Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm pretty sure all Bronco Sport trim levels have a transmission cooler. Newer vehicles integrate the transmission cooler with the primary heat exchanger (radiator). There are typically a pair of hydraulic lines running from the transmission to the heat exchanger. The trans fluid runs through these lines and is routed through the heat exchanger for cooling. I can see the lines connected to the left side near the bottom of the heat exchanger on my Badlands.
This is not new. Every car I've owned that had an automatic transmission routed the transmission lines to the radiator to cool the fluid. If I towed with that vehicle, I added a trans cooler and connected it in series with the return line to increase the trans cooling efficiency.

My check reveled this on my BS Outer Banks trim, but there was not a separate/external trans cooler, such as what the Bandlands model states in the tech sheet in post #60 describes.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My check reveled this on my BS Outer Banks trim, but there was not a separate/external trans cooler, such as what the Bandlands model states in the tech sheet in post #60 describes.
I can't see it on mine from the top. I'll have to look for it the next time I have the bash plate off.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
There's a lot of misinformation here.
You have a 1,500 pound tow limit unless you have the tow package installed at the factory. It has nothing to do with the hitch or sway control.
The factory tow package has a limit of 2,000 pounds. Without it, just adding any hitch gives you a limit of 1,500 pounds, even if it's a Ford hitch put on by the dealer. The factory tow package includes a larger transmission cooler to keep your transmission from overheating when pulling the full 2,000 pounds. It's not listed but it's there. That is not something that's easily changed by the dealer. It took me a couple of months of searching, talking to reps, and finally comparing the part numbers by VINs given to me by a rep to confirm it's a different and larger transmission cooler installed at build to allow it to pull 2,000 pounds.
I tow 2,000 pounds (for two years now) and have added a gauge for engine and transmission temperature. I can tell from the gauges, even with the factory tow package, 2,000 pounds is pushing the transmission temperature in the hills.
Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? transmission coolers

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? Tow Specs

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Can you take a photo of this installed on your BS? I would buy this cooler and install it on my 1.5 Outer banks model. Why, to increase the life potential of my BS transmission, and not to increase towing limits. I'd need to see what additional parts are required, such as hoses, etc.

I'd be indebted to you, and would figure out a way to get a beverage or two of your choice to you!

I installed an oil cooler on my son's Mustang V6 that was a factory part on all V8 5.0 Mustangs. Installed easily on the V6's too, but was not an option for them. It routed hoses to the radiator to use it's water to cool the oil. Clever way to cool oil; why it was not an option for the smaller engine, I do not know. Maybe the engineers felt the 3.7 liter V6 did not require one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RodNSA

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
There's a lot of misinformation here.
You have a 1,500 pound tow limit unless you have the tow package installed at the factory. It has nothing to do with the hitch or sway control.
The factory tow package has a limit of 2,000 pounds. Without it, just adding any hitch gives you a limit of 1,500 pounds, even if it's a Ford hitch put on by the dealer. The factory tow package includes a larger transmission cooler to keep your transmission from overheating when pulling the full 2,000 pounds. It's not listed but it's there. That is not something that's easily changed by the dealer. It took me a couple of months of searching, talking to reps, and finally comparing the part numbers by VINs given to me by a rep to confirm it's a different and larger transmission cooler installed at build to allow it to pull 2,000 pounds.
I tow 2,000 pounds (for two years now) and have added a gauge for engine and transmission temperature. I can tell from the gauges, even with the factory tow package, 2,000 pounds is pushing the transmission temperature in the hills.
Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? transmission coolers

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity for Base model without factory install towing package? Tow Specs
I totally understand/agree and that was my conclusion based on everything I read ... however, as I'm now about to have the Ford class 2 package installed by the Ford dealership using Ford parts ... where I purchased it and who "says" they do this all the time ... he says AFTER they finish with it that it will be good for up to 2000 lbs towing capacity instead of 1500 listed for the base model. I asked for more information and he says he will be forwarding the email from Ford. We shall see.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I went through that with two dealers before I purchased mine. Took getting the reps involved. They are clueless and want to sell you a car. Unless they're putting in the larger transmission cooler you'll still be at 1,500 no matter what they tell you. Get it in writing that you can safely tow 2,000 and when your transmission burns up they'll replace it for free.

Last edited:

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
The
[...] The factory tow package includes a larger transmission cooler to keep your transmission from overheating when pulling the full 2,000 pounds. It's not listed but it's there. [...]
I've never seen that before. I've never seen a car company conceal a benefit of a tow package before. This one of the strangest things.

To the extent that any misinformation exists here, regarding transmission coolers, that is entirely due to Ford and not due to people's lack of comprehension of Ford's stated features and options.

I just did a quick search and found this for additional reading:
Seems like an ill-defined feature with lots of speculation about what is and isn't equipped on any given BS with or without Tow Package.

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I went through that with two dealers before I purchased mine. Took getting the reps involved. They are clueless and want to sell you a car. Get it in writing that when your transmission burns up they'll replace it for free.
You have this cooler on your BS correct? Can I get a picture of it installed?

OP
OP
RodNSA

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
I went through that with two dealers before I purchased mine. Took getting the reps involved. They are clueless and want to sell you a car. Get it in writing that when your transmission burns up they'll replace it for free.
... working with 2 Ford dealerships now ... the one near my house that I take it to for service and has done a couple of OEM upgrades for me already ... AND yesterday I contacted service manager of the largest Ford dealership in San Antonio where I purchased it (they had more to choose from when I purchased it but it's almost an hour from my house) ... and service manager also said IF they used all Ford parts and they did the Class 2 tow package install that Ford would warranty it for a towing capacity of up to 2000 pounds. I definitely questioned him because what I had read lead me to believe 1500 and he emphatically said NO that that would only apply for an aftermarket "hitch only" install that was non-Ford and done by a non-Ford certified garage. He said they started this process in '21 and have had zero issues. I asked for proof ... he said he'd forward the original email. That took place late Friday afternoon ... like I said, we ... shall ... see.
I went through that with two dealers before I purchased mine. Took getting the reps involved. They are clueless and want to sell you a car. Unless they're putting in the larger transmission cooler you'll still be at 1,500 no matter what they tell you. Get it in writing that you can safely tow 2,000 and when your transmission burns up they'll replace it for free.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Next time it's up in a lift and the covers are off if I'm there. You have the part numbers above. Have your parts guy look them up using your VIN and a VIN with the tow package from the factory.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
... working with 2 Ford dealerships now ... the one near my house that I take it to for service and has done a couple of OEM upgrades for me already ... AND yesterday I contacted service manager of the largest Ford dealership in San Antonio where I purchased it (they had more to choose from when I purchased it but it's almost an hour from my house) ... and service manager also said IF they used all Ford parts and they did the Class 2 tow package install that Ford would warranty it for a towing capacity of up to 2000 pounds. I definitely questioned him because what I had read lead me to believe 1500 and he emphatically said NO that that would only apply for an aftermarket "hitch only" install that was non-Ford and done by a non-Ford certified garage. He said they started this process in '21 and have had zero issues. I asked for proof ... he said he'd forward the original email. That took place late Friday afternoon ... like I said, we ... shall ... see.
Again it has nothing to do with the hitch. Wouldn't be the first time Ford was sued for over rating towing capabilities.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Next time it's up in a lift and the covers are off if I'm there. You have the part numbers above. Have your parts guy look them up using your VIN and a VIN with the tow package from the factory.
I can do that, but what I'm looking for is where it installs physically, and where the hose connections route to/from.

Maybe someone here as an installation manual for the bronco sport that shows this (AIM - Installation manual)?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
This is not new. Every car I've owned that had an automatic transmission routed the transmission lines to the radiator to cool the fluid. If I towed with that vehicle, I added a trans cooler and connected it in series with the return line to increase the trans cooling efficiency.

That's a smart addition.

One thing to keep in mind is that with some ATF coolers it is possible to have too much cooling -- esp in colder months and when not towing.

Ford doesn't always do the best job of promoting/advertising features.

In some cases their literature implies certain features exist when they do not. Sometimes the opposite is true.

With the Badlands, there are several differences -- many known to members of this forum, but not common knowledge. They range from trivial to important.

What is known by almost anyone who is familiar with the BS line is the 2.0L engine and the more advanced AWD. Here's a partial list of other differences that many non-forum members may not be aware of:

* Manufacturing location: Ohio and Spain (vs Mexico).
* Full size spare.
* ATF cooler and manual shift feature.
* Different wheels and tires.
* Front & rear suspension is different.
* Hydraulic rebound stops.
* Steering assist is variable (dep. on drive mode).
* Approach, departure, and breakover angles all greater.
* Cargo volume is less (not sure why, other interior dimensions are identical).
* Various cargo dimensions differ.
* AC power: 110V/400w (vs 150W) center console and rear cargo area.
* Off Road Tech: 'Trail Control'; front camera; 6.5 LCD cluster
* Storage under rear seat.
* "Heavy duty" roof rails with tie-down holes (I'm curious about the difference).
* Curb weight almost 260 lbs. heavier, cargo capacity 160 lbs. less.
* Towing capacity 2,200 lbs.
* Water fording 23.6" (vs. 17.7).
* Recovery hooks on front.

All of the above (ex. recovery hooks) is from:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/bronco-sport/2022-Bronco-Sport-Tech-Specs.pdf

I found that a while back when searching for something. I'd never seen it before. That's the kind of info you'd think Ford would advertise. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
That's a smart addition.

One thing to keep in mind is that with some ATF coolers it is possible to have too much cooling -- esp in colder months and when not towing.

Ford doesn't always do the best job of promoting/advertising features.

In some cases their literature implies certain features exist when they do not. Sometimes the opposite is true.

With the Badlands, there are several differences -- many known to members of this forum, but not common knowledge. They range from trivial to important.

What is known by almost anyone who is familiar with the BS line is the 2.0L engine and the more advanced AWD. Here's a partial list of other differences that many non-forum members may not be aware of:

* Manufacturing location: Ohio and Spain (vs Mexico).
* Full size spare.
* ATF cooler and manual shift feature.
* Different wheels and tires.
* Front & rear suspension is different.
* Hydraulic rebound stops.
* Steering assist is variable (dep. on drive mode).
* Approach, departure, and breakover angles all greater.
* Cargo volume is less (not sure why, other interior dimensions are identical).
* Various cargo dimensions differ.
* AC power: 110V/400w (vs 150W) center console and rear cargo area.
* Off Road Tech: 'Trail Control'; front camera; 6.5 LCD cluster
* Storage under rear seat.
* "Heavy duty" roof rails with tie-down holes (I'm curious about the difference).
* Curb weight almost 260 lbs. heavier, cargo capacity 160 lbs. less.
* Towing capacity 2,200 lbs.
* Water fording 23.6" (vs. 17.7).
* Recovery hooks on front.

All of the above (ex. recovery hooks) is from:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/bronco-sport/2022-Bronco-Sport-Tech-Specs.pdf

I found that a while back when searching for something. I'd never seen it before. That's the kind of info you'd think Ford would advertise. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to contact admin(s) of this site to recommend opening a section on "stickies"; threads that contain data such as this that stay at the top of a given forum. I'll volunteer to do it if its needed, as I used to maintain this on several other sites I was on. Makes it easier to find and point to when someone down the line needs it, and does not want to search through threads to locate it.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to contact admin(s) of this site to recommend opening a section on "stickies"; threads that contain data such as this that stay at the top of a given forum. I'll volunteer to do it if its needed, as I used to maintain this on several other sites I was on. Makes it easier to find and point to when someone down the line needs it, and does not want to search through threads to locate it.
I probably missed a few.

To be honest, I was not aware of most of them when we bought our BS BL.

Because we're older (60s) and this is our first new car since I bought my WRX 22 years ago, we've never had any of the more recent features beyond ABS. So the standard equipment on any of the BS models is WAY more than we're used to.

The reason I mention that is by way of explaining that we were/are both focused more on mechanical rather than electronic features. So for *us*, the BL was an easy choice. It wasn't much more than the OB, and has the upgraded drivetrain. At the time, we were aware of the 2.0L engine; the manual shifting; and the more advanced AWD -- but not much of the rest (maybe the front camera).

Of course the base BL does not have all of the advanced features of the OB. I can totally understand why many people go that way. In fact, in reality, we may never need the additional AWD features. We live on what passes for a mountain, and we can get a lot of snow, but we can usually wait until the roads are cleared to go out.

In any case, if I have a point it's that Ford might want to consider publishing a comprehensive side-by-side comparison of all 4 BS models. As a buyer, it's nice to have all of the info in one place for reference. Whether or not they do that, it's a good idea to have reference materials as a sticky.
Sponsored