Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic?

Will you continue to use synthetic blend?

• Total voters

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If I understand your question, you are asking if a full-synthetic is better for the engine than a synthetic blend. If you follow the recommended change interval I don't think it matters.

Engine oil has many duties, but the two most important are lubrication and keeping debris and corrosive contaminants away from critical engine parts. I've already discussed lubricity; according to the lab experts any oil you use that meets manufacturer specs will provide satisfactory lubricity.

Over time, use and heat will cause oil to break down, which is another way to say it will lose lubricity. Heat is one of the things the intelligent oil-life monitor, er, monitors to determine the change interval. Since full synthetic is less affected by heat you could almost certainly use it longer than semi-synthetic without worrying about lubricity. But heat-related loss of lubricity is not the only reason for changing the oil.

Engine oil also sweeps harmful debris out of the engine by carrying it to the filter, where it's captured and held until the next change. Likewise, corrosive contaminants such as combustion byproducts are held in suspension in the oil until the next change, and then drained out with the oil. If the oil gets too contaminated then lubricity begins to suffer. Oil contamination is also part of the equation when the oil-life monitor computes the change interval.

All of this is to say as long as you use an oil that meets the spec and change it as recommended you should be golden. Using a better (full synthetic) oil and changing it more often will neither help nor harm your engine.

My advice is if you're at all concerned with environmental considerations stick with the recommended change interval. Using less oil is a good thing for the environment, and Ford spent billions in research to set a change interval that's safe for the engine.
No I wasn't asking a question about it
was pointing out that's very scientific verbage 'molecular level.'

It's hard an interesting dilemma to get people's feedback pertaining to the molecular level of things ?

Thats all.

Wasn't asking how oil works thanks though I'm so sure someone will appreciate that
Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Disclaimer I am not a mechanic and just following this conversation.

Can you please offer some feedback on how some vehicles have what is it called a deep oil reservoir? Something like that and do not need oil to be changed up to 10,000 miles. I agree about what you were saying about the intervals of how long and what type of driving is being done on the vehicle.

Have seen other vehicles maintenance manual saying oil changes at 10,000 Mi interval I understand would be less if there was Heavy taxing on the engine like Towing. From this would you agree that for some Vehicles they would not need to have their oil changed until 10,000 Mi? Is that still in consideration of your gasoline diluting the oil concern? Thank you very much for your detailed posts they have been helpful and knowledgeable.
The biggest issue with longer oil changes over 5,000-7,500 mi on direct injection engines regardless of the oil type (syn, semi syn) is that fuel dilution. Some types of driving are better than others to control the amount of dilution in the oil. The longer trips, longer amount of time at operating temp the less fuel at oil change time, generally. To answer your question, yes there are some vehicles with the synthetic oil and synthetic filters that are fine with 10k mile oil changes. However in this case, fuel dilution is the common denominator and no matter your drive style and oil type, dilution at some degree will happen. Fuel dilution is definitely a factor that would prevent me from going past 5,000 miles. At that point you may have plenty of life left in the oil with respect to wear additives and detergents BUT the oil gets thinned down to the point to where it is no longer the viscosity the engine requires. Hope that helps.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just thought it was funny they said you don't need to spend more for full synthetic because Ford has done all the research to prove a synthetic blend is sufficient, yet you should change the oil more often than recommended. Ford spent billions on research, but they couldn't get the oil-life monitor right? I just found that funny.
By the way I think you miss quoted who said what in this thread because I never commented about spending more or less money. Just FYI.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The biggest issue with longer oil changes over 5,000-7,500 mi on direct injection engines regardless of the oil type (syn, semi syn) is that fuel dilution. Some types of driving are better than others to control the amount of dilution in the oil. The longer trips, longer amount of time at operating temp the less fuel at oil change time, generally. To answer your question, yes there are some vehicles with the synthetic oil and synthetic filters that are fine with 10k mile oil changes. However in this case, fuel dilution is the common denominator and no matter your drive style and oil type, dilution at some degree will happen. Fuel dilution is definitely a factor that would prevent me from going past 5,000 miles. At that point you may have plenty of life left in the oil with respect to wear additives and detergents BUT the oil gets thinned down to the point to where it is no longer the viscosity the engine requires. Hope that helps.
Thanku!

And because of this
Dilution
it appears it does not matter if you drive with synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanku!

And because of this
Dilution
it appears it does not matter if you drive with synthetic blend or full synthetic correct?
Not really, with respect to oil dilution alone. Of course full synthetics do have their own benefits that I like to use it for but as far as dilution goes blend and full syn are equally affected.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not really, with respect to oil dilution alone. Of course full synthetics do have their own benefits that I like to use it for but as far as dilution goes blend and full syn are equally affected.
Thanku.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
By the way I think you miss quoted who said what in this thread because I never commented about spending more or less money. Just FYI.
It wasn't you who said it. 96MysticSVT1031 is the "they" I was referring to in my reply to you.

Putting fully synthetic oil in a car that doesn’t require it is just like putting premium or super unleaded gas in a car or truck that was built to run on regular unleaded. It is a WASTE of your hard earned money.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
Are those people changing their oil at 5,000 Miles because of heavy duty use of their vehicle towing, extreme temperatures?
I change my oil at every 5000 miles because a do-it-yourself oil change doesn't cost much and I figure my engine won't be hurt by fresh clean full synthetic oil twice as often as it might need it. Additionally, it gets me under the vehicle where I can inspect the vehicle for any other issues that might need some attention.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I change my oil at every 5000 miles because a do-it-yourself oil change doesn't cost much and I figure my engine won't be hurt by fresh clean full synthetic oil twice as often as it might need it. Additionally, it gets me under the vehicle where I can inspect the vehicle for any other issues that might need some attention.
Have always been a change my oil 5,000 Mi interval person myself. However new technologies and maintenance manual says oil can last up to 10,000 miles. Plus it has its own analysis to read the oil to tell when it should be changed pending driving habits. That was why I was posing that question things have changed and Technologies of oils and engines, why would someone just immediately change it at 5000 when it could last till 10,000?

I am saying considering that it may not be as necessary to change at 5000. But I get it for some people may be old habits die hard?

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Big Bend 6800 miles and I just did my second oil change last week. I'll stick with Fords recommended filter and synthetic blend, and change every 3k-4k.

I ran a synthetic blend in my Mitsu Lancer for 250k and it's still running strong.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I am saying considering that it may not be as necessary to change at 5000. But I get it for some people may be old habits die hard?
When I was a teenager we were told to change the oil every 10-12K miles or once a year, whichever came first. Then change intervals crept down until they were as low as "change your oil every 3K miles". Lately the intervals have been moving back up.

I have no trouble believing that oil and filter can serve it's purpose for 10K and maybe even beyond. Machining is so much more precise today than it was decades ago. Oil is so much improved since days of old. Still, I'll change mine at 5K intervals and the small extra cost won't bother. If the only benefit is me feeling like I'm taking good care of my vehicles, then it's worth the cost.

That said, I trust that for those who wait until their oil minder tells them it's time to change the oil, they'll have no problems with those longer intervals.

I recently purchased a pressure washer. It came with oil in it and the instructions say it never needs changing. I'll admit I'm having a hard time believing that, but we'll see...

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The biggest issue with longer oil changes over 5,000-7,500 mi on direct injection engines regardless of the oil type (syn, semi syn) is that fuel dilution.
Direct injection engines have been around for more than a decade; their operating characteristics are no longer a mystery. It's illogical to assume Ford did not account for all contaminants--including unburnt fuel--when programming the oil-life monitoring system.

One thing I will say: Each engine is unique. Some produce more contaminants than others for a variety of reasons, such as high mileage or modifications. For example, if you modify your engine by installing a tune--a software change to gain more horsepower--then you will almost certainly get more contaminants in your oil than a stock engine. If your engine is stock, however, I believe it's safe to assume that Ford programmed the oil-life monitor system conservatively, meaning it should keep you safe even if your engine is one that produces more than average contamination.

If you have reason to suspect your oil is contaminated--including unburnt fuel--beyond that anticipated by the oil monitoring system you should consider taking an oil sample at the end of your oil's service life for analysis. This is really the only way to know if you have a valid concern.

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not to really school you so much but to add more to your knowledge. Just like you were talking about the synthetic blend being used because it's cheap and sounds good 'Synthetic' oil takes the same kind of hostages with IT'S marketing as well. There was a court case in 1997 ( Castrol vs Mobil ) it came down to what is a synthetic oil. Synthetic oil sold today have base stocks, these base stocks are the base oil the final product is largely based on with the only exceptions being the additive packages and such. These oils consist of Groups I,II,III all of which are Roach/Dino oil with III being the most popular in all the brands of "FULL SYNTHETIC", and very few are type IV and V ( THE ACTUAL ( man made) SYNTHETIC base) . Most oils marketed as synthetic in the USA are Dino oil that is refined and hydrocracked in a lab which makes the oils molecules uniform; with only a fraction of synthetics being a man made group IV,V synthetic that are man engineered that way from the get go. All of them work great in tests, the Group IV and V generally -but not always- test better. That all being said, Castrol used hydrocracked dino oil, Mobil used group IV actual synthetic base. Mobil got mad that castrol was marketing their refined Dino oil as a "synthetic". Mobil was marketing their oil as synthetic as well. Castol won, and now only in the USA do we have the majority of Full synthetic oils that are really mostly dino oil and some synthetic, synthetics.

That's not to say that they are bad. I use Synthetic too usually but that shouldn't steer someone else away from using semi synthetics EVEN if they want to get super high mileage out of their engine. The key is interval. I don't like running anything direct injected and turbo any longer than 5-6k on an oil change because of Fuel dilution in the oil . Over the time of 15K miles, you can get as much as 3-5% fuel in your motor oil . If you went to the Ford dealer, got the Works oil change, tire rotation etc.. it comes with Motorcraft Synthetic blend for around 39.95. If you wanted to get that same service but with a Motorcraft Synthetic (which is Hydrocracked Group III dino oil btw) It will set you back almost 90.00. Assuming you care about fuel diloution, you could run them at the same 5,000 mile intervial and come out fiscally in better shape and your engine wouldn't necessarily know the difference.
THATS WHY I USE BLEND. INTERVALS IS WHAT MAKES LONG LAST.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
@Timsvtgen1 thanks for all of the detailed info. My wife’s Sport will only be seeing about 6k miles a year, probably considered “rough service” maintenance wise so I’ll be looking at 2 oil changes a year. In this instance, what’s your preference on full synthetic vs blend?
Blend. The total vehicle will wear out and many expensive systems will fail long before the engine gives up.
20 years old, 120,000 miles the thing will be falling apart.
like my 2004 AWD Escape that’s now only a FWD because Ford No longer makes many parts for it. Like the rotary blade coupler that makes it AWD.
It has 215,000 miles, the A/C is still ice cold but I got a hole in the floor board and some rusty bits. I’m holding the muffler and tail pipe on with an old Harley truck, Bailing wire.
It’s a real POS but the engine runs fine. The drive line will detonate first.
I got my moneys worth.
I change the oil every fall and again in the spring.
It gets about 4,000-5,000 miles a year now.
$39.95 service at Ford.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ordering, Pricing, Production, Tracking 16