Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Thanks. I am using a windows 10 PC but I am still having the issue. Anyone else have a suggestion?
check the formatting of the USB drive. Ford states on their site that it has to be exFAT not FAT32 or NTFS.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Mine updated while on home wifi,
Overnight, a while back.
I'm good.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Fusion Hybrid, '20 Escape Hybrid
When I try to install the 20282 update via USB, the screen scrolls for about a minute and then tells me it already has the latest version 20136 (which is incorrect).
Other question. This sounds to me like you're plugging in the USB, then going to the OTA update screen and checking for an update. If so, that isn't needed. If you've got everything on the drive properly, you'll get a drop down saying it's updating at the top of the screen almost immediately after plugging it in.

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I did first format the USB drive as EXFAT. I'm attaching a photo as requested. I also tried a 2nd USB drive - same thing. It's not really an "error message". It's just a message saying the SYNC software is up to date, and it is Build number 20136 (in the other attached photo). This is incorrect since there is a new Build update 20282. Can anyone tell me - when the vehicle is running, and in Park, and the USB drive is inserted, what am I supposed to see? All I see on the display is that the USB drive is recognized, and a second quick message about some sort of checking file index --- then nothing. For those of you that did the update via USB, should the screen say anything about the update in progress, etc because nothing happens on mine (unless the update is happening but it doesn't tell you)? Thanks.

Ford Bronco Sport New SYNC3 Version software update for Bronco Sport 20210210_105855[1]

Ford Bronco Sport New SYNC3 Version software update for Bronco Sport 20210210_105833[1]

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Fusion Hybrid, '20 Escape Hybrid
Can anyone tell me - when the vehicle is running, and in Park, and the USB drive is inserted, what am I supposed to see? All I see on the display is that the USB drive is recognized, and a second quick message about some sort of checking file index --- then nothing.
This is your problem. The files aren't on the drive as expected. You need the autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA files, along with SyncMyRide folder at the main/root level. It's indexing because when you plug it in, it's not seeing that .MSA at the main level. That's also why it isn't kicking off the auoinstall script.

The other screens are only pertinent to OTA update (scanning). 3.4.20282 isn't available OTA, so it's going to tell you it's "up-to-date" as 3.4.20136 is the most recent OTA available release.

Cybercoder

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2011 Escape
Any idea why the update doesn't take? If I run my vin on the website it says that I'm eligible for the new version, but when I run the auto update it says I'm up to date... With 20136...
My did same thing, but I went ahead and ran the USB update. Worked fine and can definitely see a difference in software response times.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
I did first format the USB drive as EXFAT. I'm attaching a photo as requested. I also tried a 2nd USB drive - same thing. It's not really an "error message". It's just a message saying the SYNC software is up to date, and it is Build number 20136 (in the other attached photo). This is incorrect since there is a new Build update 20282. Can anyone tell me - when the vehicle is running, and in Park, and the USB drive is inserted, what am I supposed to see? All I see on the display is that the USB drive is recognized, and a second quick message about some sort of checking file index --- then nothing. For those of you that did the update via USB, should the screen say anything about the update in progress, etc because nothing happens on mine (unless the update is happening but it doesn't tell you)? Thanks.

Ford Bronco Sport New SYNC3 Version software update for Bronco Sport 20210210_105855[1]

Ford Bronco Sport New SYNC3 Version software update for Bronco Sport 20210210_105833[1]
When I updated using USB, on your second picture at the top where it says About SYNC, it changes to a banner something like Updating SYNC blah blah blah. It took 15-20 minutes and everything worked while updating. When done, it flashed a screen to approve a restart.

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. It is finally solved. The issue turned out to be when I unzipped the 5U5T-14G381-EK zipped file onto my thumb drive, my unzipping software put the unzipped files on the thumb drive in a folder named 5U5T-14G381-EK, and there should not have been this root folder. The folder SyncMyRide and the files autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA all need to be in the root of the thumb drive, not in a subfolder as the unzipping program did. Hopefully this info may help out someone else. Thank you - update finally worked fine!

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
My did same thing, but I went ahead and ran the USB update. Worked fine and can definitely see a difference in software response times.
Evidently this specific update is USB only, so running the WiFi scan doesn't pick it up. It is DEFINITELY faster.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
I picked our OB up 3 days ago and the Sync was not updated. I tried doing the update in the driveway while connected to the home 5 ghz WIFI, which is a strong signal, but it did not update nor tell me that it failed. My 2019 F-150 also needed updating.

Soooo....

I downloaded the update (1.8 GB) and on my network, the download took 15 min or so. Unzipped it to a USB thumb drive. Ford recommends an 8 GB drive and you need to make sure it is formatted using the ExFAT format.

Unzip the files onto the thumb drive. Start the vehicle and plug the thumb drive in. Takes about 20 min. Sync says updating along the top edge. After the message was gone, I went into the Auto Update page on the Sync and looked at the Info page and saw the version is now is now 3.4 with build 20282.

The Ford site with the procedure has an upload point for the installation log file that is written to your thumb drive in the SyncMyRide folder. That file has your Sync's ESN number and your VIN in the file name.

Since both my vehicles are Sync3, the download is the same and I took the thumb drive and used it in the F-150, then just plugged it in the BS. Got two install log files and uploaded both Ford.

I add that last bit, as the Ford help page doesn't talk about using one download to update multiple vehicles. Hope this is useful to someone.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
After updating the Sync3 on our BS OB to 3.4 build 20282, the unlock sensor on the liftgate no longer works. The rear glass sensor still unlocks.

OP
OP
radioboy77

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
After updating the Sync3 on our BS OB to 3.4 build 20282, the unlock sensor on the liftgate no longer works. The rear glass sensor still unlocks.
Might want to take that to the shop... a SYNC update shouldn't affect any window/door sensors.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
Might want to take that to the shop... a SYNC update shouldn't affect any window/door sensors.
Had a follow-up call with the sales manager today. I mentioned this and he said he was going to talk to an engineer about some other owner's repair order (dunno what model vehicle) and said he mention this. I told him all my steps for the Synch3 upgrade. He mentioned bringing it in for the techs to reapply the upgrade.

Meeting him tomorrow (free wash day) and I'll see what's up.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
Watching this thread and build numbers. I have a BB base, my SYNC 3 version is 3.4 and my build is 20136_PRODUCT and vehicle says up to date.. But a 20282 is of course newer update than mine. My BB is connected to house WiFi. It may seem that the OB SYNC might have more capabilities?

OP
OP
radioboy77

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Watching this thread and build numbers. I have a BB base, my SYNC 3 version is 3.4 and my build is 20136_PRODUCT and vehicle says up to date.. But a 20282 is of course newer update than mine. My BB is connected to house WiFi. It may seem that the OB SYNC might have more capabilities?
That might be the case. I also have Ford Co-Pilot 360 which has some stuff inside SYNC’s menus.
Sponsored