FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
In the world I grew up in, a full size spare was a wheel and tire that was the same as the wheels and tires on the vehicle. When you had to use it, it became the permanent tire and the flat got patched and became the spare. It might as well be a donut since you have to do the same double work as you have to do with the donut, and the donut gives you more storage height that's lost with the so-called full sized spare.
In that case I'm guessing you grew up when 99% of vehicles on the road had steel wheels in which case the BS spare would fit the bill. If they were styled, it was a snap-on hub cap which is likely why they were all matched. if Ford only offered one wheel style on a product line they'd probably still match the spare to the car. I'm failing to follow what the issue is. If you wanted a matching spare, you should have bought a different vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler with the spare on the rear door. Ford doesn't hide it so I'm lost as to how it's a deceptive practice on their end. It takes 5 minutes to swap a wheel back to the factory one once it is fixed and you're back to matching. Getting a flat has never been convenient, regardless of what era one grew up in.
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
@biglarrr if the tire is the same size as what's on the ground, you could still dismount and mount the injured tire as the spare and keep the new tire on the ground. It would involve a little more work though.

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
245/65/17 will fit with a shove. Just know, if you don't have a factory full size spare, the floor "lid" that covers the spare compartment is shallower (since it only has to fit the donut). There will be a gap and it won't sit flush.
Ford Bronco Sport Full size spare IMG_0923
thank you...good info...I appreciate it

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
How big of a tire will fit in the spare location??
235x65's will fit without any modifications. 245x65's will fit with removing the padding.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
In the world I grew up in, a full size spare was a wheel and tire that was the same as the wheels and tires on the vehicle. When you had to use it, it became the permanent tire and the flat got patched and became the spare. It might as well be a donut since you have to do the same double work as you have to do with the donut, and the donut gives you more storage height that's lost with the so-called full sized spare.
You know I grew up in that same world... and me not knowing much about modern computer driven/controlled vehicles ... with these BS and their sophisticated AWD/s.

But I am questioning now before I purchase my new set of tires for my Badlands...to A) not buy a 5th matching full sized tire and instead...B ) place a useable donut style spare.

I'd save weight and space in that compartment and not to mention a few bucks and most rotations I have done only involve the 4 tires on the vehicle and not stress about mixing in a 5th tire... especially since I've been told (and correct me if I'm wrong...)

that

with AWD drive systems if there's any gross differences in wear and tear with a tire being mixed in with your other tires it can cause pre-mature wear on the vehicle.

I've also been informed (and again correct me if I'm wrong here) that simply using a temporary spare such as a dinky donut will not harm much since its a Temp and the Broncos computer will disable some or all of the vehicles AWD features in order to prevent damage.

Any guidance on this appreciated

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This is true:
I've also been informed (and again correct me if I'm wrong here) that simply using a temporary spare such as a dinky donut will not harm much since its a Temp and the Broncos computer will disable some or all of the vehicles AWD features in order to prevent damage.
This is not true:
...with AWD drive systems if there's any gross differences in wear and tear with a tire being mixed in with your other tires it can cause pre-mature wear on the vehicle.
Think about it: If the computer can compensate for a donut spare then why couldn't it also compensate for a slightly different-sized spare?

That said, if you plan on any off-roading I would opt for a spare of the same size installed on the vehicle. The last thing you want is your 4WD system disabled (due to a different size spare) if you need it to get back to civilization.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
This is true:

This is not true:

Think about it: If the computer can compensate for a donut spare then why couldn't it also compensate for a slightly different-sized spare?

That said, if you plan on any off-roading I would opt for a spare of the same size installed on the vehicle. The last thing you want is your 4WD system disabled (due to a different size spare) if you need it to get back to civilization.
Understood... Ive heard these same points... again I'm looking for insights such as yours and others and then pick a course of action... no doubt having a spare (5th tire) same size and model is the ideal... Thanks for the input

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
@biglarrr if the tire is the same size as what's on the ground, you could still dismount and mount the injured tire as the spare and keep the new tire on the ground. It would involve a little more work though.
I think I stated this inmy original post, and someone else also pointed out that it is NOT the same size. The BSOB has 18 inch wheels, and obviously i8 inch tires. The spare is a non matching 17 inch wheel, and I imagine even with your specialized tire mounting equipment, you wouldn't try to mount a 17 inch tire on an 18 inch rim.
And to my other point - because I already asked my local Discount tire store - the steel wheel with brand new tire mounted on it has "zero" trade in value.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I think I stated this inmy original post, and someone else also pointed out that it is NOT the same size. The BSOB has 18 inch wheels, and obviously i8 inch tires. The spare is a non matching 17 inch wheel, and I imagine even with your specialized tire mounting equipment, you wouldn't try to mount a 17 inch tire on an 18 inch rim.
And to my other point - because I already asked my local Discount tire store - the steel wheel with brand new tire mounted on it has "zero" trade in value.
When you say "zero" do you mean zero or by "zero" do you mean not enough to take what they are offering? I'm honestly asking because you put it in quotes. Different DT shops will offer different amounts. I was offered $20/tire for my OEM tires and others have posted different amounts they were offered on trade. I just sold them on Craigslist.

Regardless of a 17" or 18" size, its a whole lot better than having a donut in there. It's not deceptive and you didn't pay extra for it, they included it with the tow package.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Not specifically positive about the BS, but most AWD systems will not tolerate a different size tire on one position. I think that if you had the size difference on one "axle" (meaning both tires on that axle) it would not be a big problem. The problem is in the clutches the are part of the AWD system if you are spinning one side more than the other, the clutches are wearing prematurely. Yes, the wheels turn at different rates in corners, but not all the time.

That being said, as long as you are rotating the tires every 5k or so, there should not be a "significant" difference in tire diameter, if you are rotating in a 5th full-size spare.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My cover wouldn't lay flat with the padding, it was elevated. I took it out and it was flush.
If you don’t have a factory full-size spare like with the tow package, the floor of the truck area is shallower by a couple inches. Bronco Sports with the factory full size spare have a different floor pan cover over the spare tire that accommodates a larger tire without the gaps you mention.
Sponsored