Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
It is true 4x4. It has more limitations than the 2/4 door. It has less limitation than the escape. How long it can go is determined by how hard it is pushed. This will be different for every person and you're not going to find this answer cherry picking quotes. What you will find is people taking stabs bc it’s not the ultimate off-roader. Then you will have people quoting those phrases calling it a false 4x4
this is not a true 4x4. It is an AWD suv. True 4x4 needs to have a low range gearing set up. Bronco sport can go off road despite not being 4x4.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
It is true 4x4. It has more limitations than the 2/4 door. It has less limitation than the escape. How long it can go is determined by how hard it is pushed. This will be different for every person and you're not going to find this answer cherry picking quotes. What you will find is people taking stabs bc it’s not the ultimate off-roader. Then you will have people quoting those phrases calling it a false 4x4
Excellent review. As noted, the overheating seems to be a "natural" result of over-badassing and not overheating from normal use. This is good to know. I still don't mind the interior; when chasing, the interior is often covered in dust, so the less "fancy" the better as long as it's functional with no fake wood. My Xterra has one of the most boring, simple interiors... but it's held up well over 140k miles w/o failures.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
"The hardcore Rock Crawl mode was employed only as needed; same with the rear locker. As it's not a true mechanical locking differential, the latter will overheat if you leave it on constantly and the computer will reduce engine power to cool it, but you don't need it most of the time, anyway."

Source: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/bronco-sport/2021/2021-ford-bronco-sport-first-drive-review/

I guess for me, it's really going to come down to how long it can go and how hard it can be pushed until it shuts off. I get that it's not a true 4x4, and I don't think anyone is expecting it to be one. But it'd be nice to know exactly what the limitation is, so bad situations can be avoided. Does anyone have a vehicle manual yet? I'm curious what it says about the rear locker.

I'm sure we'll know a lot more by July, when the temps have risen and people have been out there pushing them and finding those limits.
My question to you is what do you intend to do with it? The type of off-roading I do is mostly sightseeing along easier 4x4 trails, and reaching remote lakes for fishing, so I don't need something like a Jeep Wrangler. However I do need something better than the base Bronco, my Subaru wasn't cutting it. Which is why I was looking the Badlands. If you're not going to go be going on moderate/hard Jeep trails just for the sake of jeeping and going on a really long climbs of obstacles, I don't see most people overheating that rear dual clutch.

The Badlands has active cooling on its transmissions, you'll need to work really hard to overheat those. The lower trims don't have that extra cooling and will be prone to overheating when pushed to their limit.

The only vehicle more capable than the Badlands, in its class, is the Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited:

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
No, they may be working with me on the new (2021) Ridgeline. Either the Type-R or the Blacked out edition. They won't say there is a "Type-R" (and likely not) but it's my preference. The 2021 has the new front end design, that looks a lot more intimidating. It's a top pick with Car and Driver and had excellent reviews, hitting all the marks. We could also add a tactical bed and roof racks. I seriously doubt they would give us a free vehicle, as that is not what I am seeking, but they are receptive to getting us a vehicle ASAP in the the spring at a reduced "production" cost in return for promotion. The Ford Timberline Explorer is also a possibility, but Ford is delaying anything groovy right now so they don't compete with the BS / Big Bronco.
Yo! That would be so cool if you used the bed of the ridgeline by bolting in a tripod and mounting a remote-controlled cam to it! Full unobstructed view of the action while chasing!

OP
OP

robotfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My question to you is what do you intend to do with it? The type of off-roading I do is mostly sightseeing along easier 4x4 trails, and reaching remote lakes for fishing, so I don't need something like a Jeep Wrangler. However I do need something better than the base Bronco, my Subaru wasn't cutting it. Which is why I was looking the Badlands. If you're not going to go be going on moderate/hard Jeep trails just for the sake of jeeping and going on a really long climbs of obstacles, I don't see most people overheating that rear dual clutch.

The Badlands has active cooling on its transmissions, you'll need to work really hard to overheat those. The lower trims don't have that extra cooling and will be prone to overheating when pushed to their limit.

The only vehicle more capable than the Badlands, in its class, is the Cherokee Trailhawk.
I am a cinematographer that travels all over the country, often to pretty remote places and I just don't want to get stuck. My 2015 Forester obviously can't deal with it and it has stranded me twice now, overheating both times. Before I got my InReach, some of the areas I traveled to could be labeled as dangerous, not for their terrain per say, but for their sheer remoteness and environmental temperatures. I'm based out of Los Angeles but am often shooting in remote desert and mountain environments, down along the border and into Mexico. 90% of the time I wouldn't be pushing the vehicle, but there is always the chance that I might. I honestly don't go seeking out trails to rock climb. But on my way to a location, I might run into a situation where I need to get tactical for a bit.

Frankly, if I didn't live in downtown Los Angeles, I'd buy a 4Runner and call it a day. But I'd really prefer a more compact vehicle if I can manage it. I'm not crazy about Jeep reliability, so I was pretty excited for the Bronco Sport. It's really between the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Bronco Sport for me. I have been considering the 2 door Bronco, which is shorter than the Sport, but I do haul equipment with me. So I'm not sure if I can lose the storage space there.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited that manufacturers are finally remembering how much fun a compact offroader can be. My wife and I used to own a 4x4 Tracker, which was an absolute blast. We also had a 1987 Toyota Vanagon 4x4 which, although it was a van and not exactly compact, could u-turn on a dime. Amazing camping vehicle. I'm excited that manufacturers are considering more compact 4x4's once again. I hope Toyota pays attention to all this!

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I am a cinematographer that travels all over the country, often to pretty remote places and I just don't want to get stuck. My 2015 Forester obviously can't deal with it and it has stranded me twice now, overheating both times. Before I got my InReach, some of the areas I traveled to could be labeled as dangerous, not for their terrain per say, but for their sheer remoteness and environmental temperatures. I'm based out of Los Angeles but am often shooting in remote desert and mountain environments, down along the border and into Mexico. 90% of the time I wouldn't be pushing the vehicle, but there is always the chance that I might. I honestly don't go seeking out trails to rock climb. But on my way to a location, I might run into a situation where I need to get tactical for a bit.

Frankly, if I didn't live in downtown Los Angeles, I'd buy a 4Runner and call it a day. But I'd really prefer a more compact vehicle if I can manage it. I'm not crazy about Jeep reliability, so I was pretty excited for the Bronco Sport. It's really between the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Bronco Sport for me. I have been considering the 2 door Bronco, which is shorter than the Sport, but I do haul equipment with me. So I'm not sure if I can lose the storage space there.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited that manufacturers are finally remembering how much fun a compact offroader can be. My wife and I used to own a 4x4 Tracker, which was an absolute blast. We also had a 1987 Toyota Vanagon 4x4 which, although it was a van and not exactly compact, could u-turn on a dime. Amazing camping vehicle. I'm excited that manufacturers are considering more compact 4x4's once again. I hope Toyota pays attention to all this!
Yeah that's a tough one, on paper I think the Badlands is the better choice for you. It's more compact than the Trailhawk and has more storage. I think the active cooling on its transmissions should be enough for your purposes, Subarus don't have these. You don't need a full time diff lock. However, it's a first gen vehicle and we don't have any real stress testing of it.

I was also leery of Jeep because of it's reliability issues, but there's only two choices when it comes to new compact vehicles for medium duty off roading.

The Bronco is based in the Escape which has its own reliability problems.

Last edited:

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Yo! That would be so cool if you used the bed of the ridgeline by bolting in a tripod and mounting a remote-controlled cam to it! Full unobstructed view of the action while chasing!
The Ridgeline appears to be nixed on my list. It has the dreaded engine-auto-off cancer than cannot be cured. Although the "off" push button can be overridden by a third party "eliminator," the engineers at Honda decided to add a very bright, distracting yellow warning light on the dash anytime the auto-engine-stop is deactivated.

I moved the rest of this conversation over to the Storm Chasing discussion.... as not to hijack the overheating theme of this thread.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/storm-chasing-bronco-sport-interceptor.1355/

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If I wanted to bomb around in the sand or sling mud rooster tails I'd get me a dune buggy or a big V-6 or 8 truck.
Me taking my super smooth efficient nice handling SUV out for a romp is Not gonna happen.
A 1.5 L even with a Turbo in a 3,500 pound vehicle, come on guys, really ?
I'll use mine as needed to climb my steep gravel roads and for some fire road rides but I'm not gonna push or damage my BS. I'm not that wealthy, If I was I'd buy more truck.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
For the record...I usually keep a vehicle for 5+ years. I AM getting a BS. I have a list of reasons, but mostly it's that I am sick of having to visit the dealership. Maybe I got a lemon, but look at what I drive.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
So I’m planning to order a Badlands and this issue had me concerned, but I did some further research, and found it’s not unique to the BS.

For example, the main alternative I was considering was a RAV4. I did a quick Google search on “RAV4 off-road AWD overheating”. I found multiple off road tests where the AWD overheated. The first result it actually overheated while the undercarriage was submerged in a puddle! Other similar SUVs have the same issue off road.

I guess the conclusion I have come to is this. If you drive a mid size SUV (in the BS, Jeep Compass, RAV4 class) like a rally car off road, it will overheat the transmission. I’m using it as an off-road capable daily driver, and have accepted that it won’t be as capable as a Bronco or a Wrangler. I’m also happy that an extra transmission cooler has been added to the Badlands version.

Long story short. It’s not a design flaw, it’s a consciously accepted tradeoff for a vehicle with better gas mileage.I’m still gonna buy one.

OP
OP

robotfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If you drive a mid size SUV (in the BS, Jeep Compass, RAV4 class) like a rally car off road, it will overheat the transmission. I’m using it as an off-road capable daily driver, and have accepted that it won’t be as capable as a Bronco or a Wrangler. I’m also happy that an extra transmission cooler has been added to the Badlands version.

Long story short. It’s not a design flaw, it’s a consciously accepted tradeoff for a vehicle with better gas mileage. I’m still gonna buy one.
The transmission and rear drive coolers are very welcome additions. I'm really glad they added those. But in my opinion, the jury is still out whether you need to drive it like a rally car to overheat things. I want to see how it fares in 100 degree summers, out in SoCal desert, while performing basic/light duty offroading all day. And I especially want to see how it fares after it's got 50k miles on it. My 2015 Subaru has failed this test miserably. It's started overheating in hot summer temps and I do not trust the vehicle anymore. I'm not saying this is indicative of how the Bronco Sport will fare at all, and I really do expect it to be the best of these little 4 cylinder CUVs when going offroad. In fact, I really want it to be amazing, because I do want to buy one eventually. But after my experiences with my Subaru, I'm a little skeptical over how much you can push these little crossovers when the environmental temps start to creep up. I get the sense the marketing departments for these cars are over promising their capabilities quite a bit.

I do agree that this is a consciously accepted tradeoff, but when you've got Ford posting videos of the Bronco Sport tackling Moab, what are people to think when their own vehicles don't perform the way Ford has presented them?

I'm really rooting for the Bronco Sport. And I'm excited to see how it evolves over the next few years. For now, I decided to hold off on buying one for the first two generations, just to see how things fare. In the meantime, I went and picked up a used FJ while I wait.
Sponsored