Should this be an insurance claim or under warranty?

• Total voters

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
$8600 engine, I'd call my insurance company and urge them to total the thing. Expensive lesson it is. I never drive into off road water or close enough that it might cave in. Unless I know what's under it when it's dry.
4x4 101.
Sponsored

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Probably no parts to fix it.

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
The dealer left us in the dark for 10 days. It wasn't until I called the owner of the dealership that I found out that they hadn't even looked at the car. We haven't been able to get a straight answer from amyone; Ford corporate, the dealer, or the insurance company. I told the dealerI it was negligence to allow the car to sit there knowing what the situation was.
The dealer I went with footed the bill originally and didn't wait for Ford to give the go ahead. The first dealer in Moab I dropped it off at had no interest in looking at it, which sounds like the same thing in your case. I was limited in options, but I called several dealers and just so happens the next closest one was super enthusiastic to look at it. Horrible that service at the dealerships can be so varied. Any luck with customer service?

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Here's all the photo's the dealer sent me. I appreciate everyone's help. To summarize; my fiancé was driving on a dirt road in AZ and came up to this area of water. She attempted to go around it but got stuck in mud. The photos tell the story...lots of mud. She wasn't able to get traction, the left side wheels were on more solid ground, the right side very slippery clay-based mud and water, she eventually slid down into the water. The air filter was completely clean and dry. The tow truck operator checked the oil and saw it was filled with water. We had it towed it to the dealership. It sat for more than a week with the muddy water in the engine before it was looked at. The insurance company was supposed to look at the car today for the first time, more than three weeks after it happened... this is strange considering one of their "claim response Vehicles" is visible in one of the photos. Please let me know if you see anything in the photos that might explain what happened. The Bronco Sport is supposed to be able to wade in 23.6 inches of water.

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco2

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? bronco3

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco4

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco5

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco6

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco7

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco8

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco9

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco10

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco11

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've seen that happen with vehicles that were caught in a flood, muddy water finds it's way inside of the engine. Obviously the time it sat to when the dealer actually started looking at it makes it even worse, someone needs to check everything. Crazy sad situation.

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I contacted Ford on Friday and provided all the details. They said I would receive a call from them within 1 business day. It's Wednesday and I haven't heard from anyone at Ford. I called the dealership. They've had the car since July 31st. As of yesterday, August 10th, they still hadn't looked at the car. The muddy water was still sitting in the engine. Although no water flowed into cabin, there was plenty dragged in by getting in and out a few times. The dealership owner said the car stunk. The dealerships excuse is that they are backed up three weeks
All the same pain with Ford I went through. I finally got a customer service person tell me they are not allowed to call people back.

JoFa

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ecosport
Here's all the photo's the dealer sent me. I appreciate everyone's help. To summarize; my fiancé was driving on a dirt road in AZ and came up to this area of water. She attempted to go around it but got stuck in mud. The photos tell the story...lots of mud. She wasn't able to get traction, the left side wheels were on more solid ground, the right side very slippery clay-based mud and water, she eventually slid down into the water. The air filter was completely clean and dry. The tow truck operator checked the oil and saw it was filled with water. We had it towed it to the dealership. It sat for more than a week with the muddy water in the engine before it was looked at. The insurance company was supposed to look at the car today for the first time, more than three weeks after it happened... this is strange considering one of their "claim response Vehicles" is visible in one of the photos. Please let me know if you see anything in the photos that might explain what happened. The Bronco Sport is supposed to be able to wade in 23.6 inches of water.

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco2

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? bronco3

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco4

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco5

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco6

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco7

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco8

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco9

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco10

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco11
I wonder if this has anything to do with the active shutters? The front grill on the Bronco Sport has active shutters. When the vehicle is on the highway the shutters close because there is sufficient air flow to cool the engine. When the vehicle is stuck in stop and go traffic in the city, the shutters open to increase air flow to cool the engine. If the driver is stuck in mud and revving the engine, this may create more heat in the engine causing the shutters to open. This makes it easier for water to get sucked into the intake. This may what have happened here. Just an opinion.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The look of that mud spray appears that she was going faster than 4 mph.
Read back he said she was going around and slid sideways into hole. Spinning tires can sling mud everywhere especially when turned.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Looks like Progressive was is for work also. They must have gotten theirs in weeks earlier than you. Sorry you have had such trouble with dealer's service dept.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
Doug, really sorry to read about this. Just catching up today. Mud is bad all around - no matter what you drive or accidently sliding into it - leaves you helpless. Classic wrong place at the wrong time. - Had a friend try to navigate through a construction site and misjudged what his Jeep Liberty could do- but mud stops everything - there's even a guy's channel on YouTube- recovers all things stuck in mud.
Hope you and your girl have plans to go to the OFF-RODEO- I'm waiting for Utah to open up for Sports- just find out today only TEXAS has the Sports for training. Best Wishes to you and her.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
When I ordered mine I checked with the insurance about off road coverage. It would add $75 to my premium. I guess when it comes in it will definitely be added when I start off roading.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
S'Up Omaha,

Page 246 of the manual states:
Drving through Water Limitations
BASE= 17.7 in.
BADLANDS = 23.6 in.
"When you are driving through water do not exceed 4 mph"

Poolman Bruce ?
I thought I read something about the speed and water fording before.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Just in case you didn't see it else in the post. She was actually looking for a house for sale and the GPS took her down this road alongside a golf course. The water was there due to a storm. She was stuck in mud but ended up in the water. This was only 100 yards off a paved road. Still haven't been given any answers.
GPS is only 1 tool that should be used when navigating. Trust a former truck driver who used vehicle specific GPS units

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I wonder if this has anything to do with the active shutters? The front grill on the Bronco Sport has active shutters. When the vehicle is on the highway the shutters close because there is sufficient air flow to cool the engine. When the vehicle is stuck in stop and go traffic in the city, the shutters open to increase air flow to cool the engine. If the driver is stuck in mud and revving the engine, this may create more heat in the engine causing the shutters to open. This makes it easier for water to get sucked into the intake. This may what have happened here. Just an opinion.
Those are for air flow over the radiator and intercooler. DO these have intercoolers? Not sure if all turbos require them or not. Im old school. No replacement for displacement.