Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Dealer put some fresh pads in this morning and cleaned the rotors. Will see if its better over the next few days.
Do you know if your dealership installed ceramic pads?
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Suggest you do a search for ceramic on this forum.

ā€œceramic brake pads, are quieter, are able to handle extremely high temperatures with quick recovery, causing less damage to the brake rotors, ceramic brake pads create a finer dust than semi-metallic brake pads leaving less debris on the vehicleā€™s wheels, typically last longer than semi-metallic brake pads, provide better noise control and less wear-and-tear to brake rotors, without sacrificing braking performance, Note: not all vehicles are compatible with ceramic brake padsā€

bclarke68

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ā€œceramic brake pads, are quieter, are able to handle extremely high temperatures with quick recovery, causing less damage to the brake rotors, ceramic brake pads create a finer dust than semi-metallic brake pads leaving less debris on the vehicleā€™s wheels, typically last longer than semi-metallic brake pads, provide better noise control and less wear-and-tear to brake rotors, without sacrificing braking performance, Note: not all vehicles are compatible with ceramic brake padsā€
Would you happen to have a part number for the Ceramic pads? If there even is a ford one. They are still writing up the paperwork to warranty it with Ford, as Ford wanted to close it out as a "wear" item / no problem / cosmetic issue.
I could confirm what they installed once I have the paperwork . The service team at Fox Ford is real good and want to make it right, but I think Ford is making it difficult for them.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Would you happen to have a part number for the Ceramic pads?
I collected some info but havenā€™t confirmed the links and part numbers I have are correct ā€¦ my ā€˜22 Badlands just started a light moan noise in reverse a few months ago and the sounds lasts no more than a second so not enough of an issue.

There will be part numbers or at least ceramic brake pad brands if you get time to do the search on the forum or Iā€™m sure others will post part numbers here for you.

Btw TSB 22-2326 is for Brakes: Updated caliper mounting hardware - Brake reverse noise and most people that have replaced their brake pads paid for it themselves since Ford typically would not pay for a wear out item like brake pads and because the rear brake noise is pretty much across all vehicles.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
My '22 Badlands is at nearly 8K miles now and no longer moans like a whale in heat. Perhaps it's more to do with the time of year than the miles. We shall see if it keeps quiet. I was never that offended by it in any case but it has seemed to have gone away for now.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Brake squeal occurs due to a number of factors, only one of which is pad material. It could be the pads themselves making noise, the rotor, or a resonance generated by multiple components. Changing pad material can sometimes eliminate brake squeal by changing the way components in the system interact with one another.

The bottom line is unless you know for a fact what is causing the noise switching to ceramic pads (or any other material) may or may not eliminate the noise. It might make it better; it might make it worse.

bclarke68

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brake squeal occurs due to a number of factors, only one of which is pad material. It could be the pads themselves making noise, the rotor, or a resonance generated by multiple components. Changing pad material can sometimes eliminate brake squeal by changing the way components in the system interact with one another.

The bottom line is unless you know for a fact what is causing the noise switching to ceramic pads (or any other material) may or may not eliminate the noise. It might make it better; it might make it worse.
agree 100%.
Whatever is causing it, the TSB made it worse, and its not normal compared to every other vehicle I have owned or operated.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

That was not the intent of my post .. the OP stated ā€œI think they put the exact same kind back in, he told me ceramic would be more likely to squeal vs semiā€.

I am not of the opinion that ceramic pads would be more likely to squeal vs semi-metallic pads. Certainly has not been my experience on other vehicles. And i have asked a few mechanics as well.

what are your thoughts on that specific topic?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what are your thoughts on that specific topic?
I was responding to the quote you included in your post regarding ceramic pads. If you're asking whether I think ceramic pads are more prone to squeal than other types I would say for all the reasons I posted, without testing it's not possible to state definitively whether ceramic brake pads are more or less prone to squeal for a given application. I see three possibilities regarding the technician who told @bclarke68 ceramic pads would cause more squeal. The technician:
  • was bullshitting to shine on a customer asking a legit question.
  • doesn't understand what causes brake squeal and was bullshitting to cover their ignorance.
  • has tried ceramic pads to fix this issue on another Bronco Sport and the squeal got worse.
IMHO, those are in order from most to least likely.

For anyone who doesn't really understand what causes brake squeal, this video from Porsche is enlightening:

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I was responding to the quote you included in your post regarding ceramic pads. If you're asking whether I think ceramic pads are more prone to squeal than other types I would say for all the reasons I posted, without testing it's not possible to state definitively whether ceramic brake pads are more or less prone to squeal for a given application. I see three possibilities regarding the technician who told @bclarke68 ceramic pads would cause more squeal. The technician:
  • was bullshitting to shine on a customer asking a legit question.
  • doesn't understand what causes brake squeal and was bullshitting to cover their ignorance.
  • has tried ceramic pads to fix this issue on another Bronco Sport and the squeal got worse.
IMHO, those are in order from most to least likely.

For anyone who doesn't really understand what causes brake squeal, this video from Porsche is enlightening:

Ford came to my house and did the bushing and pins back in September or October and has been fine since , oh yes donā€™t forget to put some silicone grease on those pins. Then again I know of someone whoā€™s dealer put new rotors and pads all around and the next day it made the same noise. I think ford is still trying to figure it out.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think ford is still trying to figure it out.
This. As noted in the video I posted previously, there are so many factors involvedā€”material, mechanical, environmental, etc.ā€”it's nigh impossible to determine precisely what's causing the noise. And often, what works to eliminate noise for one vehicle in one climate may not work for another.

The fix that has worked most often for me is two-fold: liberalā€”and I mean LIBERALā€”application of grease on moving parts (guide pins*, caliper glides, etc.) coupled with anti-squeal countermeasures on the backside of the brake pads. Countermeasures can be rubber pads, rubber-covered metallic shims, or even high temp grease applied directly to the backside of the brake pad.

* Do not apply grease to the ends of guide pins. Grease is not compressible; if you get grease in the guide pin slots it can prevent the guide pin from seating fully in the slot, which can interfere with brake operation (see video below). Brake systems are not particularly complicated, but you can endanger yourself and others if you don't know what you're doing.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
This. As noted in the video I posted previously, there are so many factors involvedā€”material, mechanical, environmental, etc.ā€”it's nigh impossible to determine precisely what's causing the noise. And often, what works to eliminate noise for one vehicle in one climate may not work for another.

The fix that has worked most often for me is two-fold: liberalā€”and I mean LIBERALā€”application of grease on moving parts (guide pins*, caliper glides, etc.) coupled with anti-squeal countermeasures on the backside of the brake pads. Countermeasures can be rubber pads, rubber-covered metallic shims, or even high temp grease applied directly to the backside of the brake pad.

* Do not apply grease to the ends of guide pins. Grease is not compressible; if you get grease in the guide pin slots it can prevent the guide pin from seating fully in the slot, which can interfere with brake operation (see video below). Brake systems are not particularly complicated, but you can endanger yourself and others if you don't know what you're doing.

Good to know, makes perfect sense . At 72 years old and I have been a car guy from age 16 years old ,working at a garage after school. That is some very informative information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge . Jim

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I had this done about 1500 miles ago and noise is back. They also replaced the rear pads. Brakes recently became squishy and BL doesnā€™t brake hard. Like you never get to the point that abs really bites. Just a mushy slow stop. Before the tsb they worked great, even touchy at times.
Iā€™ve had brake squeal. This is like harmonic vibration through the steering wheel. And is air horn loud. Iā€™ve been trying to get this sorted for 6+ months.

And ceramic pads may have some noise until you have some heat in them.
Sponsored