Adding Tow Hitch

Pete_72

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Is there any advantage of running the ford wiring over a curt tail light converter?
I seriously doubt it. When I worked the parts counter at a Ford dealership we often found parts like this were the exact same as aftermarket brands. Manufacturers usually have these outsourced.
Sponsored

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Is there any advantage of running the ford wiring over a curt tail light converter?
Each will have caveats.
  • Ford wiring will mean less chance of something interfering (read warranty service).
  • Ford wiring MAY be telling the Bronco to engage a 'Towing' program. That may improve drivability and safety and may destroy fuel economy. I have reached out to my Ford tech contact to find out details.
  • Curt products are really well done. That doesn't mean that it won't have issues.
  • Curt wiring may still invoke 'tow mode'
  • Tekonsha ZCI Zero Contact Interface might solve the issue with 'tow mode'. and have other issues.
Tow Mode (if it really is a thing) is probably fantastic if you are towing a Lightweight Camping RV trailer; buty if you have a rear cargo platform or bike rack with tail lights it won't be so wonderful.

Glad that I could help!!

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
So, has anyone actually had Ford install one for them yet? I have been waiting 5 weeks, and just heard another "3-4 weeks" but that seems to be their standard answer for "not sure". @Sargent28 I think you had been waiting months...did you ever get yours?

Sucks as I negotiated that add-on into the sale but not wanting to wait indefinitely. And I am not trying to tackle that myself! ; )

ZXBRONCO

Outer Banks
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
274dfgh
So, has anyone actually had Ford install one for them yet? I have been waiting 5 weeks, and just heard another "3-4 weeks" but that seems to be their standard answer for "not sure". @Sargent28 I think you had been waiting months...did you ever get yours?

Sucks as I negotiated that add-on into the sale but not wanting to wait indefinitely. And I am not trying to tackle that myself! ; )
I too, am waiting on the dealership to get their hands on one to install on my BS OB but keep getting the same answer. It is unfortunate as I negotiated that into my deal as well... lol

Does anyone know if the ford hitch kits require modification to the current bumper during install or if they just replaced entire thing?

Sargent28

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang

Nope still holding my breath.

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Nope still holding my breath.
Dang. I was afraid of that.

I may look into someone else doing install and see if I can get Ford dealership to offer something else "in kind" since they won't be doing Tow add.

First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got the hitch installed on the BB last weekend. It was just doable by myself. Some help would have been nice. Now I just need to figure out how to get to the tail light wiring to hook up the pigtail for the trailer. I opened the rear hatch and looked for a way to remove an inside panel to get to the wiring but had no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to hook up a powered unit. I figured I would simply use the 12V outlet in the back as the power supply. I just need to get to the tail/stop/turn light wires so I can connect my pigtail / 4 way flat wires to.

Wabarca2

Badlands
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I got the hitch installed on the BB last weekend. It was just doable by myself. Some help would have been nice. Now I just need to figure out how to get to the tail light wiring to hook up the pigtail for the trailer. I opened the rear hatch and looked for a way to remove an inside panel to get to the wiring but had no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to hook up a powered unit. I figured I would simply use the 12V outlet in the back as the power supply. I just need to get to the tail/stop/turn light wires so I can connect my pigtail / 4 way flat wires to.
Have you looked at the u haul video they have a install of the wiring and they show how to get the the taillight wiring

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I just got a quote from the dealership to install a hitch and wiring harness and it’s over $800! They have never installed one yet so they based their estimated time for labor off an Escape, they said 6.5 hours because of the wiring harness.
Yeah I ordered the oem wire harness from ford and it's a lot of wires to run from the back to the front. I will be purchasing the curt taillight converter wireharness

Pete_72

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yeah I ordered the oem wire harness from ford and it's a lot of wires to run from the back to the front. I will be purchasing the curt taillight converter wireharness
I bought the Ford harness too, it’s one wire from the battery to the rear, all of the others wires splice in behind the rear interior panels. It took me 15 minutes to run that hot wire from the battery to the rear. There are only 5 other connections to make in the rear. The hardest part is removing the panels in the rear. With proper tools this is a 2-3 hour job for an experienced tech, no reason for them to want to charge 6-7 hours.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I bought the Ford harness too, it’s one wire from the battery to the rear, all of the others wires splice in behind the rear interior panels. It took me 15 minutes to run that hot wire from the battery to the rear. There are only 5 other connections to make in the rear. The hardest part is removing the panels in the rear. With proper tools this is a 2-3 hour job for an experienced tech, no reason for them to want to charge 6-7 hours.
Wow; thank you. You've changed my mind; I will check the link on the box for the Ford wire harness and really see how much wires I have to run. The one wire from the battery to the rear; is there precut holes/channels for the wire?

Pete_72

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
The hardest part about running the power wire from the battery was when I went through the grommet in the door jam, I had to reach up pretty high on the inside and feel for it in a hole just big enough to get two fingers in.....I have large hands.

Pete_72

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’m in no way saying this install was for a novice that has never installed some type of electrical in a vehicle but the difference in installing the curt harness and Ford harness are minimal if any. Ford has these harnesses made by another company and just stamps their name on it. I would go as far as to say that it’s very possible that they are made by curt.
Sponsored