Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
I wonder how many people actually thought their Bronco Sport was a true 4x4
Only the old guys will remember getting out and manually locking up the front wheels at the hub. :’P
Ah, those were the days. 👍 😢

The problem was, as four-wheel drive vehicles got more popular, people bought them who really never ever used them, or knew how too.

If you knew you were going to either hit some snow, or go offroad, you would go and lock the hubs beforehand, and drive it in 2 Hi. It also allowed for the drying out of the bearings/universal joints in the axles. It was always a recommendation to lock the hubs at least once a months and drive for around 20 miles or so to keep them dry by the manufacturers, which people didn't do, and so had problems w/bearings and universals failing.

Even the Hubs tended to corrode in the unlocked position, if not used requiring them to be rebuilt, and/or if you went driving in water w/them.

They then went to Automatic Hubs, but they too corroded in the open position due to not being used, and so never worked right.

Next, they went w/the shift on the fly, w/the Jeep Wranglers, as did Toyota, w/no Hubs at all, which used a vacuum actuator in the axle, which was a pain to use in order to mesh everything up. The axle had to engage first, allowing for the drive shaft to turn, allowing for the gears in the transfer case to mesh up allowing you to shift into 4 Hi. You could by-pass the Vacuum Actuator by plumbing it to stay closed, which work much better, and w/the Toyota's, which still used the old wheel Hubs, w/simple locking plates, you could add manual Hubs to them.

With the Jeep JK's they went to a simple solid axle w/no Hubs or actuator, and they shifted w/no problems because the driveshaft was always turning.

Then w/the Jeep JL's they went back to the actuator in the front axle again, using an electric one, and once again, it was hard to shift into 4 Hi again.

Audi/Subaru came out w/their all-wheel drive, which works pretty damn good. Of course it wasn't designed for off-roading, but going through snow on the highway, and on wet roads, it actually worked better than part-time does.
Sponsored

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I wonder how many people actually thought their Bronco Sport was a true 4x4
Only the old guys will remember getting out and manually locking up the front wheels at the hub. :’P
Yes I do remember getting out to lock the hubs when the roads got worse lol I have seen Ford refer to AWD and in some ads 4X4 on the Bronco Sport.

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
Some of us are more seasoned than others, and yeah, I have "fond" memories of all those "systems" -- (1) Toyota, ( 1) International, (2) Fords, (4) Jeeps and now, my old age "off roader", the BSBL. This has more than I'll ever need -- it'll get me through the SoCal streets and mall parking lots no matter how flooded they get now that we're getting some weather again!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
What I really want to know is: if I put 4x4 stickers on my Sport, would I be laughed it: I'm ever soooo sensitive.
I say slap 'em on there. Very few people will know the difference.

Plus, everyone is so polite up there in Canada that I doubt you'd get laughed at. :cool:

For that matter put a couple of these on the fenders:

Ford Bronco Sport Ford AWD / 4WD Explained: Bronco vs. Bronco Sport vs. Maverick 1679956628026

MDwayne

Big Bend
First Name
MDwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport, 18 Zion SRT, 73 VW Super Beetle
I say slap 'em on there. Very few people will know the difference.

Plus, everyone is so polite up there in Canada that I doubt you'd get laughed at. :cool:

For that matter put a couple of these on the fenders:

Ford Bronco Sport Ford AWD / 4WD Explained: Bronco vs. Bronco Sport vs. Maverick 1679956628026
Well yeah, I see what you mean, but I was thinking something closer to the traditional 4x4 theme. Also, as a Canadian, I was going to go with something closer to our modest, subtle persona:

Ford Bronco Sport Ford AWD / 4WD Explained: Bronco vs. Bronco Sport vs. Maverick 1679969344746

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well yeah, I see what you mean, but I was thinking something closer to the traditional 4x4 theme. Also, as a Canadian, I was going to go with something closer to our modest, subtle persona:

Ford Bronco Sport Ford AWD / 4WD Explained: Bronco vs. Bronco Sport vs. Maverick 1679969344746
Very cool! Did you create that?

MDwayne

Big Bend
First Name
MDwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport, 18 Zion SRT, 73 VW Super Beetle
Very cool! Did you create that?
Alas no, I am not that talented (talentless?). I just googled outrageous 4x4 emblems and voila.

NaysBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Glad that I have IWEs on my F150 instead of manual locking hubs. But I am crossing my fingers that I don't have to replace them or the vacuum solenoid too often.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Great thread. For a person like me that had limited experience with AWD/4x4 experience, this is very informative to bring me into the AWD (Bronco Sport) world.

Should there be any need for a 67 Camaro SS with positraction explanation, I can offer assistance.

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thread. For a person like me that had limited experience with AWD/4x4 experience, this is very informative to bring me into the AWD (Bronco Sport) world.

Should there be any need for a 67 Camaro SS with positraction explanation, I can offer assistance.
I also have a '67 Camaro, but it is only an "SS" because I bought the emblems. :cool:

I got it in 1977 when I was in high school. It was just a basic, stripped Camaro -- 250 c.i. straight 6 with a 2-speed "Powerglide" (aka "Powerslide") transmission, and open rear diff. I replaced that with a 402 big block, Turbo 400 trans, and posi rear.

I've gotta review those articles (above) about AWD so I can talk about it semi-intelligently.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I also have a '67 Camaro, but it is only an "SS" because I bought the emblems. :cool:

I got it in 1977 when I was in high school. It was just a basic, stripped Camaro -- 250 c.i. straight 6 with a 2-speed "Powerglide" (aka "Powerslide") transmission, and open rear diff. I replaced that with a 402 big block, Turbo 400 trans, and posi rear.

I've gotta review those articles (above) about AWD so I can talk about it semi-intelligently.
Mine is no longer a numbers matching 67 either. It too had a straight 6 with powerglide (actually a great transmission for drag racing, especially if its an aluminum case (light weight). Mine has a period correct 350 CI with a TH350 automatic.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is no longer a numbers matching 67 either. It too had a straight 6 with powerglide (actually a great transmission for drag racing, especially if its an aluminum case (light weight). Mine has a period correct 350 CI with a TH350 automatic.
Trying not to go too much further off-topic...

I should have gone with a small block and TH350. As a 16 y.o. kid all I knew was that I wanted a big block. If I was doing it again now I'd go with a small block for lighter weight and the higher rev limit.

At the end of the day, since the numbers don't match it probably doesn't matter much what's in there -- it isn't stock.

I can understand serious collectors wanting everything to be original. Personally, I'm a big fan of resto-mods. They are almost always less expensive than a numbers matching car, and typically perform better with modern brakes, suspension, wheels & tires, and drivetrain.
Sponsored

Last edited: