JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I don’t know how long ago disc brakes were invented, but I never heard of any other car or truck that had this issue in my almost 60 years of driving cars, SUVs and light trucks, including Ford Explorer and Expeditions. I read all the opinions by “home” mechanics and “semi – professional” mechanics, about the source of the problem, just to realize that there is no conclusive answer.

By no means am I considering myself as a Disc Brakes expert, but all evidence points to some radical change Ford made in the design of the brakes for the Broncos – could be change of the structure, materials or both – “If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a duck”.

Putting “extra grease” on the caliper pins or changing the pads material will be a temporary “Band-Aid” to a faulty design.

Only Ford has the true answer, but the solution may be too costly.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Sounds like people taking in for warranty work and dealer service messing stuff up and hoping people just go away. I would read on line reviews for dealer service see if you can find a dealer that has good mechanics and cares.

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Sounds like people taking in for warranty work and dealer service messing stuff up and hoping people just go away. I would read on line reviews for dealer service see if you can find a dealer that has good mechanics and cares.
Soon it will be blamed on the moon cycle.
The source of the problem has to be in the fundamental design

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Soon it will be blamed on the moon cycle.
The source of the problem has to be in the fundamental design
I got 10k miles on mine brakes are quiet and mine done sat baking in Mexican summer sun for 6 months waiting for chip after built.

But yeah some of these sports with brake noise not normal. Ford should fix but Ford warranty work not a good track record at most Ford dealers.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I had this done about 1500 miles ago and noise is back. They also replaced the rear pads. Brakes recently became squishy and BL doesn’t brake hard. Like you never get to the point that abs really bites. Just a mushy slow stop. Before the tsb they worked great, even touchy at times.
I’ve had brake squeal. This is like harmonic vibration through the steering wheel. And is air horn loud. I’ve been trying to get this sorted for 6+ months.

And ceramic pads may have some noise until you have some heat in them.
Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this brake concern for you? Thank you!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I’ve had brake squeal. This is like harmonic vibration through the steering wheel. And is air horn loud.
All brake squealing is due to harmonic vibrations. The differences in pitch and volume are a matter of degree.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
It vibrates my whole fucking steering wheel. It’s past a squeal.

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Mark, I agree - so why it is so prevalent in the Broncos? - isn't it linked to the fundamental design?
Look at the testing made by Porches in the process of designing brakes (as referenced by another member at: )
Is it too much to expect from Ford?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know how long ago disc brakes were invented, but I never heard of any other car or truck that had this issue in my almost 60 years of driving cars, SUVs and light trucks, including Ford Explorer and Expeditions. I read all the opinions by “home” mechanics and “semi – professional” mechanics, about the source of the problem, just to realize that there is no conclusive answer.
As mentioned in the video I posted, there are so many factors contributing to these kinds of noises it's nigh impossible to narrow it down to one specific cause. Porsche manufactures its own brakes, and its cars are recognized the world over as among the best-engineered vehicles available. Based on the video, it has what appears to be a laboratory setup just to study brake noises, yet clearly its cars still suffer from odd brake noises or it wouldn't have needed to produce a video explaining the issue to its customers.

...all evidence points to some radical change Ford made in the design of the brakes for the Broncos – could be change of the structure, materials or both – “If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a duck”.

Putting “extra grease” on the caliper pins or changing the pads material will be a temporary “Band-Aid” to a faulty design.
None of the site's "home" and/or "semi-pro" mechanics has any idea what's causing the problem, or how to fix it (a true statement, BTW), but somehow you have concluded it's a faulty design? Hmmm. Speculation is not evidence.

For the record, I've rotated the tires on my Badlands a couple of times now. When I do I inspect the brakes. They look very much like any of the dozens of disc brake systems I've looked at. There's nothing at all radical about them. It seems to me if there were a radical change resulting in a design flaw then far more owners would be reporting a problem. The fact that the issue is so randomly spread around the fleet is almost certainly part of the problem in finding a solution.

I strongly suspect this is not the case. I find it far more likely that the random nature of the issue has so far defeated Ford's efforts to find a universal solution.

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
As mentioned in the video I posted, there are so many factors contributing to these kinds of noises it's nigh impossible to narrow it down to one specific cause. Porsche manufactures its own brakes, and its cars are recognized the world over as among the best-engineered vehicles available. Based on the video, it has what appears to be a laboratory setup just to study brake noises, yet clearly its cars still suffer from odd brake noises or it wouldn't have needed to produce a video explaining the issue to its customers.

None of the site's "home" and/or "semi-pro" mechanics has any idea what's causing the problem, or how to fix it (a true statement, BTW), but somehow you have concluded it's a faulty design? Hmmm. Speculation is not evidence.

For the record, I've rotated the tires on my Badlands a couple of times now. When I do I inspect the brakes. They look very much like any of the dozens of disc brake systems I've looked at. There's nothing at all radical about them. It seems to me if there were a radical change resulting in a design flaw then far more owners would be reporting a problem. The fact that the issue is so randomly spread around the fleet is almost certainly part of the problem in finding a solution.

I strongly suspect this is not the case. I find it far more likely that the random nature of the issue has so far defeated Ford's efforts to find a universal solution.
With all due respect - considering the number of complaint by Broncos owner I think it is beyond "random". Never happened to me on any other car and never heard so many blames on warranty repairs that didn’t solve the problem because of the dealer's shop competency.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With all due respect - considering the number of complaint by Broncos owner I think it is beyond "random". Never happened to me and never heard so many blames on warranty repairs that didn’t solve the problem because of the dealer's shop competency.
I used the word "random" in the sense that the cause(s) of the issue are currently unknown and it's not universal. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's even a significant portion of the fleet. What is the percentage of owners complaining about this issue? I've been following reporting on this closely since I acquired my Badlands (no noises for me, BTW) and I don't know. If you have data please share.

Clearly, there is SOME cause(s) for this issue, which means it's not "random" by the strict definition of the word. But that some people have the problem and others don't, and Ford's "fix" works for some people but not everyone means no one currently knows the cause(s), which makes the issue random for all intents and purposes.

I get that this situation is frustrating for those experiencing it, but I don't see how speculative claims about design flaws and conspiracies to defraud people helps anyone. I hope that Ford comes up with a satisfactory resolution for everyone. In the meantime, I think everyone benefits if we stick to what we can prove rather than what we suspect.

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I used the word "random" in the sense that the cause(s) of the issue are currently unknown and it's not universal. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's even a significant portion of the fleet. What is the percentage of owners complaining about this issue? I've been following reporting on this closely since I acquired my Badlands (no noises for me, BTW) and I don't know. If you have data please share.

Clearly, there is SOME cause(s) for this issue, which means it's not "random" by the strict definition of the word. But that some people have the problem and others don't, and Ford's "fix" works for some people but not everyone means no one currently knows the cause(s), which makes the issue random for all intents and purposes.

I get that this situation is frustrating for those experiencing it, but I don't see how speculative claims about design flaws and conspiracies to defraud people helps anyone. I hope that Ford comes up with a satisfactory resolution for everyone. In the meantime, I think everyone benefits if we stick to what we can prove rather than what we suspect.
I don’t think it is a conspiracy but possibly a design change (structure or materials) that has not been tested thoroughly enough. I bought my used Badlands with 20K miles in June last year and after I bought it, when I pulled its service history through my FordPass I found 6 times (!) the general description of "Brakes". Made me suspect that the previous owner got tired of the trips to the dealer while attempting to fix it. I only experienced the "Moan noise" the day after I bought it. I thought it will go away by itself - but it never did. In one of my earlier posts I asked if this issue presents a safety concern and I was told that it does not.
Luckily my closest neighbors are far enough not to be bothered by the noise when I drive out of my garage, but it is quite (no pun intended) annoying.
Other than that I love my Bronco!

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands

By no means am I considering myself as a Disc Brakes expert, but all evidence points to some radical change Ford made in the design of the brakes for the Broncos – could be change of the structure, materials or both – “If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a duck”.

No brake expert here either, and yes it's a disappointment to deal with the moaning in reverse. Like you, I'd never heard of this issue before. This is the first car I've owned, with moaning brakes. My first Ford (2015 Escape) and second (2018 Fusion Sport) both had flawless brakes. I've had the TSB caliper pins fix done now on my 21 BS BL - and the moaning is still about the same. Like I stated in the other thread here related to this ("Brakes after TSB"), I'm deciding to coexist with the issue by altering my approach to it. But I did read up some on the issue, and it's been around a long time, and for many makes/models - not just Ford. Poking around in Google, I found these other car owners dealing with the moan:

2007 Lexus IS350 - Toyota Tundra (aftermarket parts) - 2012 Prius - 2021 Honda Hybrid EX - 2006 VW GTI - 2011 Honda Ridgeline - 2004 GMC Yukon Denali - 2003 Mustang Mach I (watch his video, at least the first part, you really need to hear his bada** supercharger!!) (BTW Ford issued an "anti-moan" kit for the Mustangs then, to solve the moaning brakes problem) - and 2021 Dodge Ram pickups (again - Dodge has made a similar anti-moan kit available for those).

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
No brake expert here either, and yes it's a disappointment to deal with the moaning in reverse. Like you, I'd never heard of this issue before. This is the first car I've owned, with moaning brakes. My first Ford (2015 Escape) and second (2018 Fusion Sport) both had flawless brakes. I've had the TSB caliper pins fix done now on my 21 BS BL - and the moaning is still about the same. Like I stated in the other thread here related to this ("Brakes after TSB"), I'm deciding to coexist with the issue by altering my approach to it. But I did read up some on the issue, and it's been around a long time, and for many makes/models - not just Ford. Poking around in Google, I found these other car owners dealing with the moan:

2007 Lexus IS350 - Toyota Tundra (aftermarket parts) - 2012 Prius - 2021 Honda Hybrid EX - 2006 VW GTI - 2011 Honda Ridgeline - 2004 GMC Yukon Denali - 2003 Mustang Mach I (watch his video, at least the first part, you really need to hear his bada** supercharger!!) (BTW Ford issued an "anti-moan" kit for the Mustangs then, to solve the moaning brakes problem) - and 2021 Dodge Ram pickups (again - Dodge has made a similar anti-moan kit available for those).
No matter how many are wrong – it doesn’t make it right.
This is FORD and it is the 21st Century.
Brakes are the most important safety parts of a car.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No matter how many are wrong – it doesn’t make it right.
This is FORD and it is the 21st Century.
Brakes are the most important safety parts of a car.
It's not a safety issue, otherwise there would be a recall and a stop-driving recommendation.
Sponsored