What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Seems unlikely in Iceland you would have heat issues on that ECU in the engine compartment. My comment was for those following your footsteps who live in warm to excessively hot climates. 🔥

Vibration of electrical components is a design concern but I would have no way to know for sure your mounting is any worse and could actually be better.

Ford would have tested along with the 450,000+ Bronco Sport owners where the ECU is mounted in the OEM position in the left front fender area.
Yeah it’s worst place ever for electricity box water , mud , snow, bumpy roads , off road, river crossing, flooding roads,

why there 🤯

Roadeo Girl

Big Bend
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BS
Just for information I have Goodyear wrangler workhorse 235/70/17 they are 30 inches exactly , they fit with about a 1/4 inch of space front of wheel and back of wheel on the front tires , I don’t think you will fit the 255/75/17 they are 31.1 inch .

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_1048

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_0819

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_0816

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_0813
What fender flare do you have?

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That is great there was enough cable length allowing you to reposition the ECU electronic box up and into the engine compartment so that the box and its 2 connectors are much safer from being submerged in water. Other owners implied the cable length was insufficient which is incorrect.

now for some not so good comments. Sorry but I was an automative engineer with GM and designed various electronic boxes so have familiarity with typical automotive connectors, ECUs and other electronic boxes as well as the environmentals..,

The engine compartment is an extreme environment, two extremes are

Heat (likely is much hotter in the engine compartment than where the OEM box was mounted around the left side front fender).

Vibration: the OEM location for the ECU positioned the ECU vertically, in your pic the ECU is mounted horizontally, and it’s not clear how securely the mounting is now relative to the left side front vendor mount. Horizontal mount will have different characteristics than vertical mount.

There are a few other potential issues as well.

Not saying at all that you will or will not have issues with the ECU relocation and you may never hit extremes that others might .. say in a desert environment where ground temp exceeds 120°F+ or in extreme cold or under high vibration conditions like off roading.

On the good side, the ECU and its 2 connectors are now far better protected from submersion.
see here i did have Volvo XC 90 today in oil change . Volvo did put the box in same position

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2100

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2099

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
see here i did have Volvo XC 90 today in oil change . Volvo did put the box in same position

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2100

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2099
I think the point of questioning putting it in the engine compartment, is not that it isn’t done. I believe that a lot of ECU’s are placed in the engine compartment by the OEM’s. Of course they have tested the electronics in that position through all vehicle testing. Since you have moved the ECU from the stock location, it is now in a hotter spot and vibrating in different directions.

That is not to say what you have done will cause a failure, just that the ECU was not tested to work in those conditions and in that position. What seems like an inconsequential change on your part, might not turn out to be so inconsequential.

Frosty

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well, actually yesterday. Had the Steeda rear sway bar installed, using their recommendation & starting with the center set of holes. Again, you might say it’s my imagination, but my butt feels just a little more firmly planted. 😂🤣
Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_0299

CodenameZeus

Big Bend
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco sport
One of the things that bugged me a bit was that Ford chose to equip my Badlands with LED lighting everywhere BUT the taillight turn signals, brake lights, and backup lights. So today I took care of that and changed out the bulbs with LEDs:

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? 20210123_103454(0)_tonemapped

For those are interested, the LED Bulb types you'll need are as follows:

Turn - 921 Amber
Brake - 3157 Red
Backup - 7443 White

Installation was a snap. Changing out the bulbs is well documented in the owner's manual but all you need is a 10mm nut driver or socket wrench. Always be careful when working the housing tabs off of the studs (you REALLY don't want to break one of those) but the whole change-out took me less than 15 minutes.

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? 20210123_102405_tonemapped

I used bulbs from Diode Dynamics (www.diodedynamics.com) as they are an American based company and the quality of their products as well as customer support are outstanding (3 year warranty, but I've had them in my Fiesta ST for nearly 6 years now without a failure). But for those on a budget there are admittedly less expensive options out there.

While it's hard to see in the daylight pic, the backup LEDs are probably the biggest improvement in the cars I've put them in, with a noticeably brighter and whiter light than stock.
Awesome I did not want to take it apart to find out the size only. Now that I see this, I'm ordering my bulbs! You should really snap a nighttime photo! Thank you kindly!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, actually yesterday. Had the Steeda rear sway bar installed, using their recommendation & starting with the center set of holes. Again, you might say it’s my imagination, but my butt feels just a little more firmly planted. 😂🤣
It appears you have the option to tighten your rear even more.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Off Topic what's the specs on the Yellow Mustang?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)