Bronco Sport Overheating when Offroad?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
And in the “just too funny” column, the lux package for the big Bronco has a universal garage door opener... you know the truck that will probably be too tall to fit in in some garages. ?
At insane cost too. IMHO.

AltarBoy

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’fusion
If it becomes a consistent problem then I’ll get a diff cooler otherwise I should be just fine

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I’m planning to order a Badlands and this issue had me concerned, but I did some further research, and found it’s not unique to the BS.

For example, the main alternative I was considering was a RAV4. I did a quick Google search on “RAV4 off-road AWD overheating”. I found multiple off road tests where the AWD overheated. The first result it actually overheated while the undercarriage was submerged in a puddle! Other similar SUVs have the same issue off road.

I guess the conclusion I have come to is this. If you drive a mid size SUV (in the BS, Jeep Compass, RAV4 class) like a rally car off road, it will overheat the transmission. I’m using it as an off-road capable daily driver, and have accepted that it won’t be as capable as a Bronco or a Wrangler. I’m also happy that an extra transmission cooler has been added to the Badlands version.

Long story short. It’s not a design flaw, it’s a consciously accepted tradeoff for a vehicle with better gas mileage.I’m still gonna buy one.
There's the logic right here...Bravo!

Bernie

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester XT
I have been considering the Bronco Sport Badlands, but there’s one thing that’s been bothering me since it was released, and that is heat. Will the Bronco Sport really be able to handle it if you push it in hot weather? Or even in regular conditions? Some of the latest reviews released this week makes me think it won’t. Might be worth waiting to purchase this vehicle until more people put it through some challenging conditions.

CNET Review:
“Unfortunately, after 15 minutes of hooning around in the sand, the power transfer unit on my Bronco Sport Badlands overheats and the SUV goes into limp-home mode. I might expect this if ambient temperatures were very high, but it's a perfect 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Thankfully, the PTU cools back down quickly so I can keep on playing -- albeit a bit less aggressively.”

Source - https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/reviews/2021-ford-bronco-sport-preview/

Jalopnik Review:
“While on the trail ride in a group, the driver of an Outer Banks model attempted to ascend a hill. After just a couple of failed attempts to climb the rather modest incline, she said over the radio that her vehicle indicated Four-Wheel Drive Temporarily Disabled.”

Source - https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-sport-has-everything-it-needs-to-c-1845821988/amp
Are there any decent aftermarket coolers for this issue?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I
CNET Review:
“Unfortunately, after 15 minutes of hooning (guess that means aggressively) around in the sand, the power transfer unit on my Bronco Sport Badlands overheats and the SUV goes into limp-home mode. I might expect this if ambient temperatures were very high, but it's a perfect 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Thankfully, the PTU cools back down quickly so I can keep on playing -- albeit a bit less aggressively.”
I've followed this story since it was reported and will only speak to the Badlands report quoted above.

The lady journalist was having a great time "hooning around" in sand for 15 solid minutes and has since admitted to another journalist she was driving it like a f-n idiot. I'm assuming she kept at it that long because she was having a blast. Then to continue, after it quickly cooled down, at a lesser idiot level. There was no subsequent, public explanation of what happened offered which is sad because it will stand as an example of failure to those who don't dive any deeper.

I don't know how many of you have driven in lose sand much less driven hard for that long but I have in my Raptor. It's really had work for any car/truck. My Rap didn't stop or fail in any way but I can tell you it was HOT. The kind of hat you smell and hear. Same with my SVT (track prepped BTW) on the track, work it hard and you have to dial it back once in a while.

Comparing the Badlands to it's sister models is tangerines to oranges. Compare the sister models to other similar brands if you will and you'll find similar results. There are plenty of video reviews of Badlands getting down and dirty without this problem so I'm sticking to my plan for a 2022 BL+BL. Some few would say I'm not a f-n idiot (never saw me at the track) so I should be good.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I think this will be a normal problem for Badlands owners but happen more frequently in the lower trims because they don't have the active cooling on the AWD. All AWD systems are prone to overheating when driving hard long distances in loose terrain. It's why I switched out of a Subaru.

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
People are reading this thread and freaking out. These are isolated issues. Every manufacture has a bad part hear and there. There are so many more positive reviews than bad.

Ratherder

Badlands
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Kia Sportage
I’m sorry to say we’ve experienced this on our Badlands. We weren’t doing anything particularly technical—just driving on sand at the Assateague OSV, and not that far: probably less than 10km down, parked and stopped for a bit, then turned around. It was on the return trip with less than 3km to go,that I got the over heating warning & traction took a hit. Limped back to the entrance and everything cooled down while we aired the tires back up.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m sorry to say we’ve experienced this on our Badlands. We weren’t doing anything particularly technical—just driving on sand at the Assateague OSV, and not that far: probably less than 10km down, parked and stopped for a bit, then turned around. It was on the return trip with less than 3km to go,that I got the over heating warning & traction took a hit. Limped back to the entrance and everything cooled down while we aired the tires back up.
Sand is tuff on all vehicles.....as long as my BL doesn't overheat on the back trails and overlanding I'll be ok. I won't be doing much sand driving or rock crawling in this vehicle.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
at least you didn't need help

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Loose terrain for long distances is probably the only area you're going to have an overheating problem. It's just inherent to how all wheel drive systems work. It's not a problem specific to this vehicle. Cherokee Trailhawks have low range and some pretty heavy duty cooling on their systems and they still get this occasionally.

This type of problem is what people mean when they say all wheel drive isn't true four-wheel drive

Ratherder

Badlands
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Kia Sportage
Loose terrain for long distances is probably the only area you're going to have an overheating problem. It's just inherent to how all wheel drive systems work. It's not a problem specific to this vehicle. Cherokee Trailhawks have low range and some pretty heavy duty cooling on their systems and they still get this occasionally.

This type of problem is what people mean when they say all wheel drive isn't true four-wheel drive
ThT’s interesting. Do you know why that is? Trying to learn something new, here.
Sponsored