tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
The 1.5 in the BS has a timing chain but a belt drives the oil pump.
I had looked this up when I bought the car - there was a lot of debate about it. I was able to find the part number of the chain and tensioner for the 1.5 3cyl at the time. There is a belt drive in other versions of the engine, but it appears to be a chain in the Bronco Sport. But I have not physically seen the chain - so I would not make any definite claims. I also had seen the part number of oil pump belt.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I had looked this up when I bought the car - there was a lot of debate about it. I was able to find the part number of the chain and tensioner for the 1.5 3cyl at the time. There is a belt drive in other versions of the engine, but it appears to be a chain in the Bronco Sport. But I have not physically seen the chain - so I would not make any definite claims. I also had seen the part number of oil pump belt.
Can you share your source? It seems odd Ford would use a belt in the engine for one car and a chain for the same engine in a different car. The whole point of using the same engine for different cars is to reduce the number of production lines. If you change something as critical as the cam shaft drive system you'll need a different production line.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you share your source? It seems odd Ford would use a belt in the engine for one car and a chain for the same engine in a different car. The whole point of using the same engine for different cars is to reduce the number of production lines. If you change something as critical as the cam shaft drive system you'll need a different production line.

I don't know the source I originally looked up (I think it was Ford), but I just Googled this:

https://ogattiparts.net/shop/engine-kits/1-5l-engines/brand-new-oem-timing-chain-kit-1-5l-dragon-2019-2022-6-pieces-escapebronco-og-60-1-5l-6/

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You can find the part# for the chain at TASCA (online Ford OEM parts supplier). When you do, there's a link to check if the part fits your vehicle. Oddly, it says the part fits the 2021 MY BS, but not 2022 or 2023 MYs.

Not sure what the right answer here is. You can also check by VIN at TASCA for parts compatibility. That might be the right way to find out the answer for your specific vehicle. Makes absolutely no sense to me that Ford would use a chain for some versions of the engine and a belt for others...

Xzavior1818

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2019 Mustang Gt
I can't think of the source but I think the non turbo dragon uses a belt and the ecoboost uses a chain..

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can find the part# for the chain at TASCA (online Ford OEM parts supplier). When you do, there's a link to check if the part fits your vehicle. Oddly, it says the part fits the 2021 MY BS, but not 2022 or 2023 MYs.

Not sure what the right answer here is. You can also check by VIN at TASCA for parts compatibility. That might be the right way to find out the answer for your specific vehicle. Makes absolutely no sense to me that Ford would use a chain for some versions of the engine and a belt for others...
What I remember reading is that the Dragon engine is produced in many factories all over the world and there are multiple versions of it. I think the 1.0 version in the Eco-Sport has the timing belt. Other versions slated for other countries also use the belt. But the version sourced for the Bronco Sport and Escape have the timing chain. Keep in mind some versions of this engine have the turbo and some don't - they make several flavors.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
What I remember reading is that the Dragon engine is produced in many factories all over the world and there are multiple versions of it. I think the 1.0 version in the Eco-Sport has the timing belt. Other versions slated for other countries also use the belt. But the version sourced for the Bronco Sport and Escape have the timing chain. Keep in mind some versions of this engine have the turbo and some don't - they make several flavors.
Interesting. If it's a belt, would it require changing at a certain mileage like most other belt driven camshafts, as to not drop a valve into the combustion chamber? Assuming it's an overhead camshaft perhaps? Chain driven can stretch, but don't usually break to become a catastrophic failure.

Maybe I'm wrong here? I don't see a recommended procedure for a camshaft belt replacement in the owners manual.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. If it's a belt, would it require changing at a certain mileage like most other belt driven camshafts, as to not drop a valve into the combustion chamber? Assuming it's an overhead camshaft perhaps? Chain driven can stretch, but don't usually break to become a catastrophic failure.

Maybe I'm wrong here? I don't see a recommended procedure for a camshaft belt replacement in the owners manual.

I am saying that my research (not high level research) shows that it is a chain and does not have a regular replacement interval. There has been discussion over the years that the Bronco Sport 1.5 has a timing belt - which would need replaced at certain intervals. I think the confusion is that there are multiple versions of the 3 cylinder Dragon engine - some versions do have a belt. But I am pretty sure the Bronco sport 1.5 has the chain.
I have changed timing belts myself on a number of cars I have owned - it can be a bit of a job depending on the car. I did a timing chain on one of my Saabs and it was easy - I just broke the old chain at the master link and attached the new chain to the old chain - and rotated the engine through until the new chain was on.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport

Xzavior1818

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2019 Mustang Gt
Here's a diagram for reference.

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reliability 5B647331-2ED9-42A3-AAE0-117B150C8AD5

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reliability 7E76ABC4-AC40-4E62-B067-B5F06D985208

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
I found part numbers for a chain and a belt.

Seen both a gear driven oil pump and belt driven oil pump.

Now I gotta pull my $10k off the table because I have no idea.