Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes, most 4WD systems are intolerant of different sized wheels. My comment was as regards the Bronco Sport. The Owner's Manual for the Bronco Sport has an entire section on using a different sized spare wheel, so I believe its drive system is designed to be tolerant of this scenario. Which is a good thing, because Ford has installed different sized "full-size" spare tires in all the Badlands that came with the optional 235 width tires. Granted, there's not a lot of difference in diameter between a 225/65R17 and a 235/65R17, but they are different diameter.
I have read here (but not looked specifically myself) that the Owner's Manual does say something about replacing the different sized wheel/tire as soon as possible. I don't think that running with a different diameter wheel/tire for an extended period is not recommended. Again, I haven't looked myself at the Owner's Manual and I don't have it handy right now. I guess I could use the app to look it up but I feel like I miss too many things when I go to the app for this sort of thing.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have read here (but not looked specifically myself) that the Owner's Manual does say something about replacing the different sized wheel/tire as soon as possible. I don't think that running with a different diameter wheel/tire for an extended period is not recommended. Again, I haven't looked myself at the Owner's Manual and I don't have it handy right now. I guess I could use the app to look it up but I feel like I miss too many things when I go to the app for this sort of thing.
Yes, it's meant to be temporary. Here's what the manual says.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=8547&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2087962&ProcUid=G2123958&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
When you say "zero" do you mean zero or by "zero" do you mean not enough to take what they are offering? I'm honestly asking because you put it in quotes. Different DT shops will offer different amounts. I was offered $20/tire for my OEM tires and others have posted different amounts they were offered on trade. I just sold them on Craigslist.

Regardless of a 17" or 18" size, its a whole lot better than having a donut in there. It's not deceptive and you didn't pay extra for it, they included it with the tow package.
Ha - I would do two Ha's but that would be impolite. a zero in quotation marks is a statement that they offered nothing. They said they wouldn't take it - period.
AND - if you think you don't pay for the spare when you get the towing package, ummm, never mind. Well - I'll say this. I could have bought the trailer hitch from multiple brand recognized companies for less than half of what the hitch and "full sized" spare cost from Ford. The spare was "NOT" free.

TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
Even if you can buy the full size spare - DON'T. It's another Ford deceptive practice. I got the full siize spare because I got the towing package, and it's on a steel wheel that isn't even the same wheel, same wheel size, or tire size.
You probably couldn't give it away.
Ditto. In my 2023 it isn't even the same brand of tire. My 21 OBX had the cast wheel and the same Michelin tire.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Ditto. In my 2023 it isn't even the same brand of tire. My 21 OBX had the cast wheel and the same Michelin tire.
Cost cutting by Ford. I went with a new matching Michelin tire (with Ford points) and used great condition OBX wheel from Ebay.
If you go full size spare, you will need this item. It's longer to fit a full size spare lock down.

Ford Bronco Sport Full size spare 4887aa88c74bc2a2aaab981680ad5079

Lug Wrench Stud
Part Number:
LJ6Z-17091-C
Other Names: Retainer Lifting Jack
Description: Full size spare.
Fits:
  • Ford:
    • Bronco Sport

Last edited:

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Even if you can buy the full size spare - DON'T. It's another Ford deceptive practice. I got the full siize spare because I got the towing package, and it's on a steel wheel that isn't even the same wheel, same wheel size, or tire size.
You probably couldn't give it away.
err anything is better than the donut wheel

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
After checking the full-size spare, seeing that they put a Pirelli tire in as the full size spare instead of a Falken Wildpeak as equipped in the car is disappointing.

When you have a fix-a-flat - arguably a bad decision, but whatever for weight/cost. When you do a donut spare - yes, obviously it has to have a different size and tire. But when you're putting a full sized spare in the back of a car, there's zero reason to not put the upgraded factory tire on other than trying to pinch pennies.
Sponsored