Should this be an insurance claim or under warranty?

• Total voters
OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Interesting, how fast were you going entering the water ?
Did the Engine stall when you hit the water ?

Clean Filter may just mean water got sucked in down stream of the Filter . With the Engine running , exhaust pressure , even with a Turbo , will keep the Exhaust clear . Makes you wonder what else could be compromised to allow water in to the Oil system .
My fiance was driving. I was working. She said she moved over to the side to avoid the water and got stuck in mud. As she struggled back and forth to get out of the mud the car slipped sideways toward the water until it was in about 15 inches of water. It was a rural dirt road.
Sponsored

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
That sucks. I had a Dodge Charger and came upon some water that was less than 6 inches deep. I started creeping through and then sped up enough towards the end that the water came up over the hood. End of story - hydrolocked. Insurance paid for a rebuilt engine and I went on my way. I thought they would total as well but they didn’t (approx. 20k miles). I hope they can get you back on the road soon.

Last edited:

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
What is there a speed limit to the 23.6" water-fording?
I would not know
But I took my Big Bend (17” water fording ) on a paved road with 12” flooding at high speed. Was fun , flawless handling ! Only issue was my air horn fuse got wet and blew out ( $.15 repair ??)

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My fiance was driving. I was working. She said she moved over to the side to avoid the water and got stuck in mud. As she struggled back and forth to get out of the mud the car slipped sideways toward the water until it was in about 15 inches of water. It was a rural dirt road.
this is what she was driving when I first met her.
Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? 20190615_145812

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Was going to ask that because of the Muddy water thrown on the BS from that divers side Wheel , which just happens to be where the ECM & some Connectors are . Be it hydro cocked or the ECM or one of its Connectors , the end result would be a dead Motor .

Muddy water in the Oil , is not good .

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Looks to me that muddy water came off the tire trying to reverse out of the hole or one before that.

stoopidrookie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That’s what insurance is for.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
a new engine should cost $4-5k on average. Your vehicle is worth $36-38k. I don’t know why anyone would say it might be totaled .

That creek looks under the 23” fording limit of the vehicle. Make em do it under warranty if they refuse you have can sue em for false marketing ( as a Ford stock holder I hope they just fix under warranty as opposed to paying the cost of fighting you in court )
I would note that the 23.6in water fording ability only applies to models with the Wildpeak tires, this model appears to have the Pirellis which are smaller

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
0.5-1" difference? Just curious.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We all need to accept that this is not a floating goat.
Also, make sure it's not antifreeze in that oil...there has been some lawsuits about that.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Yeah mentioning it barely reached the bumper....that A-post tells a different story all together. Granted I still think this sucks and should manage that kind of off roading based on what they advertise but hoo doggy...that's a mess.
I've done a fair amount of offroading, dirt bikes, ATVs, trucks and jeeps. the force of water can do strange things.
why I was curious about under hood was how much got up in there. since the air cleaner was clean my suspicions were leaning toward a knocked off charge pipe. they go from the turbo in the back, to the cooler in front and then back to the intake. plenty of opportunities for a failure. if one of those came loose or cracked the engine would quickly hoover in some water and hydro lock. pure speculation of course but I've seen stranger.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've done a fair amount of offroading, dirt bikes, ATVs, trucks and jeeps. the force of water can do strange things.
why I was curious about under hood was how much got up in there. since the air cleaner was clean my suspicions were leaning toward a knocked off charge pipe. they go from the turbo in the back, to the cooler in front and then back to the intake. plenty of opportunities for a failure. if one of those came loose or cracked the engine would quickly hoover in some water and hydro lock. pure speculation of course but I've seen stranger.
Oh yeah I have no idea from xthousand miles away. Unfortunate no matter how you look at it.

Raff Catalan

First Name
Raff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Wildtrak
I've seen Bronco photos and videos on a lot more water, water even over the hood in a quick entry. What a strange thing, I was worried...
Sponsored