Mac

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands. It has 4000 miles on it and I did the first oil change with 5W30 Quaker State Full Synthetic and Motorcraft 910-S filter at 1700 miles.

I checked the oil before the change and noticed it was about .25" above the max fill hole. I put 5.25 quarts in instead of the recommended 5.5 to bring it to the max fill hole.

Over the last 2300 miles the oil level has risen to where it is about .375" above the max fill hole.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Sponsored

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Both the 1.5 and 2.0 use DI (direct injection) which is notorious for fuel dilution of the oil (DI in general not on the BS specifically) that will cause a level rise over time. That or like the previous post make sure its stinking hot so that any condensation etc is burned off

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands. It has 4000 miles on it and I did the first oil change with 5W30 Quaker State Full Synthetic and Motorcraft 910-S filter at 1700 miles.

I checked the oil before the change and noticed it was about .25" above the max fill hole. I put 5.25 quarts in instead of the recommended 5.5 to bring it to the max fill hole.

Over the last 2300 miles the oil level has risen to where it is about .375" above the max fill hole.

The proper way to check your oil level (according to Ford) is to warm the engine up to normal operating temperature. Park on a level surface. Stop the engine and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Pull the oil dipstick and wipe off with a clean rag or paper towel. Reinsert the dipstick into the engine. Pull the dipstick out to observe oil level.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Does the oil smell strongly of gasoline, milky from coolant? If not, Iā€™d double check youā€™re getting a consistent measurement. My 2017 CRV had a lot of fuel dilution, at a similar amount of change on the dipstick, the oil reeked of fuel.

OP
OP
Mac

Mac

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Does the oil smell strongly of gasoline, milky from coolant? If not, Iā€™d double check youā€™re getting a consistent measurement. My 2017 CRV had a lot of fuel dilution, at a similar amount of change on the dipstick, the oil reeked of fuel.
No

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is what the owners manual says.

Maintenance - Engine Oil Check
ENGINE OIL CHECK

Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground.
Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warm up and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
Note: Checking the oil level too soon could result in an inaccurate reading.
Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth.
Reinstall the dipstick and make sure it is fully seated.
Remove the dipstick again to check the oil level.
Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable.Do not add oil.
If the oil level is at the minimum mark, immediately add oil.
Reinstall the dipstick. Make sure it is fully seated.
Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3000 mi (5,000 km).
Note: Increases in oil level can occur from frequent short trips that do not allow the engine to get to operating temperature, as well as frequent idling or low speed driving for long periods of time.
Note: If oil levels are continuously noted above the maximum mark, schedule a visit to your authorized dealer.
Adding Engine Oil
WARNING: Do not add engine oil when the engine is hot. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
WARNING: Do not remove the filler cap when the engine is running.

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that the vehicle warranty may not cover.
Clean the area surrounding the engine oil filler cap before you remove it.
Remove the engine oil filler cap.
Add engine oil that meets our specifications. See Engine Oil Capacity and Specification - 1.5L EcoBoostā„¢.
Reinstall the engine oil filler cap.Turn it clockwise until you feel a strong resistance.
Note: Make sure you install the oil filler cap correctly.
Note: Do not add oil further than the maximum mark.Oil levels above the maximum mark may cause engine damage.
Note: Immediately soak up any oil spillage with an absorbent cloth.
2022 Bronco Sport Owner's Manual

Saboga

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1954 Chevy 3100, 2022 Ford Bronco Sport

This may not be your issue, but I had a similar experience with a Yanmar diesel engine. What was happening was that as the engine cooled, the trapped air in the dipstick tube contracted and sucked oil up higher in the tube. Every time I checked the oil with a cold engine, it showed it was over-filled. Wipe the stick off and check again, and it was back to normal.

If that's not what's happening, you are probably getting fuel in the oil.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
These are the most common reasons for oil level increasing:
  • Condensed water from combustion
  • A coolant leak, usually from a failing head gasket
  • Fuel dilution
You say you do not smell gasoline in the oil, so we can rule that out. If you have a coolant leak you'll see a change in the texture and color of the oil--it will look like chocolate milk. If that's not the case, then your engine is likely generating a lot of condensation when you shut it down, and you're not running the engine long enough to burn it all off.

Do you, by chance, take a lot of short trips? If so, condensate water is likely the reason for the increased oil level. You can confirm by taking the car out for a long drive (at least 30 minutes after achieving operating temperature). This is generally long enough to boil off any water from condensate in the oil. After that, let it sit for 10 minutes or so and recheck the oil level.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
The proper way to check your oil level (according to Ford) is to warm the engine up to normal operating temperature. Park on a level surface. Stop the engine and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Pull the oil dipstick and wipe off with a clean rag or paper towel. Reinsert the dipstick into the engine. Pull the dipstick out to observe oil level.
Wait. I'm pretty certain it said to check it when it was cold. I remember searching that out just in case a 3 cylinder turbo charged engine was different from what I was used to.

I need to dig out my owner's manual!

Edit: I stand corrected! I wonder what I read that said to check it when it was cold. Maybe the coolant? I have been letting it get hot, waiting a few minutes, then opening that to check the level. šŸ« 

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mac

Mac

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
This may not be your issue, but I had a similar experience with a Yanmar diesel engine. What was happening was that as the engine cooled, the trapped air in the dipstick tube contracted and sucked oil up higher in the tube. Every time I checked the oil with a cold engine, it showed it was over-filled. Wipe the stick off and check again, and it was back to normal.

If that's not what's happening, you are probably getting fuel in the oil.
I have always checked it after it has set all night. I always wipe the dipstick and reinsert. It is as level as the concrete floor in my garage. I rotate the dipstick 180 degrees and recheck (it makes a difference on my Challenger). All checks have been done using the exact same procedure, so the engine being hot, warm, or cold, is inconsequential. The fact of the matter is the level of the oil on the dipstick is increasing. I have the coolant level filled to the "Max line" to monitor for coolant loss, which is not happening. I believe it is the DI Demon of fuel dilution.

OP
OP
Mac

Mac

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
These are the most common reasons for oil level increasing:
  • Condensed water from combustion
  • A coolant leak, usually from a failing head gasket
  • Fuel dilution
You say you do not smell gasoline in the oil, so we can rule that out. If you have a coolant leak you'll see a change in the texture and color of the oil--it will look like chocolate milk. If that's not the case, then your engine is likely generating a lot of condensation when you shut it down, and you're not running the engine long enough to burn it all off.

Do you, by chance, take a lot of short trips? If so, condensate water is likely the reason for the increased oil level. You can confirm by taking the car out for a long drive (at least 30 minutes after achieving operating temperature). This is generally long enough to boil off any water from condensate in the oil. After that, let it sit for 10 minutes or so and recheck the oil level.
I've seen the chocolate milkshake look of water in oil and there is none of that. Oil is clean & bright. I filled the coolant reservoir to the max line to monitor for coolant loss, and that is not happening. My wife drives it 14 miles (20 minutes) each way to work 5 days a week. We will drive it 30-40 mile trips a couple times a month, but I have never checked oil 15 minutes after one of those trips. I always check it after it has sat overnight and the level keeps climbing up the dipstick.