Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
What method are you all using for rotation? I have been having my tires rotated every 5k miles with oil changes at my local Ford dealer. Well my wife's BS got a flat late last week, neighbor patched it, and she wants it replaced with a new tire. No big deal, but I just had the tires rotated yesterday while having her oil changed and I called Ford on my way to @Discount Tire to verify that the back right tire had been rotated to the front left as I assumed it would. Well it turns out my dealer only uses a front to back/back to front rotation, unless specifically requested for another pattern. WTF.

If you are having your tires rotated at your Ford dealer have you ever asked them what rotation pattern they use? I really need to start doing some of these things myself with the prices they want for The Works package with a full synthetic blend.
Sponsored

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I normally would do the same method as Dude. I'm currently running Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires on my Big Bend. Since these tires are directional, I'm limited to using the front to rear/rear to front (same side) method (unless I wanted to pay for dismounting/remounting/balancing). Cheers!

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What method are you all using for rotation? I have been having my tires rotated every 5k miles with oil changes at my local Ford dealer. Well my wife's BS got a flat late last week, neighbor patched it, and she wants it replaced with a new tire. No big deal, but I just had the tires rotated yesterday while having her oil changed and I called Ford on my way to @Discount Tire to verify that the back right tire had been rotated to the front left as I assumed it would. Well it turns out my dealer only uses a front to back/back to front rotation, unless specifically requested for another pattern. WTF.

If you are having your tires rotated at your Ford dealer have you ever asked them what rotation pattern they use? I really need to start doing some of these things myself with the prices they want for The Works package with a full synthetic blend.
Worked as a lube tech for Toyota and they do the same thing, was specifically told unless customer requests otherwise only do front to back back to front same side. Even saw some lube techs not even remove the tires, but still mark it as rotated, if they were super busy and the tires all measured the same tread all the way across, to save time.

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I had mine done last week and had to sign for a 5 tire rotation. They advise 4 tire only. I was married to a mechanic for close to 30 years. He always insisted on a 5 tire. I figure since I have the Falken AT3W spare as well, that I may as well get full use out of the matched spare.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands

I supposed it depends on your dealer and their mechanics. Previously, they rotated diagonally, currently they only do front to back. I noted the change in rotation pattern on my last oil change and tire rotation with my Escape. I had it serviced just a few months before receiving my BS BL.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The basic front-rear swap isn't the "recommended" tire rotation pattern, but it's better than NO rotation. The BEST way to rotate tires is to take measurements and rotate based on that. Each car is unique; you may find that none of the recommended patterns result in even tire wear--which is the goal of the exercise. If the straight front-rear swap pattern results in even wear than why not use it? It's certainly a lot easier for the home mechanic.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had The Works done in December on my 2021 BL.

I marked the tires to see how they did the rotation since I suspected that the correct procedure wasn't followed previously.

Front to back and back to front, no crossing of the tires.

Since the manual says to cross the rear tires, I don't understand why that can't be followed.

The vehicle is on a lift, remove all 4 tires and move to the location recommended in the manual, done.

I guess on the next service I will address this with my service rep.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
No rotate and no tire air pressure set on last 2 The Works.
Talked to the Service Department Manager, no resolution and no satisfactory response.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
After the constant upselling attempts, lack of actually doing the work, and insane prices I’m going to just find another place to have my maintenance done. My wife’s BS has 4400 miles and they were telling me it’s recommended to have some additional engine flush and fluid replacement done. I was like wtf the cars brand new. Just change the oil and rotate the tires like I asked. Then I took mine in the following day and they wanted to do rear diff, coolant, transmission, and some other fluids as well yet they can’t even rotate the tires as the manual recommends.

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I asked Ford to rotate my tires when they were fixing one of my tires a few months ago and they just switched fronts for backs, no crisscrossing.

Then, just the other day, I decided to rotate the tires myself and I did x-pattern. I guess between Ford's rotation and my own I'm pretty close to the recommended pattern.

So I'm at about 13k miles and I've rotated the tires twice -- The irony is, I don't like the stupid Pirelli Scorpions and will probably replace them before 20k, so I should probably stop wasting my time keeping them nice.

Added weird note about tire-rotations in general: I've had a 2WD Dodge Ram for over 10 years, 170k miles, and I think I've only ever rotated the tires... a couple times... and there hasn't been any issues with tires wearing out unevenly. Who knows about anything...

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I do my own synthetic oil changes and take my vehicles to Discount tire for free rotations, they do it correctly and will rotate free even if you didn't buy the tires there. I only use the dealer for recalls and that's because there's no choice.

mikeyncc

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I believe the first tire rotation can be back to front and front to back. Subsequent rotations should be diagonal. Assuming good alignment and tire pressures being maintained.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I haven't rotated tires in 30 years. With the price of tires, it was always a budget buster to replace 4 tires. When the fronts wear out, I put new ones on the front. When the back tires wear out, I again put the new ones on the front. That way I always have my newest tires on the front.

In my lifetime, I've had two front wheel blowouts at 70 mph. In both cases, it pulled me out of my lane, and off the road. Good front tires are important, and holding the steering wheel with both hands is too.
Sponsored