Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

TheDude

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2019 Mustang GT
I have one on mine. Have one on the Mustang too. The Bronco collects way more, but expected being a turbo. Even if not really needed I know it collects oil so I'm happy with it.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Seems same theory as on the Sprinter Forum , but no one to date has shown an engine with scientific laboratory results with & with out a Catch can & in the Sprinter Forum they are talking about Turbo Diesel engines & not Gas.. Same moments almost to a "T" .

Its your engine do what ever makes you feel better .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I did this, JLT 3.0... Actually, Ford already has an oil separator on the 1.5L. In the second pic, coming off the left side of the JLT can, follow that hose to where it connects (2 green tabs), that container is Ford's oil separator. So we're getting double protection right, ;).

Ford's oil separator dumping it back into the oil pan, maybe, I don't know? My JLT can is about half full at about 1500 miles. I have to remember to empty it...
Dumping it back in the oil pan is sound science. Crank case venting allows the water to harmlessly burn off.
I do not see the need for redundancy with this system.
I have ran several engines up near and past 500,000 miles without this addition and never had an engine related problem.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ford's oil separator dumping it back into the oil pan, maybe, I don't know?
Part of a motor oil's job is holding contaminants in suspension. The recommended service interval ensures you change the oil before there are enough contaminants to harm the engine.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Ha , never had one in the first place and don’t feel like fighting with the catch can to possibly being covered by said engine cover. I’m not putting one on.
Hey, I'm just kidding you, the engine cover won't interfere with the catch can because it sits just outside of it. I also have the JLT but I want to replace the phillips screws for the cap to a allen screw.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Dumping it back in the oil pan is sound science. Crank case venting allows the water to harmlessly burn off.
I do not see the need for redundancy with this system.
I have ran several engines up near and past 500,000 miles without this addition and never had an engine related problem.
I honestly didn't know the BS had an oil separator, until it came up in a recall notice. This was after I installed the JLT. It was my assumption that the separator drained back into the pan which makes sense. I'll continue to run with the JLT, I don't think it'll hurt anything, as long as I remember to dump it.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Where is the factory oil separator on the 1.5L?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
This is kind of technical in some spots and he glosses over some of the basic functioning of an internal combustion engine. If you don’t understand that, then this might be over your head. I believe it is worth watching to understand why Direct Injection engines will have issues with dirty/cruddy intake valves over time. A catch can is one of the things discussed as a preventative measure but also the NOACK engine oil test. These are both things I am aware of having spent a decade with DI engines.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
This is kind of technical in some spots and he glosses over some of the basic functioning of an internal combustion engine. If you don’t understand that, then this might be over your head. I believe it is worth watching to understand why Direct Injection engines will have issues with dirty/cruddy intake valves over time. A catch can is one of the things discussed as a preventative measure but also the NOACK engine oil test. These are both things I am aware of having spent a decade with DI engines.

good info
oil volatility
bronco/video/bookmarked
Sponsored