Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic?

Will you continue to use synthetic blend?

• Total voters

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I do my own oil changes and purchasing full synthetic when it's on sale makes for an economical oil change along with assurance that I've got good oil in the engine. I'm sure the mix is fine and even non-synthetic would probably be fine, but I figure synthetic is probably better for today's engines.
Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
The filter takes care of this, it's a non issue.
Maybe to you and I respect that. But If my after filter drain oil looks like a snow globe after the first 500 miles its worth the 39 dollar oil change , to me anyways. If I can see it the flakes, that's too big. Every new engine Ive has had the same issue so I've just got used to doing that I guess.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Super tech full synth. I have been using for years with no regrets. I plan to continue with my bronco sport.

The next subjective question is, which weight?

5w-20 that Ford has spec'ed for years, or. 0w20?
Upstate NY gets neg 20F, But very infrequently.

Ford Bronco Sport Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic? Screenshot_20210404-222834_Adobe Acrobat

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I change oil/Filter ( full Syn. )every year no matter how many miles on the engine or where it has been driven & my last trade in for my F250 SD was a 14 year old F150 with 160 K on it & it ran like brand new when traded in . The 2011 Mustang we traded on the BS also ran like brand new & looked it with over 100K . May be over kill & can get more miles from the oil , but I look at it like the oil is the life blood of an engine, cleaner is better .

There are many videos of Oil testing & show full Syn. is a much better lubricant .

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
There are many videos of Oil testing & show full Syn. is a much better lubricant .
I would typically say yes to this in general. The only caveat to the 1.5L is the wet timing belt.
Since oil has traditionally been the enemy to automotive belts, I would be concerned that the best chemistry for the health of the 1.5's timing belt should be a top consideration. Whether that is full synthetic or a blend I don't know.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I know this deviates just a touch ...my dad was a major gear head many moons ago. And my grandfather took care of his car while he was in vietnam. Specific instructions Pennzoil ONLY. And I vividly recall my grandfather say after looking at his motor he never used anything but Pennzoil after that. Said the engine was immaculate.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone done an oil change themselves on a BS yet to provide any context on ease? Especially curious about badlands, if the bash plates have to be removed.
I saw a set of pics and description on this -- yes, completely remove the under-engine panel (MANY fasteners), the whole job takes about 45 mins DIY.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I understand a quality full-synthetic will last a long, long time before breaking down -- but it will be filthy with contaminants. I'm thinking the recommended Ford blend at the shorter intervals I'm planning (3,000-4,000 miles? will have to see how dirty it gets) will be just fine. Would be changes 3x-4x a year. Cheap if I make the effort (and take the 45 mins. or so) to do it myself.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I would typically say yes to this in general. The only caveat to the 1.5L is the wet timing belt.
Since oil has traditionally been the enemy to automotive belts, I would be concerned that the best chemistry for the health of the 1.5's timing belt should be a top consideration. Whether that is full synthetic or a blend I don't know.
I would like to assume FORD thought of oil on the Belt & designed the Belt for it . I don't think full or Blend would make much of a difference .

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I would like to assume FORD thought of oil on the Belt & designed the Belt for it . I don't think full or Blend would make much of a difference .
I have to dig up my pictures of a failed 1.5 belt that I have from a claim. It wasn't pretty

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Iā€™ve been good with my various 4 Fords since 2005 (ā€˜05 Freestar van, ā€˜07 Fusion, ā€˜17 Escape and ā€˜19 Ranger) bringing to my dealer(s) for their bi-annual check-ups.

Iā€™m a firm believer of 6 months and/or 5,000 miles (I do at 8k in kilometres). The timing with both vehicles (17 and 19) works out perfect for both. Usually under the mileage but thatā€™s fine with me.

Time is also a factor whether itā€™s driven the miles or not. Iā€™m sure newer blends can help but why not get ā€˜er done.

For those of us who change over to snow/winter tires the timing (6 months) also works out well for the most part when itā€™s Spring/Fall servicing time.

Edit to add: I go with what the dealer puts in, and I assume itā€™s still the blend.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That would possibly be a risky assumption. Ford tried the wet timing belt previously in Europe ('08-'09) and had many failures before retreating back to chains. Whether or not they feel this issue is no longer problematic is questionable.
The fact that Ford recommends the blend rather than full synthetic for a turbo motor is why I wondered about the chemistry affecting the belt.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ordering, Pricing, Production, Tracking 16