: 4w (2w*2)ā€¦ 2w each side is 166mA. Same for TECTICO Side Marker Lights.
Ford Bronco Sport Tectico LED fender light side marker install 1672603354565

Last edited:

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I found a $5 per side solution possibly. It comes from the motorcycle world. Tomorrow I am going to give them a call to confirm it will work. Although I do not see a reason it would not. If it is confirmed I will post a link to the company website. šŸ¤ž

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I just received my Tetico side marker kit. I bought the simple 2 wire (black & red) wire kit. I am only going to wire it as an amber turn signal. The problem with this kit is the wire. It is only 18 gauge. I need to tap into the factory wiring with a different gauge of wire (heavier). Does anyone know of a quick connector that will join wires of different gauges? If I have to, I can strip a section of the factory wire, solder the connection and apply liquid electrical tape to the splice. Any other suggestions?

UPDATE: Just looking through Amazon and found my solution. Will be installing these in a few weeks, and will report the results.
Sponsored

Last edited: