Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Questions about the reliability of modern, small-displacement turbocharged engines are common, especially with people who've been around for awhile. Turbocharged engines used to be considered "cheating," and everyone knew they would eventually blow up. There was a modicum of truth to these concerns back in the day. Before computer-controlled ignition and fuel injection, there was a certain level of guess work when it came to designing a turbocharged engine for production. And failure of the right (wrong?) component often meant utter disaster.

Todays engines are comprehensively instrumented, and all the critical data goes to a computer. Besides controlling the engine to keep it operating within design parameters, the computer can use the data collected to shut everything down--placing the engine into limp mode--at the first sign of trouble. A minor component failure resulting in catastrophic engine failure in the past is now a few days (well, maybe more until we get the supply chain stuff figured out) of inconvenience until the part can be replaced.

Ford's EcoBoost series engines have been operating worldwide for over a decade, giving Ford a massive trove of real-world data with which to continue refining the technology. There isn't much new in the 1.5L model over previous versions, making it a fairly well-understood platform. Given the number in operation around the world and the ease with which owner may share data with one another using the Internet, I think if there were any issues with long-term reliability we'd know about them by now.
This is why we love your input man. Some actually informed perspective and realistic approach. The internet is flooded with black and white statements that as a person who knows very little about vehicles, drives me insane haha “this engine very good/bad” with zero explanation of the statement. All that to say your input is greatly appreciated

sparkerk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited to Bronco Sport
200k? Its not a toyota bro
Sure, 200K or more isn't always out of the question for many other makes. My 2010 Escape is less than 200 miles shy of clocking 200,000 and it's still going strong. It's not perfect, but still reliable - I'd drive it on long road trips if I didn't have my BS ;). I've put about 70,000 of those miles on it over the last 5 -6 years. I replaced the throttle body on it 20,000 miles ago or so because it was throwing a code, but have had no major issues with it since I bought it at 126k. (It has the Duratec V6 BTW) It's now a secondary vehicle shared between my wife and I, and my mother-in-law as well, so it still gets reasonably frequent use.

My 1988 Camaro also has 260k or so, and it still runs (not running great, but I have plans to overhaul it soon anyway, but still can be driven). In the past I've also driven an '88 Suburban, and '88 Bronco, both were over 200k. None of those vehicles were Toyotas. Toyotas are great, but other brands can't be discounted - there are a number of factors as to why some vehicles die at 40k and others at 200k or more, for all makes and models.

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Sure, 200K or more isn't always out of the question for many other makes. My 2010 Escape is less than 200 miles shy of clocking 200,000 and it's still going strong. It's not perfect, but still reliable - I'd drive it on long road trips if I didn't have my BS ;). I've put about 70,000 of those miles on it over the last 5 -6 years. I replaced the throttle body on it 20,000 miles ago or so because it was throwing a code, but have had no major issues with it since I bought it at 126k. (It has the Duratec V6 BTW) It's now a secondary vehicle shared between my wife and I, and my mother-in-law as well, so it still gets reasonably frequent use.

My 1988 Camaro also has 260k or so, and it still runs (not running great, but I have plans to overhaul it soon anyway, but still can be driven). In the past I've also driven an '88 Suburban, and '88 Bronco, both were over 200k. None of those vehicles were Toyotas. Toyotas are great, but other brands can't be discounted - there are a number of factors as to why some vehicles die at 40k and others at 200k or more, for all makes and models.
Yeah my e36 vert has 186k on it and running well. But thats not the point lol

Wild Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
LARRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have to agree the BS is sure a fun vehicle . I have to congratulate the Ford engineers on coming up with such a sporty vehicle. I am amazed by the good ride , handling , and acceleration. Every time I take my BS out for a drive , I feel like I am driving a sports car.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
I have to agree the BS is sure a fun vehicle . I have to congratulate the Ford engineers on coming up with such a sporty vehicle. I am amazed by the good ride , handling , and acceleration. Every time I take my BS out for a drive , I feel like I am driving a sports car.
12K miles 2023 Big Bend runs flawlessly

CactusGreyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Memo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2017 Flex 365 HP/EcoBoost,VW GL
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reliability 1641316628814

Had to throw in a Dude reference for you.

Thanks for the info. I'm an engineer and handy with a wrench. I've mainly owned junkers my whole life, and drive an 88' Ford daily.

As long as the engine isn't prone to blowing up, I'm game to do any maintenance or repairs required of it.

I’m with Zed on this. I’m not a mechanic but saving hundreds on car repairs motivates me to figure out how to change rack & pinions, ball joints, brakes, transmission flushes, etc…
Sponsored