Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Not specifically positive about the BS, but most AWD systems will not tolerate a different size tire on one position. I think that if you had the size difference on one "axle" (meaning both tires on that axle) it would not be a big problem. The problem is in the clutches the are part of the AWD system if you are spinning one side more than the other, the clutches are wearing prematurely. Yes, the wheels turn at different rates in corners, but not all the time.

That being said, as long as you are rotating the tires every 5k or so, there should not be a "significant" difference in tire diameter, if you are rotating in a 5th full-size spare.
Yes, most 4WD systems are intolerant of different sized wheels. My comment was as regards the Bronco Sport. The Owner's Manual for the Bronco Sport has an entire section on using a different sized spare wheel, so I believe its drive system is designed to be tolerant of this scenario. Which is a good thing, because Ford has installed different sized "full-size" spare tires in all the Badlands that came with the optional 235 width tires. Granted, there's not a lot of difference in diameter between a 225/65R17 and a 235/65R17, but they are different diameter.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
If you donā€™t have a factory full-size spare like with the tow package, the floor of the truck area is shallower by a couple inches. Bronco Sports with the factory full size spare have a different floor pan cover over the spare tire that accommodates a larger tire without the gaps you mention.
Correct but you still have to take the padding out as your picture indicates.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The foam. This is my wifeā€™s BS that doesnā€™t have a 245 in it.

Ford Bronco Sport Full size spare IMG_1016
Mine didn't have that so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s only on certain trim levels. Either way, it looks like a thinner version of carpet padding, at most it looks to be 3/16ā€ thick. Iā€™d be surprised if it made much difference.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Mine didn't have that so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s only on certain trim levels. Either way, it looks like a thinner version of carpet padding, at most it looks to be 3/16ā€ thick. Iā€™d be surprised if it made much difference.
I own 2 2022 Badlands and both had it. It makes a difference. Without removing it the 245 wonā€™t go the whole way down and the cover will not sit flush. You have to remove it for the tire to drop down so the cover is flush.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I own 2 2022 Badlands and both had it. It makes a difference. Without removing it the 245 wonā€™t go the whole way down and the cover will not sit flush. You have to remove it for the tire to drop down so the cover is flush.
Well then youā€™re right, it needs to be removed. My ā€˜21 big bend didnā€™t have it so it was a non-issue for me. Itā€™s odd to see the variance between trims and/or build years. It must have something to do with sound deadening.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Well then youā€™re right, it needs to be removed. My ā€˜21 big bend didnā€™t have it so it was a non-issue for me. Itā€™s odd to see the variance between trims and/or build years. It must have something to do with sound deadening.
Definitely odd it wouldn't be included on all trims.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Definitely odd it wouldn't be included on all trims.
Maybe it was an oversight when they built mine. It must have been either that or the engine cover hahaha. Iā€™m happy to have gotten the engine cover.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
245ā€™s will fit. Search the threads and youā€™ll find a ton of posts on this and pics
There is also a different spare cover correct? It sits higher to accommodate the larger tire? I think it even ā€œloses storageā€ I think badlands is listed at 3 cu. ft. Less cargo room because the taller spare cover. Hope someone can confirm that

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
There is also a different spare cover correct? It sits higher to accommodate the larger tire? I think it even ā€œloses storageā€ I think badlands is listed at 3 cu. ft. Less cargo room because the taller spare cover. Hope someone can confirm that
I donā€™t think itā€™s different. There are 2 slots that it slides in to. A lower and upper. The full size spare just forces the cover to slide into the holes slot

pdx-badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (soon)
Does anyone know if a 30" tall tire will fit (235/70R17)? In other words, is there a half inch to spare with 245/65s?

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Does anyone know if a 30" tall tire will fit (235/70R17)? In other words, is there a half inch to spare with 245/65s?
It will be very, very tight if it does. Iā€™m guessing you wonā€™t get it dropped in enough for the lid to sit flush. I havenā€™t seen anyone post a spare of that size before.
Sponsored