sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
In addition to the 2 AWD/4WD articles I linked to above (post #40) I found this one:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

All 3 are worth reading. The Jalopnik article is long and detailed. I'm into this stuff but my eyes began to glaze over.

Remember, I'm just the messenger:

The author is somewhat critical of the AWD system in the BS BL:

Modern “4WD Lock” Buttons
"This brings me to something of a personal sore spot with some on-demand AWD vehicles - buttons that suggest that a center or rear differential can be locked. A prime example would be the new Bronco Sport Badlands which has what looks like a center and rear diff lock button. Given that they have no center differential, or even rear differential (more on that in a minute), what do these actually do?"

“Most are just little more than a marketing gimmick,” says Chip. “They lock the coupling for a short time, usually only at low speeds. Some stay locked with steering input and others open the coupling [as needed].”

("Chip" is "Chip Fairbanks, an engineer who worked on various AWD systems for a major supplier")

This video demonstrates what the author is talking about. It's not a BS, but apparently a similar system:

"SNOW vs LOCK vs AUTO - Suzuki Vitara 1.4T All Grip on ice & snow - 4WD control"

My response is that 'the proof is in the pudding. As we all know, the BS BL does VERY well in real-world off-road conditions.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
“They lock the coupling for a short time, usually only at low speeds. Some stay locked with steering input and others open the coupling [as needed].”
I don't understand this criticism. As far as I know there are no time limits on the locks. There are restrictions based on heat and vehicle speed. The heat restriction prevents damage to the clutch packs, and the speed restriction saves wear on the system by disengaging the clutches when not needed. Unless you just want to hoon around in loose sand or snow, the only time you need all the wheels locked is in extreme low-traction situations, which generally means low speed. What am I missing?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand this criticism. As far as I know there are no time limits on the locks. There are restrictions based on heat and vehicle speed. The heat restriction prevents damage to the clutch packs, and the speed restriction saves wear on the system by disengaging the clutches when not needed. Unless you just want to hoon around in loose sand or snow, the only time you need all the wheels locked is in extreme low-traction situations, which generally means low speed. What am I missing?
I agree. That's my understanding also.

I would have completely disregarded it except for the fact that he specifically mentions the Badlands, and even has a photo of the GOAT modes control.

It's possible that the author is just being pedantic when he says:

""This brings me to something of a personal sore spot with some on-demand AWD vehicles - buttons that suggest that a center or rear differential can be locked. A prime example would be the new Bronco Sport Badlands which has what looks like a center and rear diff lock button. Given that they have no center differential, or even rear differential (more on that in a minute), what do these actually do?"

IOW, perhaps he is hung up on the labeling -- the fact there is no center or rear diff?

The owner's manual does refer to "differential(s)" which could be considered misleading.

I'm not prone to giving Ford the benefit of the doubt, but in this case it may be that they figured "diff/differential" is what people are used to, so they stuck with that terminology.

Still, setting that potential criticism aside, the article does refer to a variety of vehicles with several different "hang-on" AWD systems. Apparently the system in the Suzuki (in the video) does not engage fully and has time limits.

Just guessing, but maybe the author was under the impression that the system in the BS BL operates the same way?

I definitely like the idea of being able to manually lock the center and rear -- and have them remain locked (subject to heat and speed restrictions). I would feel misled if that is not the case -- but as I noted above, the bottom line is real-world performance compared to other similar vehicles.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I don't believe the full-size Bronco has a traditional transfer case either--pretty sure it's clutch based.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe the full-size Bronco has a traditional transfer case either--pretty sure it's clutch based.
That could be. When I was younger, I used to follow the auto industry more closely. I subscribed to 3-4 car magazines, and typically read them cover to cover. These days, I read some here and there, but I'm not familiar with the drivetrain in the full-size Bronco.

If my wife and I lived where we had to do some serious off-roading on a regular basis, I'd want actual manually locking diffs. That set-up might be "crude" but it is solid. No worries about overheating, etc.

Better would be that 'locker' system with a "full-time" function for use on pavement.

For most people though (ourselves included) the AWD system in the BS, and certainly the BS BL (with water cooling), should be more than adequate. I've been impressed by the videos I've seen.
Sponsored