Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Costco 87. Made the top tier list. No issues.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I've been running Costco (Top Tier) 93 and Full Synthetic 5w/30 on the Ecoboost platform now for 7 years, and I'm convinced its the secret sauce. :giggle:

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey Steve, why donā€™t we try filling up with 91 and add octane booster?
Maybe on my next road trip in 2 weeks down to Oxnard.
Well I'm not heading to the drag strip so I'll pass on the octane booster.

Use to run Av gas or racing fuel in my sand rail, but those days are over.

I honestly see no reason to run 91 in the sport. I use Costco 87 and it's a top tier gas so I'm good with that.

Does 91 octane provide a real benefit over top tier 87, better MPG, I really don't know.

Here's a video to digest. I had a 2020 Audi Q3 and used 87 octane with no issues.

Feel free to use whatever anyone prefers. It's your vehicle.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the BS manual. Yes, 87 is fine but for optimum performance ...

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately, the cars today can manage the fuel and air mix based on many conditions including some that also vary the timing. As they say for maximum performance, a higher octane fuel can be used. But, for most normal usages, 87 is just fine. Back in the day when we had carbs, fixed timing, fixed cams and high compression motors, you had to run high octane to keep from pre ignition (knock) or get out and adjust the timing if you couldnā€™t get high octane.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately, the cars today can manage the fuel and air mix based on many conditions including some that also vary the timing. As they say for maximum performance, a higher octane fuel can be used. But, for most normal usages, 87 is just fine. Back in the day when we had carbs, fixed timing, fixed cams and high compression motors, you had to run high octane to keep from pre ignition (knock) or get out and adjust the timing if you couldnā€™t get high octane.
I prefer Premium and 100% synthetic oil in a turbo engine. Actually 100% synthetic oil and any engine.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer Premium and 100% synthetic oil in a turbo engine. Actually 100% synthetic oil and any engine.
Agreed, youā€™ll definitely be getting better performance and probably better gas mileage than me but it comes at a cost with gas at least in the Midwest. As far as oil, pretty much everything is full synthetic today or at least at the same cost. The days of .50 cent quarts of oil is gone.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Youā€™ll definitely be getting better performance and better gas mileage than me but it comes at a cost with gas at least in the Midwest. As far as oil, pretty much everything is full synthetic today or at least at the same cost. The days of .50 cent quarts of oil is gone.
Here 87 to 93 is 50-60 cents more. When I was in NJ it was 90 cents to a dollar. Gas is 50+ cents cheaper per gallon here too. I didn't know if the BS came with full synthetic but I changed the oil to synthetic if it wasn't after my 1400 trip at 1800 miles.
Sponsored