Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack?

AGLzaca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Any cyclists who have made this choice on a hitch rack, between a hanging rack and a platform rack?

It'll often just be a single bike, but other times it'll be 2 or 3 bikes, mix of road and MTBs, generally carbon fibre bikes if that matters.
Sponsored

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
My opinion is that the platform rack is the only way to go.....

most of these rack does not even touch the frame when the bike is mounted. the hanging one may or may not work with different type of frames. it is designed for a traditional double triangle type frame. frames with sloping top tubes doesn't hang that good either.

If you somehow needs to bring adults sized bikes and kids bike, then you need to consider how the racks work. not all racks works well with that combination.

I have owned roof racks for many years..... and then a Thule T2 hitch platform rack. Now I use 1 Up. I like these for their quality built and easily replaced parts (if needed) and modular design. I have the same tray using on a roof rack and hitch mount. I have a car with smaller 1 1/4 and another with 2" all works well. They are also reasonably light for the weight they are rated to carry. There are other threads here talking about these 1UP as well.

Pinski66

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger,
I have owned various types of racks over the years. I bought a platform type (kuat sherpa). I like it the best. It is the easiest and fastest to load a bike on. Easy and fast was important to me, more time for the ride. The only negative is that it obscures the backup camera.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Any cyclists who have made this choice on a hitch rack, between a hanging rack and a platform rack?

It'll often just be a single bike, but other times it'll be 2 or 3 bikes, mix of road and MTBs, generally carbon fibre bikes if that matters.
I'm pretty sure platform's are the way to go, however for me the Harbor Freight Hitch rack for $39.95 with a light modification works great for me. Have a Ride1Up 500 weighs in about 55 lbs. It goes on first and sometimes an old Schwinn too. Combined less than 100 lbs. I did have to flip the right hanger over so the Ride1up sits more level.
This works for me with out breaking the budget.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have a cheaper hitch rack, one fat tire 50 pounds and a standard hard tail mtb about 20 pounds. It's 60 miles to the trails we ride, it seemed pretty stable last year fwiw.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Platform: More sturdy, more visiblity, easier/quicker to load. Some are modular to increase load. Only downside is they're more expensive, but they last longer than the hang of the back type. Also making sure that you have a hitch too and of of course heavier

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
Platform. Itā€™s recommended that you do not hang carbon frames from the frame for extended periods.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Love my 1up rack. Only thing it doesnā€™t work great on is bikes with full fenders. Only touches the tires, no damage to paint or carbon.

xred5x

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I would go with a hanging rack.

we currently have a VelociRax which is awesome. We have expensive carbon bikes and have both mtb and gravel.

it hangs by the wheels and they also can take fat bikes.

the only downside is having to tilt the rack when loading our dog but itā€™s not a big deal. Awesome rack and highly recommend it. Super easy to load and no movement when driving.

I can easily load 4 mtbā€™s or both our mtbā€™s and wide bar gravel bikes.

the rack will take any bike including our daughters bike without issue.

there are gas shocks on it for when itā€™s loaded it slowly moves down and you can even drop the rack to the ground and use it like a stationary bike rack when camping to keep bikes upright.

I had a northshore rack prior and this rack is much better and versatile. Only con is the price.

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 22EC391D-1718-4333-9F61-2C88A4682B33

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 9AD76C73-D039-4087-919F-F61A883B5793

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? 26F902A4-3EFE-4B75-880B-EB440CE157AB

Ford Bronco Sport Cyclists - platform vs hanging hitch rack? FBCE8181-13A7-4E78-A052-FB135AE3B568

LMV88

Big Bend
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have owned various types of racks over the years. I bought a platform type (kuat sherpa). I like it the best. It is the easiest and fastest to load a bike on. Easy and fast was important to me, more time for the ride. The only negative is that it obscures the backup camera.
Quick question. I had an Yakima full swing installed and didn't realize, not just the obscurity, but the alarm going off when I backed up. Did you turn off your alarm or do you just live with it as you back up. If you shut off the alarm, how did you do it?