Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
I had the rear brakes done a month back. And since then I’ve noticed that the rears will hold the vehicle in place even after shifting in gear.
It used to move with just the idle. Now have to give it decent amount of gas to go forward before they pop free. Brakes hold isn’t on.
The brakes have become squishy and feel dangerous under heavy braking. I had to lock up the brakes yesterday and they don’t lock. It just slowed and took way longer than it should’ve. Abs also didn’t engage. Before the tsb they were grabby sensitive and had good pedal feel. Now they are mushy and don’t work well. Even on my gravel driveway slamming on the brakes they just slowly grab. They used to kick abs on and break hard to stop. They will stick it your stopped at a light and then go to start. Feels like the brake hold is on. Again it isn’t

Most things Ford seems to “fix” under warranty is done poorly and if I pay for the service it’s done right. I’ve had two instances where they couldn’t or wouldn’t fix things they already “fixed” under warranty that were still causing issues and affecting safety while driving. I paid out of pocket since they refused to work on it again, and magically the fix works.
Outside of replacing the brakes completely, what are my options. I’ve had multiple cases open with Ford corporate.

They’ve closed the cases since it’s been a year of issues and Ford still hasn’t been able to fix some things. Parts, techs, tools availabilities, etc.
I’ve been to multiple dealers. What good is a warranty? if the work is shoddy and then they refuse to redo warranty work to actually fix things. But then will book an appointment and charge for it and then they can magically fix it.
I really like my Bronco, but with all the issues and lack of any real help from Ford it’s disheartening.
What options do I really have???
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Do you have auto hold turned on? Center console button with the hand printed on it. That feature holds the brakes when you come to a stop at a stop light or stop sign. How many miles since they worked on the rear brakes? Could take some time for the pads to bed in so they won't be as powerful until that happens.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
I know all the features in the vehicle. Nothing is turned on. I mentioned that twice above. The brakes just feel bad. They’re sticky at stops and then don’t work well when you need to stop.

They were fine before the tsb work was done. Now Ford won’t do anything since they “already fixed them” per Ford. And they still make noise in reverse and the front brakes still sound like an air horn when braking in the morning.
Nothing was fixed. Just made worse by Ford and now they won’t actually fix them. I’m not paying out of pocket again to fix another one their fuck ups. Ford corporate is no help either.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Antying on the paperwork about bleeding the system? Maybe they introduced some air in the lines? Does the rear parking brake set ok? I know my focus has verbiage about servicing the rear brakes and having to pull the parking brake several times while bleeding. I don't have a BS service manual, not sure if the parking brake has to be re-adjusted or if there is a specific procedure when working on them.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
The parking brake works. The R/O are always vague from the dealer. They just say performed brake tsb. Working as intended.

dparleng

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
I also had the TSB applied, and I am also getting the same exact experience that you have described. Mine does not stay still when in reverse, but the brakes don't feel the same as they did. They feel very squishy, and you have to push pretty hard to come to a complete stop. I was giving it time to see if there is a wear in period, but it is still happening after 1K miles or so. The brakes were fine before the fix (except for the grinding in the rear brakes), but unfortunately that is still happening. I should have just left them.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
Yeah I’m more than 1k miles into the tsb also. The brakes have gotten worse feeling the more miles I put on.
Hopefully you don’t have to slam on your brakes. Someone pulled out of a spot at a gas station and me going maybe 5mph and slamming on the brakes I didn’t stop, just squish and then slowed. No abs, nothing. If person pulling out didn’t hit their brakes I would’ve hit them. If I was on a highway and had to stop quick, I’d be dead.
Before the tsb, if I stabbed the brakes they would bite and stop quick and abs would kick in.
I’ve seen another person on the forums that ended up replacing their brakes on their own dime because of how bad they were after the tsb was done.
I’m tired of paying to fix Fords work.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Frustrating indeed. Is there another dealer in the area that would be willing to look at it? Shouldn't have to do that but some dealers are just incompetent. I had the same TSB on my Escape done but the brakes felt fine after, was just the brake dust that was out of control with the new pads.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
RiotfunK, thanks for posting. My BS BL has 14k miles and started making the moan in reverse at about 10k. Busy with work, I couldn't get in to have the TSB done til last week. They replaced my faulty 12v battery, re-flashed the APIM since the head unit often blacked out while driving, and did two TSB repairs on the brakes (new front rotors, and the bushings for the rear brakes). I noticed yesterday after washing it, the moan still happens. (It has always been at its worst, summer or winter, after washing the car and getting the brakes wet). Also: I never use the Auto Hold function, so that's not a factor. Guess I will have to go back again to the dealer... though thanks to your post, I'm going to test out the brakes on a wet or gravel road first. For those who eventually decided to get their own parts to solve this - was it solvable with just getting new pads? If so, what pads or pad types are best for stopping the noise? I don't care about brake dust, so maybe that widens my choices some. Also: I never use the Auto Hold function, so that's not a factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
They’re replacing the apim module on mine Friday. I lose the whole center stack, all hvac, cams and all sensors. And then have to disconnect battery to get it work again half the time. Been waiting since October.
I just want the brakes to grab effectively. These do not inspire confidence. They feel glazed. There’s also slight scoring in my rotors that I’ve brought up multiple times to the dealer and Ford corporate. Tell me is normal. I have 10k on my brakes, it feels like 90k.

There’s def something wrong since they’re noticeably worse now than when it was done. Hopefully they can do something for me once it goes into the shop, yet again.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
...the rears will hold the vehicle in place even after shifting in gear.
That's not normal. I know you said you have auto hold disengaged, but are you certain the parking brake isn't on? There is a pair circular notices in the owner's manual about automatic engagement of the parking brake:

Pg 165:
Note: The electric parking brake could
automatically apply when you shift into park
(P). See Electric Parking Brake (page 175).
Pg 175:
Note: The electric parking brake could
automatically apply when you shift into park
(P). See Transmission (page 166).
Unfortunately, the manual isn't clear under what conditions the PB may automatically engage, but it's possible yours is engaging automatically. The parking brake automatically releases when you step on the accelerator pedal, which would explain your car's behavior. The next time you drive try manually releasing the parking brake to see of the car starts rolling.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Is not as tight as the brake hold. Like if I’m on an incline it’ll roll backwards. But if I put in gear it won’t go anywhere on flat ground.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What? Ford customer service SUCKS? I’m shocked. Try another dealer, however it’s dealer roulette. Just check reviews I guess and cross your fingers.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
All dealers have good reviews that’s the issue. I’m already at the third Ford dealer.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I totally empathize with your situation RiotfunK. For the APIM, I really am stuck with whatever the dealer can fix. My 12V battery, for which there's also a TSB/recall, they replaced no issue; although longer-term I've decided to use a deep-cycle Optima. For the brakes though, I'm thinking I will just upgrade to better pads myself (and maybe ask if the dealer will install those - or have a smaller shop do it). I've encountered brake issues in the past with some sporty cars (both Ford and GM) and at some point it's better to look for alternatives. This groaning in reverse, is apparently a common issue on many makes. I googled it and found Toyota, VW, BMW and 5Gen RAM owners all discussing it. I drive my cars hard, and often end up upgrading the brakes (I'm not saying you have been - or do - push yours too hard).
Sponsored