OP
OP

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
I thought the post would be about memorizing the AAA number. That’s my emergency preparedness.

But I do keep a Gorilla Wrench with its sockets, box of gloves, rechargeable flashlight and a bunch of miscellaneous tools in the BS.
I hear you and I am a current AAA member. In todays world in cities like Philadelphia a breakdown can lead to a dangerous situation. For a minor issue like this I would much rather change it myself and get back on the road ASAP instead of taking a chance waiting like a sitting duck for unscrupulous characters to come along while I’m waiting an hour or more for assistance.
Sponsored

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
After our return flight to Philadelphia we loaded up our luggage in the BSport and started heading home. 10 minutes into the drive while merging onto I-95 the TPMS sensor threw an alarm and I watched as the tire pressure went to zero in about 10 seconds. I pulled over onto the shoulder and sure enough the right rear tire was flat. Not what anyone needs at anytime especially after a long international flight. All I could think about was how glad I was it wasn’t dark outside and knew the full sized spare was waiting to be put on. Everything was easy to get to and I had no issues changing the tire. I was able to get the flat fixed yesterday it was a screw that punctured the center of the tread so a patch worked fine. Putting the spare back in its place I told myself I should’ve taken a quick picture of how the factory stored the wrench and the nylon velcro strap in order to put it back the same way- I’m sure I got it close but would have liked a reference pic. Anyway I will make sure that for next time I have a very good portable light in the BSport in case this happens again at night. A flashlight would work if I have someone to hold it but need something that would also work if I’m by myself. I’m hoping for suggestions please!
Bummer about the flat! Especially those moments when you REALLY want to get home. Here's that picture you forgot to take. If you need another angle let me know. I haven't had to use my spare yet so it's all where it was when it left the plant.

Ford Bronco Sport Flat tire experience and prep for next time IMG_0880.JPG

OP
OP

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
Bummer about the flat! Especially those moments when you REALLY want to get home. Here's that picture you forgot to take. If you need another angle let me know. I haven't had to use my spare yet so it's all where it was when it left the plant.

Many thanks!

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
When I worked for the Forest Service, I had two flats the same day more than once. We drove too fast on gravel roads, and sharp rocks would puncture the passenger tires that came on our trucks. I was headed home late one night and had a flat. I got out my trusty FS Headlamp (it ran on D batteries I believe). The batteries had been in the truck all summer and had turned to mush. I'd changed the tires so many times I was able to do it in complete darkness.

Since that day, I keep a headlamp or flashlight in every vehicle with AA lithium batteries that don't melt in the heat. Here in the desert Southwest, car interiors commonly get up to 140 degrees. It doesn't seem to bother lithium batteries.

I have one of the small jump starters in my vehicle as well. When my Jeep battery was fully discharged, it wouldn't start it. When I go out of town, I carry a big jump starter. I've replaced the car battery with it and driven a couple of miles, and jumped others with it.

I also carrry a plug kit for tire repair, and a Viair air compressor. My experience with small air compressors is that they get hot and sieze up if you try to do much with them. It helps to keep your engine running while pumping because the higher voltage from the alternator makes the pumps run better without overheating. The plug kit and the Viair saved the day in the middle of nowhere last February.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
… I keep a headlamp or flashlight in every vehicle with AA lithium batteries that don't melt in the heat. Here in the desert Southwest, car interiors commonly get up to 140 degrees. It doesn't seem to bother lithium batteries.”
Car interiors do commonly get to 140° and sometimes exceed 140° in hot climates like the desert Southwest. That is why I check both the storage spec and the operating spec for any device before putting it in the vehicle. Many devices are not rated for that sort of hot temperature.

Regarding lithium batteries however here is just one example of an issue storing lithium batteries batteries at those temperatures and there are other more dangerous issues…

“Higher temperatures can accelerate the rate of (lithium battery) self-discharge, causing the battery to lose its charge more quickly when parked in hot environments”.

I don’t keep lithium batteries in the vehicle for any extended period of time when the interior will reach temperatures that exceed the ratings of the device.

jason202

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2009 Volvo C30 T5

Thanks. I might just print this photo and stash it back there in case I ever need it.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Car interiors do commonly get to 140° and sometimes exceed 140° in hot climates like the desert Southwest. That is why I check both the storage spec and the operating spec for any device before putting it in the vehicle. Many devices are not rated for that sort of hot temperature.

Regarding lithium batteries however here is just one example of an issue storing lithium batteries batteries at those temperatures and there are other more dangerous issues…

“Higher temperatures can accelerate the rate of (lithium battery) self-discharge, causing the battery to lose its charge more quickly when parked in hot environments”.

I don’t keep lithium batteries in the vehicle for any extended period of time when the interior will reach temperatures that exceed the ratings of the device.
I asked the maker of my jumper NOCO the temp thing. Seems using it in extremely high or low temps isn't good. I don't believe a vehicle interior (other than the jump starter sitting in the sun) can get to the temps of the limit 176F in 95 degree temps or even higher temps like 100.

April C
(NOCO)
Oct 24, 2023, 15:09 MST
Hello,

Joe, there is no danger of that, we recommend keeping it under the recommended temperature to protect the unit from overheating.

Recommended storage temperatures are -4F to 122F (-20C to 50C). Storing the Boost outside of these ranges can cause damage to multiple crucial components of the jump starter. The Boost should not be in temperatures exceeding 176F (80C) under any condition.

Kind regards,
April | Support
The NOCO Company

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked the maker of my jumper NOCO the temp thing. Seems using it in extremely high or low temps isn't good. I don't believe a vehicle interior (other than the jump starter sitting in the sun) can get to the temps of the limit 176F in 95 degree temps or even higher temps like 100.

April C
(NOCO)
Oct 24, 2023, 15:09 MST
Hello,

Joe, there is no danger of that, we recommend keeping it under the recommended temperature to protect the unit from overheating.

Recommended storage temperatures are -4F to 122F (-20C to 50C). Storing the Boost outside of these ranges can cause damage to multiple crucial components of the jump starter. The Boost should not be in temperatures exceeding 176F (80C) under any condition.

Kind regards,
April | Support
The NOCO Company
Don’t understand your reply. The max storage temp is 122°F. Maybe you mean where you live your vehicle will not exceed 122.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t understand your reply. The max storage temp is 122°F. Maybe you mean where you live your vehicle will not exceed 122.
Yes, storage but the email shows it won't cause a bigger issue at over 176 degrees. I asked if the unit would catch fire or explode. She said there was no danger of that happening.

I'll keep it now in the BS 3 seasons and occasionally in summer. It's hot here in summer and no worrying about it blowing up. lol

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, storage but the email shows it won't cause a bigger issue at over 176 degrees. I asked if the unit would catch fire or explode. She said there was no danger of that happening.

I'll keep it now in the BS 3 seasons and occasionally in summer. It's hot here in summer and no worrying about it blowing up. lol
“Recommended storage temperatures are -4F to 122F .. outside of these ranges can cause damage to multiple crucial components of the jump starter”

damage to multiple crucial components sounds pretty bad but it’s like playing roulette so ok I get it, is a risk you are willing to take.

Last edited:

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The Energizer flashlight batteries I'm talking about are rated to 140°. Storing them under a seat probably won't blow them up. At least it hasn't in the 15 years I've been doing it.

I don't understand why Ford doesn't build in a solar powered ventilation system for their vehicles. I'd pay extra for that.

I flipped my spare tire so I could store more emergency gear in my trunk. A jump starter could be stored there and would be cooler than most places in the vehicle.

Last edited:

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still don’t understand. The email stated:

“Recommended storage temperatures are -4F to 122F .. outside of these ranges can cause damage to multiple crucial components of the jump starter”

damage to multiple crucial components sounds pretty bad but it’s like playing roulette so ok I get it, is a risk you are willing to take.
My question to the Rep was in short is there a danger of the unit exploding while kept in a hot vehicle? She replied no but what I understand from her email is do not keep the unit in a temp of 176 or more which would definitely kill the working ability of the unit. I don't believe a vehicle interior can reach that temperature of 176 degrees.