Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I would suspect we are going to see a 4x4 hybrid / electric vehicle war of sorts starting... now -- as people want to "get the he_ _ out after COVID, mirrored by possible scary gas prices over the next 4 years. The 4x4 hybrid / electric vehicle race is on.

GMC sold out of their $100k EV Hummers almost overnight -- with deliveries of 2022+! You cannot find a Rav4 Prime XSE anywhere in the US without a $10k to $20k dealer mark-up. The first company to produce a great looking, 300+ HP (0-60 < 7 seconds), 10"+ ground clearance, 4x4 or all wheel drive, reasonable sized, 500 miles+ EV or hybrid combination range for under $50k will sell them as fast as they can make them. The problem right now is no single vehicle combines what everyone wants, or at least has options to create such a vehicle.

Nissan would fix their financial issues overnight if they re-designed the Xterra to be "this" vehicle. (Feel free to call me....lol). Or Ford could design an "Explorer Raptor Hybrid" and I'll buy it tomorrow!

Edit: Explorer Raptor concept: NICE!!!

https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/we-render-the-ford-explorer-raptor-thats-ready-to-rip-up-some-trails/
I hope the Bronco Sport will come with a PHEV version based on the Lincoln Corsair. 266 hp total, so it should be competitive with the RAV4 Prime and should be <7 seconds to 60.

All the 4WD PHEVs in this class have the rear wheels driven by electricity only, I assume for cost savings. In the RAV4, these rear motors are weak and correspondingly the front motors are powerful (easy to spin). Not ideal. The Corsair's rear motors are considerably more powerful than the RAV4 making the front/rear power more balanced, and more useful off road

The other issue with all electric in the rear is that the rear motors can run out of power after the relatively large PHEV battery is extinguished (down to regular hybrid battery level). This means you loose 4WD capabioity and is exactly what happened to the Mitsubishi PHEV in the Rebelle Rally. Ford will probably have to work on a battery conservation mode that will be specifically for maintaining 4WD as long as possible on "off-raod" vehicle such as the Bronco Sport.
Sponsored

MedicineMan4040

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 1997 Hardbody pickup, Sonic sedan
I'm considering a Badlands version of the BroncoS. Just until several days ago I was intent on purchasing a new Jeep Willys and then I saw a Bronco Sport and really liked the looks. First thing I did was look at the 4w drive system and the ground clearance.
I live in a land of much snow and ice for 3.5 months out of the year. The Willys is blessed with an inch more clearance and easier to add larger tires but it is a Jeep and we all know the reliability of them ;) Of course a 1st year release Bronco might not be better, hoping not.
Regardless, if I add a Bronco Sport what is the largest (tallest) tire I can add until Ford decides whether they'll do an official 1 inch lift?
I don't necessarily need width...lots of advantages in snow with a narrower tire...but even an inch in height can pay dividends.
Thanks for any clues and just maybe soon I'll be a Sport owner.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I'm considering a Badlands version of the BroncoS. Just until several days ago I was intent on purchasing a new Jeep Willys and then I saw a Bronco Sport and really liked the looks. First thing I did was look at the 4w drive system and the ground clearance.
I live in a land of much snow and ice for 3.5 months out of the year. The Willys is blessed with an inch more clearance and easier to add larger tires but it is a Jeep and we all know the reliability of them ;) Of course a 1st year release Bronco might not be better, hoping not.
Regardless, if I add a Bronco Sport what is the largest (tallest) tire I can add until Ford decides whether they'll do an official 1 inch lift?
I don't necessarily need width...lots of advantages in snow with a narrower tire...but even an inch in height can pay dividends.
Thanks for any clues and just maybe soon I'll be a Sport owner.
I think it's been noted in other discussions that Ford is not planning on any dealer lifts.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
In the Car and Driver review, they said you could go to 30.5 inch tires without any clearance problems: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34886203/2021-ford-bronco-sport-badlands-drive/

I think that if I get a Bronco Sport, that's the way I'd do it.
I am assuming that to be the 245/70R17s. Lets talk tire width. The BL comes with 225 or 235 and I am considering the 245's also. That's 8.9" and 9.3" and with 245's, 9.6 inches. With the 245's do we need the fender flares?

MedicineMan4040

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 1997 Hardbody pickup, Sonic sedan
So please tell me, with the 245/70R17s what is the ground clearance on the Badlands.
Good news, it is available in the Blizzak DM-V2, the Wildpeak everyone already knows about.
I'd put the Blizzaks on econo steel rims and change out first of Dec. through first of April back to the Wildpeaks.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
So please tell me, with the 245/70R17s what is the ground clearance on the Badlands.
Good news, it is available in the Blizzak DM-V2, the Wildpeak everyone already knows about.
I'd put the Blizzaks on econo steel rims and change out first of Dec. through first of April back to the Wildpeaks.
According to tiresize.com 235/65R17 have a diameter of 29" and 245/70R17 are 30.5". 8.8" + 1.5"/2 ~= 9.5". Any more accuracy is worthless as it depends on tire wear.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
I would really like to know if the Car and Driver report of 30.5" diameter tires fitting is accurate or it's out there because Ford created some prototypes that supposedly had a aftermarket 1" lift kit. As I understand it the badlands version has a 1" lift from the factory. I am thinking the press and Ford PR are not on the same page and you have one or the other. I also wonder if the 245/70R17's can turn from stop to stop without rubbing anywhere. I have the same question on 235/70R17s. So far the only Bronco sport badlands I have seen information on that I know truly has a 1" lift kit is the aftermarket SEMA version.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I would really like to know if the Car and Driver report of 30.5" diameter tires fitting is accurate or it's out there because Ford created some prototypes that supposedly had a aftermarket 1" lift kit. As I understand it the badlands version has a 1" lift from the factory. I am thinking the press and Ford PR are not on the same page and you have one or the other. I also wonder if the 245/70R17's can turn from stop to stop without rubbing anywhere. I have the same question on 235/70R17s. So far the only Bronco sport badlands I have seen information on that I know truly has a 1" lift kit is the aftermarket SEMA version.
Here are a couple of other threads that have discussed the larger tires, the key item to keep in mind are the words of wisdom from the only guy that has done a lift so far.

The tires on those marketing vehicles you see and mention on OE wheels will rub period.
These threads have the marketing vehicles:
Introducing the Bronco Sport Off-Roadeo Adventure Patrol Concept
Introducing the Bronco Sport Badlands Trail Rig Concept

This thread discusses the the marketing vehicles and tire sizes, before @MAD Industries posted:
Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift

Here is a great resource for searching for tire sizes:
https://tiresize.com/

MAD Industries

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First 2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hello All,

This is what you need to follow for proper clearance based on our set up only.

Specs on our vehicle Bronco Sport, Badlands.

We installed 4 Wheel parts 1" lift / level that raises the front and to the rear so remember they call it a lift / level but we also gained additional clearance in the rear that was needed to clear tires. Also note we removed the rear deflector on the rear wheel well that is mounted on the lower front side that would not have cleared the tire we used. FYI

We test fitted 3 tire sizes on 17" x 8" Wheels with a +35 offset the only tire that had clearance to our standards, i.e. clearance to drive the vehicle with proper clearance are 245/65R17 we used BFG KO2s we did not test fit any other brands or model of BFG remember KO2 and KO3 have very square shoulders on the tire that can tend to rub on a tight fitment. We had absolutely no rubbing on our selected tire size and we tested it on all type of off-road terrain.

Other tire manufacture that have a rounded shoulder such as Nitto Ridge Grappler that we have used on many vehicles provide additional clearance at the critical point in the turn radius this tire may clear in 30" or 30.5" OD but any tire over a 30.5 will rub on this set up period. You will need to test fit this tire on this set up to determine if 30" or 30.5" will fit.

KO2 Specs on the size we used.

SIZE
UTQG
Tire Weight​
LT245/65R17
111/108S

D

None​
2,405 lbs​
65 psi​
13/32"​
44 lbs​
7-8"​
7"​
9.8"​
8"​
29.5"​
704​

Good photo below driving rock terrain shows just how much movement in suspension.

Ford Bronco Sport Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift MAD BS in action

Ford Bronco Sport Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift _UL_5310

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Hello All,

This is what you need to follow for proper clearance based on our set up only.

Specs on our vehicle Bronco Sport, Badlands.

We installed 4 Wheel parts 1" lift / level that raises the front and to the rear so remember they call it a lift / level but we also gained additional clearance in the rear that was needed to clear tires. Also note we removed the rear deflector on the rear wheel well that is mounted on the lower front side that would not have cleared the tire we used. FYI

We test fitted 3 tire sizes on 17" x 8" Wheels with a +35 offset the only tire that had clearance to our standards, i.e. clearance to drive the vehicle with proper clearance are 245/65R17 we used BFG KO2s we did not test fit any other brands or model of BFG remember KO2 and KO3 have very square shoulders on the tire that can tend to rub on a tight fitment. We had absolutely no rubbing on our selected tire size and we tested it on all type of off-road terrain.

Other tire manufacture that have a rounded shoulder such as Nitto Ridge Grappler that we have used on many vehicles provide additional clearance at the critical point in the turn radius this tire may clear in 30" or 30.5" OD but any tire over a 30.5 will rub on this set up period. You will need to test fit this tire on this set up to determine if 30" or 30.5" will fit.

KO2 Specs on the size we used.

SIZE
UTQG
Tire Weight​
LT245/65R17
111/108S

D

None​
2,405 lbs​
65 psi​
13/32"​
44 lbs​
7-8"​
7"​
9.8"​
8"​
29.5"​
704​

Good photo below driving rock terrain shows just how much movement in suspension.

Ford Bronco Sport Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift MAD BS in action

Ford Bronco Sport Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift _UL_5310
What is the offset on two OE wheels available on the Badlands?

nathankuk

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
The 31" actual size is 30.5" so we only need and extra 1/2" per side to fit.

If not , we could carry it with low air pressure along with an air compressor.
can I ask if you tried this and got a good fit, including with the cargo area flooring on top ? I'm looking to order a a Bronco Sport, and ability to run larger tires and spare is a key factor for me. Having a lifted Forester currently, it's a p.i.t.a./expensive to have an aftermarket solution to carry a full size spare.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Tire Options for Bronco Sport with 1" Lift AC60B025-6EA0-4593-9997-EF2CD4C2209F

it appears the wheel storage only fits the 29.5”. Might need to modify box to make it fit. Need another 1.5” to clear.
That spare is the Pirelli Scorpion 225/65-R17 or, a 28.5" tire that appears to JUST fit within the styrofoam form there, but that can be removed. I'd think going wider, you might bump UP against the cargo floor though? The optional tire on a Badlands is a 29" 235/65-R17, but even then you get this same, smaller "full-size" spare. Temporary spare - emergency use only, right? One thing to note, the Trail Rig Concept is a Badlands that is ALREADY 1" taller than the other trims (it has different shocks/struts, springs, hydraulic bumper stops, etc. standard on the Badlands), and has an aftermarket ADDITIONAL 1" lift kit installed in order to fit those actually 30.5" 245/70-R17 tires.

All of that is enough for me -- I figure that gets you up to 10.8" total ground clearance vs. the 7.8" on the other trims (or the 8.8" on the unmodified Badlands with the optional larger tires). At least we have proof it can be done, but what is the kit the Ford folks used? Assuming they "endorse" it as correct and safe?
Sponsored