Flat tire experience and prep for next time

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
After our return flight to Philadelphia we loaded up our luggage in the BSport and started heading home. 10 minutes into the drive while merging onto I-95 the TPMS sensor threw an alarm and I watched as the tire pressure went to zero in about 10 seconds. I pulled over onto the shoulder and sure enough the right rear tire was flat. Not what anyone needs at anytime especially after a long international flight. All I could think about was how glad I was it wasn’t dark outside and knew the full sized spare was waiting to be put on. Everything was easy to get to and I had no issues changing the tire. I was able to get the flat fixed yesterday it was a screw that punctured the center of the tread so a patch worked fine. Putting the spare back in its place I told myself I should’ve taken a quick picture of how the factory stored the wrench and the nylon velcro strap in order to put it back the same way- I’m sure I got it close but would have liked a reference pic. Anyway I will make sure that for next time I have a very good portable light in the BSport in case this happens again at night. A flashlight would work if I have someone to hold it but need something that would also work if I’m by myself. I’m hoping for suggestions please!

Ford Bronco Sport Flat tire experience and prep for next time IMG_0459
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
As @SBGrad said, a headlamp is the best choice for this situation. I got a flat on the highway a week or so into having our BS. You may also want to look into storing a torque wrench and socket back there as well. I was hours away from home and not knowing if I was able to apply enough torque with the cheap wrench supplied I stopped several times to reassure myself that the lugs were staying tight. I won't have that issue again if I get another flat. Also put some gloves in there to make handling everything a little easier for you in inclement weather.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I ran over a piece of metal bar in a month old OBX. The TPMS came on and I limped down the street to get off the road. Front left and right rear flat but the tires were fine - 2 vent wheels.

There was no way in hell I was going to find OBX wheels that early but luckily I found a local wheel repair guy who straightened them back out

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Last edited:

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
I was give a gizmo called a Halo Bolt several years ago. It is very compact, will jump your battery, provide emergency lighting, charge your phone or accessories AND has an on board air pump to fill tires. It will do all of the above multiple times on ONE charge. (Not that it may have mattered to the OP in this instance)

I have left it in my car for up to a year without recharge and it’s remained at nearly 100% capacity.

When I first got the device, I thought it was too good to be true and had low expectations. Honestly, It has come in handy numerous times and far exceeded expectations. I’ve given as gifts to several, with same results. Not sure if the link will work but here it is…

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Bolt-Air-Emergency-Interchangeable/dp/B08KJNKC6V/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_maf_4?adgrpid=61514410052&hvadid=656772424058&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9003347&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=851856350723774489&hvtargid=kwd-390976509830&hydadcr=11147_13612525&keywords=halo+car+jumper&qid=1697984707&sr=8-3

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I was give a gizmo called a Halo Bolt several years ago. It will jump your battery, provide emergency lighting, charge your phone or accessories AND has an on board air pump to fill tires. It will do all of the above multiple times on ONE charge. (Not that it may have mattered to the OP in this instance)

I have left it in my car for up to a year without recharge and it’s remained at nearly 100% capacity.

When I first got the device, I thought it was too good to be true and had low expectations. Honestly, It has come in handy numerous times and far exceeded expectations. I’ve given as gifts to several, with same results. Not sure if the link will work but here it is…

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Bolt-Air-Emergency-Interchangeable/dp/B08KJNKC6V/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_maf_4?adgrpid=61514410052&hvadid=656772424058&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9003347&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=851856350723774489&hvtargid=kwd-390976509830&hydadcr=11147_13612525&keywords=halo+car+jumper&qid=1697984707&sr=8-3
I carry the NOCO Genius Boost. With the battery issues the BS seems to have, don't leave home without it. :)

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I thought the post would be about memorizing the AAA number. That’s my emergency preparedness.

But I do keep a Gorilla Wrench with its sockets, box of gloves, rechargeable flashlight and a bunch of miscellaneous tools in the BS.

Uncle Buck

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the reminder everyone. Looks like my Amazon cart is getting some new additions.

Anyone play around with adding a 12v in the spare tire well to keep a jump starter and a headlamp charged continuously?

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
We are driving portable bottle openers.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Anyone know exactly what the nylon strap is used for?
Ford supplies it to strap down and secure your flat tire in the back.
Sponsored