Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
My Bronco Sport Badlands died on April 10, 2021 in 20" of Water (probably less) near Moab, Utah. Ford's website claims 23.6". Here is my story on YouTube.

Here is a Sprinter going through the same spot 1 week later at about the same depth. However much faster than I went.

I unfortunately did not get any video while the BS BL was being dragged out by the Wrangler, so I have to go by where the mud in the wheel well got washed off. I also opened the door to get out in the middle of the water and it was right below the door on the driver's side. I measured that at 19".
It threw a bunch of errors on the dash and the parking brake would not disengage. The tow truck had a heck of a time getting it on and off the flat bed. Tic Tac Tow did a heck of a job getting me out of there though. I would recommend them.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water Wading Depth

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_084923

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_140640

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_122105
Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
It is currently at a dealer in Colorado getting looked at. I'm out $800 in towing plus another trip back to bring my mountain bike back home. I'll keep this thread updated.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
It is currently at a dealer in Colorado getting looked at. I'm out $800 in towing plus another trip back to bring my mountain bike back home. I'll keep this thread updated.
Hope they cover it under warranty. If not I hope you have comprehensive coverage,

I hope you get it back soon .

(My BS BB took damage off-road and will be out of commission for at least another month. I miss mine is a sweet ride )

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Hope they cover it under warranty. If not I hope you have comprehensive coverage,

(My BS BB took damage off-road and will be out of commission for at least another month. I miss mine is a sweet ride )

I do have comprehensive and I have contacted my insurance about it. I'm hoping that Ford will cover it all under Warranty so I don't have to file a claim.
Sorry to hear about yours being out too. I was looking forward to having a lot of fun with this ride all summer long.

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands

The dealer got back to me and confirmed it is the ECU / Main Computer. It is in the driver's side wheel well behind the fog light. This is not a great position for water fording. Apparently there is corrosion in the computer and a couple of the harnesses need to be replaced. ECU not only dies in water fording, but could also die in an Front End Collision. Design flaw?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Design flaw or not , why would you put the Brain of the Truck in that area , sounds like they didn't apply any Dielectric grease to the Connector . I'm going to have to look at mine , see if I can see it with out disassembling it . These new type connectors have an O-Ring type seal, maybe they are bad .

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I became pretty skeptical of the water fording claims when I saw where the ECU is. Sorry you had to prove my suspicion. Hope it gets sorted out as painlessly as possible. I’ll probably grease mine up real good now, though I think I’ve got some months till we see much water around here.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The dealer got back to me and confirmed it is the ECU / Main Computer. It is in the driver's side wheel well behind the fog light. This is not a great position for water fording. Apparently there is corrosion in the computer and a couple of the harnesses need to be replaced. ECU not only dies in water fording, but could also die in an Front End Collision. Design flaw?

Here is a pic I took with my bumper removed. The ECU is just sitting right there in front of the driver side wheel asking to be trouble. I still haven't reinstalled my bumper completely so I'll go out in the morning and measure where the ECU rests to give us a more accurate fording level with its current placement. And I am going to look into the process of relocating to a higher position.
Thanks for your post and sorry bout your rig :/

Last edited:

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
And then theres videos like this of people waterfording sucessfully in pretty deep stuff... I wonder if there were production issues on some sports to keep that stuff dry. Regardless, that sucks, good luck, i hope they cover that for you

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So sorry you're experiencing these issues. I read your thread hoping you had not hydro locked the engine (happened to me several years ago in a Dodge Charger - the engine had to be replaced).
It would be nice if Ford would issue a TSB to waterproof the connections on the ECU.

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands

Here is a pic I took with my bumper removed. The ECU is just sitting right there in front of the driver side wheel asking to be trouble. I still haven't reinstalled my bumper completely so I'll go out in the morning and measure where the ECU rests to give us a more accurate fording level with its current placement. And I am going to look into the process of relocating to a higher position.
Thanks for your post and sorry bout your rig :/
Yeah I'd like to know how high that is. Also what kind of sealing they did on it. Judging from the other videos the factory must have messed up on the production. Please let me know when you take that measurement.

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah I'd like to know how high that is. Also what kind of sealing they did on it. Judging from the other videos the factory must have messed up on the production. Please let me know when you take that measurement.
I'll go do it right now good sir.
Sponsored