Ironman482

Big Bend
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
I've heard good reviews about Mobil one full synthetic oil , thinking of going that route when I change the oil at 4500 miles. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil one.
Sponsored

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I let the cronies at the quick lane do the oil changes for issues that may come up with my premium care warranty. CYA. Always check the oil level when I get home.

They use Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil and recommend 6 month or 5K miles which I follow.

The little sticker on the windshield reminds me of the date/ miles when it's time.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
When I do the oil change myself at least I'll know which oil pan I have. Plus I bought the aluminum skid plate and if I take it to fast lane they will probably complain or outright refuse to do the oil change ,so I'll just do my own and document it very well for warranty verification, besides gotta justify that vehicle lift I bought 7 yrs ago
I save the old oil filters as proof that the oil was changed.

That said, from personal experience working on cars for almost 50 years, and reading the car magazines and now in the last 20+ years, the forums -- engine trouble is exceedingly rare (assuming proper maint. and no abuse). Most cars literally begin to fall apart while the engine is still running strong.

Still, engines are expensive, and it requires no effort to stick the old filters on a shelf.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I've heard good reviews about Mobil one full synthetic oil , thinking of going that route when I change the oil at 4500 miles. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil one.
Nope. :cool:

100% synthetic is cheap insurance. In fact, full synthetic can be less expensive than some conventional oil!

I used Mobil 1 for the first 2 oil changes -- annually, because we do not drive much. That cost about $6.40 per quart (in 5 qt. jugs).

Recently, I bought four 5 qt. jugs of Kirkland 100% synthetic from Costco. It was half the price of Mobil 1 -- $3.20 per qt. That's less than the Motorcraft synthetic blend. Most 'blends' are only about 20% synthetic.

Costco oil is made by Warren. They make a lot of store brand oil. It is good oil and meets all of Ford's requirements.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I’m with @sajohnson on this. My only quibble with Mobil 1 is cost. There are many excellent full-synthetic oils that cost far less than Mobil 1. Search on YouTube for a channel called “Project Farm.” He has published several oil comparison videos. Overall, there isn’t much difference between the major brands.

Blackstone Labs is an outfit that provides oil analysis services, including for fleet operators that would benefit from using the “best” oil. Blackstone has published a number of reports over the years in response to that very question: What is the best oil brand? The answer is there is no best oil brand. The lab compared oils of the same viscosity and specification and they all are pretty much the same based on a measurement of wear metals found in the oil (which is a measure of lubricity) at the end of service life. The lab does have specific recommendations regarding specific additives, none of which has anything to do with whether an oil can do its primary job of providing lubrication.

You can read more here: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/which-oil-to-use/

OP
OP

Ironman482

Big Bend
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
I’m with @sajohnson on this. My only quibble with Mobil 1 is cost. There are many excellent full-synthetic oils that cost far less than Mobil 1. Search on YouTube for a channel called “Project Farm.” He has published several oil comparison videos. Overall, there isn’t much difference between the major brands.

Blackstone Labs is an outfit that provides oil analysis services, including for fleet operators that would benefit from using the “best” oil. Blackstone has published a number of reports over the years in response to that very question: What is the best oil brand? The answer is there is no best oil brand. The lab compared oils of the same viscosity and specification and they all are pretty much the same based on a measurement of wear metals found in the oil (which is a measure of lubricity) at the end of service life. The lab does have specific recommendations regarding specific additives, none of which has anything to do with whether an oil can do its primary job of providing lubrication.

You can read more here: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/which-oil-to-use/
Thanks, good info

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Excellent oil. Came from factory in all Corvettes; good enough for them, good enough for a BS. As others state, might be higher than other good brand full synthetics. I watch my local auto parts store for sales. I wait for Pennzoil, Mobil One, or Castrol, all good full synthetics IMO.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Talking about oil is like pissing up a rope, most are all so good it's hard to go wrong. As long as the oil meets Ford specs you're good to go.

As far as oil consumption, it's possible the tech(s) under filled your Sport, filling to the earlier requirement instead of the later which would show as being low when checked. I assume you are monitoring the oil level more frequently now that it has been filled to the correct level to see if the Sport is actually using oil.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Talking about oil is like pissing up a rope, most are all so good it's hard to go wrong. As long as the oil meets Ford specs you're good to go.

As far as oil consumption, it's possible the tech(s) under filled your Sport, filling to the earlier requirement instead of the later which would show as being low when checked. I assume you are monitoring the oil level more frequently now that it has been filled to the correct level to see if the Sport is actually using oil.
Very True i agree.

Hondo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not sure if this is the right page for this , if not please move , so I bought my 23 BS in Nov 23 new at a dealership in texas that will remain unnamed for now , after 1200 miles I had fast lane do the 1st oil change ,even though they recommended 5k-6k miles , that was back in Jan and I didn't ck the oil after the oil change ( shame on me ) a couple of days ago while filling up with gas I cked the oil and was stunned nothing on the stick , at least not the part with the little holes in it , I rechecked it three times to make sure , the dealership was only a couple of miles away so I took it to them and explained the problem , so fastlane pulled it in and I could see the tech as there's a window fa ING the waiting area , 3 different techs are looking under the hood and then one pulls the hose with the oil fill nozzle over for about 10 seconds , then then main tech( I assume) sits in the driver's seat with a scan tool for at least 20 minutes, several other techs walk up to him and talk during this time , finally they raised it up and looked for leaks , none found , when the tech wrote up the order it said " added one half quart oil checked for leaks none found " , they didn't charge me anything, but I'm calling BS ,there's no way it was only 1/2 quart low , I noticed my mpg has been getting worse over the last 3 weeks , I think they under filled the engine when they did the oil change back in Jan, that was 2600 miles ago , I understand some of this is own me for not cking the oil sooner but on a new car I wasn't concerned with cking as often, is it possible that the tech was erasing data on the computer in that 20 minutes he was in the cab , and what are my options.
With the blow by in the 1.5L engine you may want to consider changing you oil/filter every 3-3.5 K
since the oil becomes diluted with fuel FYI you can smell on the dip stick after 1500 miles.

Reactions: ZQ8

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
With the blow by in the 1.5L engine you may want to consider changing you oil/filter every 3-3.5 K
since the oil becomes diluted with fuel FYI you can smell on the dip stick after 1500 miles.
Blow by? I have yet to hear of this being an issue in the 1.5. Do you have any proof or documentation we can read up on this?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Blow by? I have yet to hear of this being an issue in the 1.5. Do you have any proof or documentation we can read up on this?
Google shows info for the 1.5L ecoboost blowby issue… didn’t research to find out if the Bronco Sport is applicable or not

Ford Bronco Sport Low oil level after 3400 miles? IMG_4493

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Google shows info for the 1.5L ecoboost blowby issue… didn’t research to find out if the Bronco Sport is applicable or not

Ford Bronco Sport Low oil level after 3400 miles? IMG_4493
"Google" is not a source, it's a search engine. There are several different versions of the the 1.5L EcoBoost engine. Please share the specific sources you found.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
"Google" is not a source, it's a search engine. There are several different versions of the the 1.5L EcoBoost engine. Please share the specific sources you found.
Wasn’t my original post on the topic

Just pointing out people can find information in various ways including search engines like Google and in libraries.

A prior post stated “Blow by? I have yet to hear of this being an issue in the 1.5.” without being specific to which 1.5 version.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands