sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I learned something!

Good video.

There are probably dozens of different AWD and 4WD systems. It is important that people know what they are getting.

Members of car/truck focused forums like the Bronco Sport Forum are better informed than the general public, but even enthusiasts can't keep track of all of the various systems mfrs use and how they operate.

It would be helpful for buyers if there were a simple graphic (like the ones used in the video) that would show at a glance the capability of the system -- ONE wheel drive, like my WRX and an automatic RAV4 we test drove years ago; or true AWD like the BL. IOW -- how many tires must lose traction for the vehicle to be stuck?
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be as little as 1.
EXACTLY!

That's the case with my 2002 5MT WRX sedan, as well as a new 1997 5AT RAV4 "AWD" we test drove (we wanted, and bought a 5-speed manual -- the 5AT was the only one available to drive).

I posted more detail about both of them in another thread, but bottom line, if just ONE (1) tire loses traction, you're stuck. "From the wheels that grip to the wheels that slip!"

There is a huge variation in the performance of AWD and 4WD systems.

For a window sticker to say "AWD" or "4WD" is all but meaningless. It's as if the sticker just said "Engine" or "Transmission".

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For a window sticker to say "AWD" or "4WD" is all but meaningless. It's as if the sticker just said "Engine" or "Transmission".
Judging from some of the media, it seems Ford is working hard to blur the line between 4WD and AWD. I hope that when my Badlands finally gets here it lives up to all the hype. I know I don't need traditional 4WD, but sometimes the unreasonable desire is there. Everything I've seen gives the impression that the system in the BS will be more than enough for what I require.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Judging from some of the media, it seems Ford is working hard to blur the line between 4WD and AWD. I hope that when my Badlands finally gets here it lives up to all the hype. I know I don't need traditional 4WD, but sometimes the unreasonable desire is there. Everything I've seen gives the impression that the system in the BS will be more than enough for what I require.
I see what you mean. From the Ford link:

"Built Wild™ 4x4 confidence

Like the larger Bronco, the Bronco Sport SUV delivers the 4x4 off-road capability that made the original Bronco a legend. With off-road performance at its core, all Bronco Sport models provide solid footing on the trails.

For maximum off-road capability, Badlands models pack an advanced 4x4 system with a twin-clutch rear-drive unit with a differential lock feature to allow greater off-road performance – similar to a traditional mechanical locking differential. The system can divert virtually all rear axle torque to either wheel."

~

In that short segment, they use "4x4" three times.

There is definitely confusion between "4x4" and "AWD". The vehicle mfrs don't help. This C&D article is better than most: "AWD vs. 4WD Explained":
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

"One of the easiest ways to know if your vehicle has all-wheel drive or four-wheel drive is to crack open the owner's manual. If it warns against activating the system on dry pavement, you have four-wheel drive. Barring that, the system is likely all-wheel drive."

Video embedded in C&D article:
"4MATIC vs QUATTRO - Mercedes W205 C200 vs Audi A6 2.0 TDI - 4x4 test on rollers":
Spoiler: With 3 tires on rollers they are stuck. Epic fail for expensive German sport sedans:

Another good C&D article: "All-Wheel-Drive Systems Explained":
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15102281/best-all-wheel-drive-system/
Quote:
"By our definition, four-wheel-drive vehicles, mainly trucks, can only lock their front and rear driveshafts so that each axle always turns at the same speed."

The BL does live up to the hype, it just isn't a 4x4 system. There is no transfer case or low range gearing. Instead, it is a very capable AWD system -- way better than my 2002 WRX.

We live on what passes for a mountain in this part of Maryland. Our road has a section with a 25% incline with a sharp right at the bottom (must approach slow) and a hard left half way up. The WRX with winter tires will scramble up if the snow isn't too deep/slick. The RAV4 with its locking center diff and Torsen rear will walk up it almost no matter what. I have no doubt that the Badlands will be even better than the RAV4 -- if for no other reason than it has TC to limit front wheel spin and transfer torque (the RAV4 has an open front diff and no TC).

I can't see the BL getting stuck in any 'normal' driving situation.

IMHO, 4x4 can definitely be useful but the people who really need it are a very small percentage of all drivers: People into serious off-roading; towing heavy trailers up steep dirt roads; and pulling stumps. :cool:

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"One of the easiest ways to know if your vehicle has all-wheel drive or four-wheel drive is to crack open the owner's manual. If it warns against activating the system on dry pavement, you have four-wheel drive. Barring that, the system is likely all-wheel drive."
Doesn't the new 4A mode in the advance 4X4 system of big Broncos kind of negate this old saw?

Devil's Advocate Mode on: because the Badlands system uses torque vectoring rather than brake vectoring isn't is functionally more like 4WD than AWD except it uses clutches rather than gears to distribute power and works by putting power where it can be used rather than preventing power spillage? An argument (maybe not a great or fully fleshed out one) could be made. DAM off.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't the new 4A mode in the advance 4X4 system of big Broncos kind of negate this old saw?

Devil's Advocate Mode on: because the Badlands system uses torque vectoring rather than brake vectoring isn't is functionally more like 4WD than AWD except it uses clutches rather than gears to distribute power and works by putting power where it can be used rather than preventing power spillage? An argument (maybe not a great or fully fleshed out one) could be made. DAM off.
Many 4x4 trucks and SUVs have a "4A" mode. The C&D article touches on that. 4A is essentially AWD.

To the extent there is a definition, to be "4x4/4WD" a vehicle must have a transfer case to mechanically lock the front and rear axles, and it must have "low range" gearing.

At the end of the day however, all that matters is how a given system performs. The AWD in the BS BL is *very* good. One potential improvement would be a locking front diff, but the TC (brake vectoring) works pretty well.

If low range gearing is not part of the 4x4 definition, then our '97 RAV4 is a 4x4, because the center diff can be manually locked. The drawback is that it should not be driven on pavement when locked.

For most of us, AWD is preferable because it is engaged all the time. It just isn't as good for extreme off-roading which the vast majority of people do not do.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
For most of us, AWD is preferable because it is engaged all the time. It just isn't as good for extreme off-roading which the vast majority of people do not do.
This is truly the key with the sport, and really 90% of broncos, and jeep wranglers. I live in a flatland suburbia. There ARE trails...but most ORV types here drive to get their starbucks and love the sound of the big knobbies humming on the highway. The most dirt their vehicle will touch is some spilloff when they don't clean the gutters. It's not an insult, they bought the vehicle, but everyone needs to stop pretending dedicated true 4x4 matters... For a handful of get dirty trail enthusiasts sure it does. For some who just want to tinker...yep that 4x4 helps. My mechanic is a hard core, trailer out mud loving jeeper. He truly goes all in, axles deep all over the country. Rocks, mud, water fording, he's all in and trying to get me started with the sport. For now...it gets me to work, takes me through snow, and the occasional dirt trail with minimal strain. That's all most of these will ever do.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The most dirt their vehicle will touch is some spilloff when they don't clean the gutters. It's not an insult, they bought the vehicle, but everyone needs to stop pretending dedicated true 4x4 matters... For a handful of get dirty trail enthusiasts sure it does. For some who just want to tinker...yep that 4x4 helps.
This is the way. Many owners who pay for dedicated off-road vehicles like Jeeps and the full-sized Broncos will never drive them off road either. And even if their owners do take them off-road many wouldn't know how to operate the various systems to get the most out of them.

The automated system in the FE and Badlands is almost a no-brainer. When I did the Off-Rodeo I often left it set to NORMAL mode when the guide told us to use one of the other modes just to see what the car would do. It never faltered once; it drove through, up, and over everything without ever having to switch out of NORMAL. THIS is the true value of the system in my mind. The advantages this no-brainer system bestows on the average owner more than compensates for the fringe performance gains you get with the purpose-built off-road vehicles.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This is the way. Many owners who pay for dedicated off-road vehicles like Jeeps and the full-sized Broncos will never drive them off road either. And even if their owners do take them off-road many wouldn't know how to operate the various systems to get the most out of them.

The automated system in the FE and Badlands is almost a no-brainer. When I did the Off-Rodeo I often left it set to NORMAL mode when the guide told us to use one of the other modes just to see what the car would do. It never faltered once; it drove through, up, and over everything without ever having to switch out of NORMAL. THIS is the true value of the system in my mind. The advantages this no-brainer system bestows on the average owner more than compensates for the fringe performance gains you get with the purpose-built off-road vehicles.
I'd say Osco driving up the gravel trail to his house is more offroad than 90% of the folks on this forum will ever do. And that's OK. I didn't buy mine to be a badlands trail hugging monster. Though it has proven to take on some pretty challenging courses via youtube confirmation. It is what it is...to many pretend this is an essential, it's not. As you stated, the no-brainer system (perfect) is more than capable and removed a lot of human error. I hated the locking hubs and shifting in the old school bronco, dead of winter what a PITA. And my new bronco...handles the snow and ice equally well at 27mpg vs my 79 pulling down an astounding 4 gallons per mile.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
These were the videos I watched prior to purchasing a Badlands. Maybe less technical than this thread, but they helped sell me the upgraded drive train regardless of marketing and badging.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good points.

When I first started researching the BS BL one of my first thoughts was whether the various G.O.A.T. modes made any real difference, or if they were just for marketing purposes.

It turns out they can make a difference -- although most of the time it's not critical. In 'Normal' mode the system will fairly quickly figure out what works best, but pre-selecting the appropriate mode eliminates those few seconds of wheel spin.

Most of the time it probably doesn't matter, but there are a couple YouTube videos that demonstrate situations where it makes a go/no go difference.