Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack?

xred5x

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have found that the rack I use doesn’t impede the backup camera much but it does piss off the sensors..I’ve tried turning the sensors off but they turn back on when I restart the vehicle.

I just live with it and usually when backing up the vehicle recognizes the sensors are blocked within about 5 seconds then turns the system off automatically.

downside of a rack on the back I guess!

I’ve taken the rack loaded on long trips and down rough roads without any issue or damage to the bikes, rack or vehicle!

Awesome rack and system if you’re into biking and transporting the bikes!

also has a great anti rattle system that locks everything right down and there’s zero movement in the hitch
Sponsored

Neil

Big Bend
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
I’ve used just about every method over the years and the 1 UP is without a doubt my favorite. No plastic parts, made in USA, very sturdy and expandable.

TSP Overland

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Between the two I'd go with a platform rack. KUAT is my brand of choice but there are several nice ones out there.

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 1665593683397

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Platform rack. Must grip only the wheel/tire, nothing touching bicycle frame. My Tule t2 is still going strong after 13 years of heavy use.
to each their own, I have a gary fisher mtb I've ridden hard for 30 years. Regular tunes, cleaning after rides, using a hanging rack, using a fork mount in a pickup, never had issues. Take care of your bike it takes care of you. The cross tube can handle it. I secure it pretty good with nylon straps to prevent excessive movement. Comes down to whatever you are comfortable with.

michelleperms

Outer Banks
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
I would go with a hanging rack.

we currently have a VelociRax which is awesome. We have expensive carbon bikes and have both mtb and gravel.

it hangs by the wheels and they also can take fat bikes.

the only downside is having to tilt the rack when loading our dog but it’s not a big deal. Awesome rack and highly recommend it. Super easy to load and no movement when driving.

As noted, fewer fewer bikes have a horizontal top tube meaning the bike starts to hang at some crazy tilts, if you an even hang them at all on the hanging style.

The platform style tends to keep the bikes further apart and uses the wheels to hold them on, minimizing scratches and dings to the paint.

I have a Saris Supercamp EX 4 Bike carrier and am happy with it (and yes, they list for about 1k these days). The old rack is a Yakima 4 bike hanging rack, and it did its job in the day, but I won't go back to a hanging rack.

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 22EC391D-1718-4333-9F61-2C88A4682B33

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 9AD76C73-D039-4087-919F-F61A883B5793

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 26F902A4-3EFE-4B75-880B-EB440CE157AB

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? FBCE8181-13A7-4E78-A052-FB135AE3B568

dont foget to check out this hitch bike rack hanging vs platform
I want to get a new 2” hitch bike rack. I would like something that doesn’t sway around too much. Preferably not touch the vehicle with straps. Easy to load and unload. The options are hanging and platform. Can somebody tell me which is better and why?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I want to get a new 2” hitch bike rack. I would like something that doesn’t sway around too much. Preferably not touch the vehicle with straps. Easy to load and unload. The options are hanging and platform. Can somebody tell me which is better and why?
Look at Kuat bike racks but first get a good idea of the width of your tires and the weight of your bike(s) that you have now and may get in the near future, e-bikes tend to be pretty heavy. These parameters influence the best rack for your needs.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The other thing to keep in mind is that a platform rack can be pretty heavy, if you intend to remove the rack frequently. I prefer the platform rack because just about any bike can be mounted, they are very steady once mounted, and it is easy/fast. They just weigh quite a bit and I think much more than a hanging rack.

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I too am a platform guy......easier to load and unload, more secure, your wheels aint spinnin......

And roof racks.....if you aint 7'11" with linebacker arms...fuggettaboutit!

xred5x

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I personally love the hanging racks. The velocirax is rock solid, you can transport anything from a road bike with tiny tires to a fatbike.

we regularly transport our bikes and I’ve transported on long road trips with zero issues including down rough gravel roads to trailheads, there’s no sway and the bikes are super secure.

I like the hydraulics that slowly drop the loaded rack and it’s so easy to load our 11 year old can load her hardtail mtb which weighs close to 30lbs.
You don’t need to muscle the bikes up, you simply get them on the back wheel and roll them to the rack and use your knee if you need to boost it up and into the cradle.
Each to their own and all have pros and cons, I’m personally not a fan of the platform racks.

xred5x

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The velocirax also doesn’t block your licence plate even when loaded which can get you a ticket depending on where you live.
If you live in a snow area where you may not ride in winter months there is a bracket where the velocirax can be attached the the garage wall when not in use and is a hanging rack in the garage. I don’t use it this way as we bike year round but it’s an option

Goose

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have found that the rack I use doesn’t impede the backup camera much but it does piss off the sensors..I’ve tried turning the sensors off but they turn back on when I restart the vehicle.

I just live with it and usually when backing up the vehicle recognizes the sensors are blocked within about 5 seconds then turns the system off automatically.

downside of a rack on the back I guess!

I’ve taken the rack loaded on long trips and down rough roads without any issue or damage to the bikes, rack or vehicle!

Awesome rack and system if you’re into biking and transporting the bikes!

also has a great anti rattle system that locks everything right down and there’s zero movement in the hitch

Thanks so much for the info. I’ve just sold my truck and need to get a rack for the new Bronco Sport. I love the Velocirax (a few friends have them) but I was wondering a couple of things –

• Do you leave your rack on the Bronco full time? I may have to and was curious what you thought
  • Velocirax indicates it needs to be a Class III hitch. The Bronco Sport has a Class II with a 220lb tongue weight. A Velocirax 4 and 4 bikes is just about that load. Can I ask if you put an aftermarket hitch on or is it the factory one? This is my biggest concern in purchasing as I love their racks. Thanks!

Last edited:

xred5x

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks so much for the info. I’ve just sold my truck and need to get a rack for the new Bronco Sport. I love the Velocirax (a few friends have them) but I was wondering a couple of things –

• Do you leave your rack on the Bronco full time? I may have to and was curious what you thought
  • Velocirax indicates it needs to be a Class III hitch. The Bronco Sport has a Class II with a 220lb tongue weight. A Velocirax 4 and 4 bikes is just about that load. Can I ask if you put an aftermarket hitch on or is it the factory one? This is my biggest concern in purchasing as I love their racks. Thanks!
I leave my rack on the vehicle 99% of the time. We’ve had the rack on our sport since new (Oct 2021) and I think it’s been off maybe 3 times for various reasons (odd period of snow here and a long road trip without the bikes) but never more than a few weeks.

I’ve never changed the hitch and never had a problem either. My daughter seems to think the Velocirax are also a set of monkey bars sometimes and still not issues!

The rack has been bomb proof so far, our BS has about 35 000km on it and the rack has probably been on for 32 000 of those! So far no real rust noticeable, the only thing is during the winter or colder weather the gas shocks make it a bit slower and harder to pull back, no big deal tho.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke