Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Are the belt driven versions also equipped with auto stop/start? Wondering if this places a "load" on using a belt for the cam?
I don't know. From the video it appears the valve deactivation mechanism is independent of the drive mechanism.
Sponsored

Jake10080Guy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
From what i know.. there's a lot of versions of the 1.5L Ti-VCT Dragon

The NON-turbocharged version of this engine uses a timing belt dipped in oil.
And the TURBO version uses a timing chain,

The Fiesta ST in Europe has the same EXACT engine, its cranking 200-hp, no issues. The Turbocharged EcoBoost Dragon is 6 years old now, in the Bronco sport/ford escape it could go a bit longer since it's espically de-tuned.

I've researched hard enough. Never saw any sudden major engine failure or lockup with this engine.

If you want to know more about the Bronco Sport's engine this video is your best bet:

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I thought this short video was interesting, it’s the 1.0L engine but do the 1.5l have the same belt drive design for the oil pump?

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I thought this short video was interesting, it’s the 1.0L engine but do the 1.5l have the same belt drive design for the oil pump?
Just for the sake of clarification, the author engaged in a bit of sensationalism and buried the lede. The article makes it sound like there are 240,000 Fords out there with failed engines. That's not the case.

NHTSA is not investigating a quarter-million vehicles. It has opened an investigation based on some 95 consumer complaints out of around 240,000 vehicles, and we don't know how many of those complaints have been confirmed to be caused by this suspected "defect." If the NHTSA requires Ford to issue a recall it could potentially affect around 240,000. But this investigation is in the very early stages, and speculation about a recall is premature.

After scaring the shit out of everyone regarding belt drives (as opposed to chains), the author included the following near the end of the article:

The Drive said:
Now, the concept of a wet belt isn't exactly unique to the 1.0-liter EcoBoost. In fact, Ford used a similar setup in later-year 2.7-liter and 5.0-liter engines (though in the latter case, those belts were Kevlar-reinforced). Some internet sleuthing didn't bring up failures related to those motors—just concerns from owners over the potential for problems, based on the 1.0-liter's poor reputation.

Likewise, the oil pumps in the 3.0-liter Duramax found under the hood of General Motors' trucks are driven by a similar wet-belt system. As is Volkswagen's 2.0-liter EA288 TDI engine. It's not exactly a common trend, but automakers that have adopted the method have boasted about the advantages of less friction, a more compact design, and better overall efficiency. However, serviceability is a concern for DIYers and high-mileage owners.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
A water pump here and there but the 1.5L seems fine. The BS electrical system seems to blow.

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

Jake10080Guy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
So perhaps the oil pump is belt driven, and the cams are chain driven?
from what i heard- If i remember correctly it was said that
The dragon engine's oil pump is actually driven by the balance-shaft, and the balance shaft is a gear-to-gear piece connected to the crank, so. That's new,

Sadly youtuber jmc6000 deleted the livestream post where he talks about it

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I ordered a Big Bend for my wife yesterday. Turns out a 1994 Z28 Camaro isn't the greatest daily driver especially when your office is your car!

This is actually the first new car I've bought. The plan is to own it and take it to 200k.
This being said, what's the buzz on the 1.5L dragon?
My research shows this has been the motor to have in the Euro Fiesta STs. Reliability seems good.
I suppose time will tell as for long term reliability, but that's a risk we take.

I've been reading some things about the wet timing belt catastrophically destroying the engine? Is this true?

Sorry for the unorganized post--these are just my thoughts and questions that pop up into my head.
200k? Its not a toyota bro

Jake10080Guy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
200k? Its not a toyota bro
What does that have to do with it? Toyotas have problems too. the thing is EVERY engine, you can literally look up any engine and they ALL have a fair share of common problems, there is NO, perfect engine.

Look at the complaints about the 8-speed when the new Camry came out, the 2.5L Dynamic-force engine had a recall for oversized pistons-issues with the electric water pump- etc.

Don't bring the "It's not a Toyota" cr8p to this forum please.

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
What does that have to do with it? Toyotas have problems too. the thing is EVERY engine, you can literally look up any engine and they ALL have a fair share of common problems, there is NO, perfect engine.

Look at the complaints about the 8-speed when the new Camry came out, the 2.5L Dynamic-force engine had a recall for oversized pistons-issues with the electric water pump- etc.

Don't bring the "It's not a Toyota" cr8p to this forum please.
Lol take it easy buddy you are triggered....
Sponsored