Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic?

Will you continue to use synthetic blend?

• Total voters

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Full synthetic, synthetic blend, or full conventional oil (which does not come from dinosaurs, but is largely made up of decomposed plant material) really doesn't matter in regards to how long the engine will last. The only difference is lifespan of the oil. Conventional oil should be changed between 3-5K depending on the additive package/type of driving/driving conditions/additive package. Data from a 20 year old study is no longer relevant as the oil technology for even conventional oil has changed dramatically over the years. Synthetic blend and full synthetic can last much longer, again depending on use, conditions, and again additive packages. The only way to know for sure what your typical oil change interval is to get the oil analyzed by a reputable lab.

I personally live in an "extreme" environment. Winter temperatures reach -20* F (actual temp, not windchill which is a ridiculous number) in the winter. Because of that, I change twice a year regardless of mileage and run full synthetic. Summer I run 5wX depending on the needs of the car (my Acura uses 5w20, our Edge used 5w30, my Thunderbird uses 5w30, I believe the B.S. uses 5w20) and in the winter I change them to 0wX oils (except the Thunderbird, which doesn't get winter use). Based on personal experience, I've never had cold cranking issues running 0w oils in the winter. A side by side comparison with one of my former cars (2002 Crown Vic, 4.6V8) running 0w30 in the winter vs the work vehicle I had at the time, a 2007 Caravan panel van that my employer only put conventional 5w30 in, the Crown Vic started first crank every time, even below -20F, while the Caravan would literally scream until the oil started to flow.

I will run full synthetic in everything I own just for the better flow on cold startup alone. If you live in a more temperate environment, conventional oil works fine, and there's nothing wrong with it. If you want to run synth blend, fine, nothing wrong with it, and of course, nothing wrong with full synthetic.
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I got two Blackstone test kits for my BS & my SD today , the F250 has 48K & the BS has a little over 2K & when the recall Cat. comes in it will have an oil change , by me or the Dealer & I will get an sample , I also want to look inside the Oil Filter & will one way or the other .
Ford Bronco Sport Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic? tempImage2MTRvD

MAJB Retired

Big Bend
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 King Ranch, Jeep Renegade, Bronco Sport
I'll be using synthetic blend, as I got fee oil changes at the dealer as part of the purchase. Five oil changes with in the first two years or 25000 miles. It's the wifes car so we won't be butting many miles per year, so i'll probably get the oil changes at the 3000-4000 range.

96MysticSVT1031

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey guys! FWIW Ford spends billions engineering their vehicles. I plan on sticking with the synthetic blend 5/20 motorcraft oil. It’s what the manufacturer recommends and you really can’t go wrong playing by the book until there is a TSB stating that a different fluid type is required.
I’ve owned many cars. Some that have required fully synthetic oil. They got….. You guessed it… Fully synthetic oil. Putting fully synthetic oil in a car that doesn’t require it is just like putting premium or super unleaded gas in a car or truck that was built to run on regular unleaded. It is a WASTE of your hard earned money. I do not care how it breaks down to molecular psychobabble.
Happy Sunday!

oh I will say, the oil change alert systems on cars have been proven to lag. It won’t hurt to change your oil every 3-4000 miles. If it looks clean after that point, I’d use your best judgment.
Just some expirenced advice from a mechanic/auto enthusiast

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use Synthetic too usually but that shouldn't steer someone else away from using semi synthetics EVEN if they want to get super high mileage out of their engine. The key is interval. I don't like running anything direct injected and turbo any longer than 5-6k on an oil change because of Fuel dilution in the oil . Over the time of 15K miles, you can get as much as 3-5% fuel in your motor oil . If you went to the Ford dealer, got the Works oil change, tire rotation etc.. it comes with Motorcraft Synthetic blend for around 39.95. If you wanted to get that same service but with a Motorcraft Synthetic (which is Hydrocracked Group III dino oil btw) It will set you back almost 90.00. Assuming you care about fuel diloution, you could run them at the same 5,000 mile intervial and come out fiscally in better shape and your engine wouldn't necessarily know the difference.
Disclaimer I am not a mechanic and just following this conversation.

Can you please offer some feedback on how some vehicles have what is it called a deep oil reservoir? Something like that and do not need oil to be changed up to 10,000 miles. I agree about what you were saying about the intervals of how long and what type of driving is being done on the vehicle.

Have seen other vehicles maintenance manual saying oil changes at 10,000 Mi interval I understand would be less if there was Heavy taxing on the engine like Towing. From this would you agree that for some Vehicles they would not need to have their oil changed until 10,000 Mi? Is that still in consideration of your gasoline diluting the oil concern? Thank you very much for your detailed posts they have been helpful and knowledgeable.

Last edited:

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey guys! FWIW Ford spends billions engineering their vehicles. I plan on sticking with the synthetic blend 5/20 motorcraft oil. It’s what the manufacturer recommends and you really can’t go wrong playing by the book until there is a TSB stating that a different fluid type is required.
Agree.

Do appreciate the other insight being offered in this conversation.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
VS

It won’t hurt to change your oil every 3-4000 miles.
Follow manufacturer recommendations, but...don't follow manufacturer recommendations? :p If the additional cost of more frequent changes won't hurt, then using synthetic won't hurt either, right? Especially since you can get a 5qt jug of full synthetic oil at Wally-world for less than the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I know some people think "cheap" Walmart oil is not as good as more expensive branded oils, but that's because they don't know there are only a few oil wholesalers that supply the retailers. The last time I checked, Super Tech was getting its oil from Warren. In the past it's come from Citgo. Motorcraft gets its oil from Vesco, which is the bulk supplier for a number of different brands.

Further, lab testing has shown time and again that when it comes to lubricity--a motor oil's primary job--there is no significant difference between brands when comparing oils of the same type and grade.

If you use an oil that meets the manufacturer's specs, and change it according to the recommended schedule you'll be fine. If you want to go "above and beyond" just to get that warm and fuzzy feeling you can do that too, and you don't have to break the bank.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
VS

Follow manufacturer recommendations, but...don't follow manufacturer recommendations? :p If the additional cost of more frequent changes won't hurt, then using synthetic won't hurt either, right? Especially since you can get a 5qt jug of full synthetic oil at Wally-world for less than the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I know some people think "cheap" Walmart oil is not as good as more expensive branded oils, but that's because they don't know there are only a few oil wholesalers that supply the retailers. The last time I checked, Super Tech was getting its oil from Warren. In the past it's come from Citgo. Motorcraft gets its oil from Vesco, which is the bulk supplier for a number of different brands.

Further, lab testing has shown time and again that when it comes to lubricity--a motor oil's primary job--there is no significant difference between brands when comparing oils of the same type and grade.

If you use an oil that meets the manufacturer's specs, and change it according to the recommended schedule you'll be fine. If you want to go "above and beyond" just to get that warm and fuzzy feeling you can do that too, and you don't have to break the bank.
Think that's what @mystics was saying.?‍♀
Go by the book.
Changing the oil is what matters

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think that's what @mystics was saying.?‍♀
Go by the book.
Changing the oil is what matters
I just thought it was funny they said you don't need to spend more for full synthetic because Ford has done all the research to prove a synthetic blend is sufficient, yet you should change the oil more often than recommended. Ford spent billions on research, but they couldn't get the oil-life monitor right? I just found that funny.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just thought it was funny they said don't need to spend more for full synthetic because Ford has done all the research to prove a synthetic blend is sufficient, yet you should change the oil more often than recommended. Ford spent billions on research, but they couldn't get the oil-life monitor right? I just found that funny.
Yeah understand that!

I think it's an interesting Dilemma to ask which at a molecular level is better for the engine. ?!?
That's pretty scientific.

What I got from the discussion is both are broken down to the same size particles.

However do think there is a difference in how oil holds up.
in either extreme heat long-term or cold weather.
And under greater load in the engine.

Some maintenance manuals say 10000 oil change interval.

There is a reason to that. And that is what I would like to know in comparison.

In every car previous have done oil changes at 5,000 Mi interval. But that may no longer be necessary with newer engines and synthetic blend. Remind me again what the interval is on the Bronco sport in the manual?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
How about the life of a filter? How many miles can a filter withstand?

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Check pages 394-395. Your car is equipped with an "intelligent oil-life monitor." It computes the change interval based on your driving conditions. It can be "up to 10,000 miles."

Here's more information about how the system works.
That clearly reminded me thank you. That is why I was asking about people still changing their oil at 5000 miles?

Are those people changing their oil at 5,000 Miles because of heavy duty use of their vehicle towing, extreme temperatures?

And I'm asking to the person who is speaking of diluted gasoline in engine oil over miles about the significance of 10,000 mile oil changes.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's an interesting Dilemma to ask which at a molecular level is better for the engine. ?!?
That's pretty scientific.
If I understand your question, you are asking if a full-synthetic is better for the engine than a synthetic blend. If you follow the recommended change interval I don't think it matters.

Engine oil has many duties, but the two most important are lubrication and keeping debris and corrosive contaminants away from critical engine parts. I've already discussed lubricity; according to the lab experts any oil you use that meets manufacturer specs will provide satisfactory lubricity.

Over time, use and heat will cause oil to break down, which is another way to say it will lose lubricity. Heat is one of the things the intelligent oil-life monitor, er, monitors to determine the change interval. Since full synthetic is less affected by heat you could almost certainly use it longer than semi-synthetic without worrying about lubricity. But heat-related loss of lubricity is not the only reason for changing the oil.

Engine oil also sweeps harmful debris out of the engine by carrying it to the filter, where it's captured and held until the next change. Likewise, corrosive contaminants such as combustion byproducts that cannot be captured by the filter are held in suspension in the oil until the next change, and then drained out with the oil. If the oil gets too contaminated then lubricity begins to suffer. How much contamination the oil can hold before it begins its lubricity is no longer sufficient to meet manufacturer specs is determined by the amount of contaminants the engine produces and the quantity of oil maintained in the sump. So even if your oil lost no lubricity due to heat-related breakdown you will eventually contaminate it enough to need replacement anyway. That's why oil contamination is also part of the equation the oil-life monitor uses to compute the change interval.

All of this is to say as long as you use an oil that meets the spec and change it as recommended you should be golden. Using a better (full synthetic) oil and changing it more often will neither help nor harm your engine.

My advice is if you're at all concerned with environmental considerations stick with the recommended change interval. Using less oil is a good thing for the environment, and Ford spent billions in research to set a change interval that's safe for the engine.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about the life of a filter? How many miles can a filter withstand?
The filter life is accounted for by the oil-life monitor. Assuming you use a recommended filter, it should last at least as long as the recommended interval.

The recommended filter for your engine incorporates a bypass, so even if it gets clogged oil can bypass the filter and still flow through the engine. Assuming the filter is not defective, you'd have to use your oil significantly longer than recommended to clog the filter. Or pour a handful of sand in the oil.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ordering, Pricing, Production, Tracking 16