Interesting fact about the Bronco Sports LED Headlights if you didn't know already!!

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
They have little cooling fans in them!! If you want to know how i found out just ask and i'll tell you!!
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
More draw on the battery when you shut down but the LEDs are great on the road.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
They have little cooling fans in them!! If you want to know how i found out just ask and i'll tell you!!
Why don't you just post how you found out!!

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Seriously Why do they need cooling fans ? Seems like my fans are running constantly. Even when I unlock the BB 1st thing in the morning. I thought LED's gave off less heat ?

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Seriously Why do they need cooling fans ? Seems like my fans are running constantly. Even when I unlock the BB 1st thing in the morning. I thought LED's gave off less heat ?
Someone posted that the fans will run sometimes when headlights are in direct sun. Though, that is hard to believe but might be true.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Good question. LEDs are ~4x more efficient than incandescent (incl. halogen) bulbs, so by definition they should produce much less heat.

That said, I've noticed that Edison base (household) LED lamps still get very hot. We have older ones that have heavy metal heat sink at the base! The newer ones do not, but they still get very warm.

Without looking it up, my guess is that LEDs are much more sensitive to heat because of the operating range of the electronics. Even though LEDs run much cooler, it's still enough to fry the components.

Why the fans run when the BS is unlocked in the morning, IDK. That makes no sense -- unless it's some sort of check, to confirm the fans are operational before the driver heads out.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon
My fans are NOISY and run much more than I think they should.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Obviously, OP heard the fan when the car was off. It's the #1 thing people ask about after "does anyone else have brake noise?".

Be glad the LED produces heat or driving in freezing rain/ice would be no Bueno.

OP
OP

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Obviously, OP heard the fan when the car was off. It's the #1 thing people ask about after "does anyone else have brake noise?".

Be glad the LED produces heat or driving in freezing rain/ice would be no Bueno.
Yes the car was off and the hood was open after i washed it to dry the top of the fenders!!The neighbor guy across the street and my brother were looking at the engine since it's a 3 cylinder!!The neighbor felt the headlight assembly and said it's vibrating!!And with your head by the headlight assembly you could hear the faint sounds of the fans running on both sides!!It did this the entire time the hood was open!!Shut the hood and they quit running a little while after the hood was shut!!My niece googled it on her cell phone and it said they were fan cooled!!

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Keeping moisture out of the LED lamps requires sealing, which makes convection cooling problematic. The solution is cooling fans.
Every time I read one of your posts I always have the same thought; that’d be a great name for a band:
Problematic Convection Cooling

sorry, I’ll leave now
Sponsored