realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Done and done, no issues. This is my 3rd go at this in the last 12 months - 2 for my previous 2019 Edge (incl. free map updates) and now my Outer Banks. All via USB.
Sponsored

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Non Nav 3.2GB update only took about 15 minutes via USB, no issues.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Maybe Nav, but definitely not SYNC4... that requires completely new hardware. We're all stuck on SYNC3 for the life of our vehicles.
And that is the failure of Ford to launch a new model and include SYNC 3. It never should have happened. I hate the idea of driving off the lot with outdated tech on a new model. Hopefully, MY22 will get the upgrade to SYNC 4.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
And that is the failure of Ford to launch a new model and include SYNC 3. It never should have happened. I hate the idea of driving off the lot with outdated tech on a new model. Hopefully, MY22 will get the upgrade to SYNC 4.
I’ve played with the SYNC 4 and it’s definitely an upgrade from the 3... but that’s absolutely wrong to call it “outdated”... might as well call it different price points for different vehicles. More expensive vehicle = flashier tech.

By comparison, GM has been using the same tech with a face lift since like 2011 and FCA’s UConnect is pretty much the same story since 2014.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
I’ve played with the SYNC 4 and it’s definitely an upgrade from the 3... but that’s absolutely wrong to call it “outdated”... might as well call it different price points for different vehicles. More expensive vehicle = flashier tech.

By comparison, GM has been using the same tech with a face lift since like 2011 and FCA’s UConnect is pretty much the same story since 2014.
Citing what other manufacturers use from 7 years ago (even 10 years ago) isn't supporting your point. The price point isn't either. A Base or Big Bend Bronco will be cheaper than a Badlands Sport and will come with SYNC 4.

With the SYNC 3 locked into hardware, it won't age well especially for a new model. Overall, I like the Sport and will end up getting one eventually. I was seriously looking at the Sport last August, but the stale tech was one of the cons. I may pick up a Sport for a year before my Bronco is delivered. But for it to earn a permanent spot in the stable, the tech must be current.

teschmann

First Edition
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
What is the download site/URL to obtain the software update?

OP
OP
radioboy77

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The tech is current. Current doesn’t mean largest screen possible and 4 times the processing speed. Sync 3 does everything MOST people want and will age just fine. 95%+ of smart phone owners have a usb and will have them for years even though wireless charging/CarPlay/auto was introduced years ago. The thing that might become “outdated” is the traditional usb which is why they included the usb-c outlet.

People keep confusing the relationship of product and cost. Very common misconception: A vehicle at a certain price point should include certain features. This would be true if all other factors(options) were the same. For example, someone claimed “a more expensive vehicle = flashier tech.” Which is completely true. Your counter-claim that base and big bend 2/4 dr having sync 4 at a cheaper price doesn’t support this is overlooking the features that that the badlands sport has that is missing from the cheaper 2/4 dr which is the reason for the cheaper price.

People fail to realize that a 12” screen, garage door opener, and automatic lift gate are not the only forms of flashy tech. Other forms include advanced 4x4, advance suspension, and many more. Every feature that is included comes with a price included in the total price. A car manufacturer doesn’t build a vehicle and then once it reaches a certain price point, say ok now we will offer this latest tech as free because we’ve reached a certain price point. It doesn’t work that way.

Most bronco sport customers would rather a competitive price with a totally sufficient sync 3 than the totally “necessary” latest and greatest tech with a greater price.
I also would like to add that Sync3 has made impressive leaps forward from its early days. From the graphical redesign to new features, Ford has put a lot of effort into making Sync3 work and reach its full potential. It’s been around a while, and honestly I’d rather have the refined and reliable tech instead of the bleeding edge...because those of us with Ford vehicles that had early Sync3 know, there’s going to be a lot that doesn’t work. It’s reached a point now where it’s not only reliable, but they’re actively improving it again (with a dedicated team).

OP
OP
radioboy77

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
I also would like to add that Sync3 has made impressive leaps forward from its early days. From the graphical redesign to new features, Ford has put a lot of effort into making Sync3 work and reach its full potential. It’s been around a while, and honestly I’d rather have the refined and reliable tech instead of the bleeding edge...because those of us with Ford vehicles that had early Sync3 know, there’s going to be a lot that doesn’t work. It’s reached a point now where it’s not only reliable, but they’re actively improving it again (with a dedicated team).
I’m just happy to be stepping up from the original SYNC in my current vehicle! I’m sure many are in the same boat.

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When I try to install the 20282 update via USB, the screen scrolls for about a minute and then tells me it already has the latest version 20136 (which is incorrect). My Bronco Sport has Nav; the files on the USB drive are 1.8GB; all 6 packages are there in the SyncMyRide folder on the USB drive. I'm trying to install with the Bronco in my garage with a good WiFi signal (not sure if that's important or not). Any ideas why the update tells me it's already up to date at 20136?

OP
OP
radioboy77

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
In
When I try to install the 20282 update via USB, the screen scrolls for about a minute and then tells me it already has the latest version 20136 (which is incorrect). My Bronco Sport has Nav; the files on the USB drive are 1.8GB; all 6 packages are there in the SyncMyRide folder on the USB drive. I'm trying to install with the Bronco in my garage with a good WiFi signal (not sure if that's important or not). Any ideas why the update tells me it's already up to date at 20136?
I had the same issue and it was because I had created the USB using a Mac. I found a Windows PC, recopied the files, and it worked that time.

FredE

Outer Banks
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks. I am using a windows 10 PC but I am still having the issue. Anyone else have a suggestion?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Fusion Hybrid, '20 Escape Hybrid
Thanks. I am using a windows 10 PC but I am still having the issue. Anyone else have a suggestion?
Can you take a picture of the message it’s throwing?
Sponsored