Should this be an insurance claim or under warranty?

• Total voters

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Two options are being considered. Engine replacement or totaled.

UPDATED with photo and questions/answers:

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? 20210731_122535

If the engine is lost, it sounds like water got into it. Bad seal?

I've always wondered, what happens when the exhaust system gets submerged?

Don't think the engine would be a loss if it was just that computer module that is placed in the wheel well like the one guy on here had to deal with.
From what I understand if the engine is on the exhaust system has enough pressure that water won’t go thru it.

I have a big bend and I went thru roads flooded 12 + inches no problem ( big bend limit in 17” water crossing)
Still to early to tell what the outcome will be. The tow truck operator checked the oil and showed me it was mixed with muddy water. The air filter was completely clean. Towed it to the dealership.

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco2

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? bronco3

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco4

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco5

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco6

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco7

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco8

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco9

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco10

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? Bronco11
Sponsored

Last edited:

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Huh? Elaborate please. That sux. Possible parts vehicle if totaled?

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex

Don't think the engine would be a loss if it was just that computer module that is placed in the wheel well like the one guy on here had to deal with.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
From what I understand if the engine is on the exhaust system has enough pressure that water won’t go thru it.

I have a big bend and I went thru roads flooded 12 + inches no problem ( big bend limit in 17” water crossing)

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? 20210731_122535

Still to early to tell what the outcome will be. The tow truck operator checked the oil and showed me it was mixed with muddy water. The air filter was completely clean. Towed it to the dealership.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend

a new engine should cost $4-5k on average. Your vehicle is worth $36-38k. I don’t know why anyone would say it might be totaled .

That creek looks under the 23” fording limit of the vehicle. Make em do it under warranty if they refuse you have can sue em for false marketing ( as a Ford stock holder I hope they just fix under warranty as opposed to paying the cost of fighting you in court )

Reactions: Jrl

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Bad seal somewhere. Could be bad design, but it's most likely a manufacturing miss or bad part.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I hope Ford covers this under warranty and it would be nice if they give you a free loaner car too.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
If they start breaking your tomatoes, threaten to turn that pic into a Jeep advertisement.

But seriously, sucks this happened and I hope your dealer gives you a loaner -- seems like many aren't even doing that these days.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Interesting, how fast were you going entering the water ?
Did the Engine stall when you hit the water ?

Clean Filter may just mean water got sucked in down stream of the Filter . With the Engine running , exhaust pressure , even with a Turbo , will keep the Exhaust clear . Makes you wonder what else could be compromised to allow water in to the Oil system .

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
How much off roading were you doing before you got to that water?

Wondering if something could have hit the oil pan, and the water got in that way.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Seeing how far mud splashed up the A post I'd sure like to see an under hood photo

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Seeing how far mud splashed up the A post I'd sure like to see an under hood photo
Yeah mentioning it barely reached the bumper....that A-post tells a different story all together. Granted I still think this sucks and should manage that kind of off roading based on what they advertise but hoo doggy...that's a mess.
Sponsored