Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
About your ‘one catalytic converter’ statement are you referring only to the 1.5L models? Reason I ask is several muffler shops and at least one after-market shop ( Borla Performance Industries
 ) stated the Badlands 2.0L model has 2 catalytic converters:

Primary catalytic converter is on the Turbo downtube followed by a secondary catalytic converter located under “metal” (maybe felt?) covering.
It's inline with the exhaust baffle unless I've totally misidentified the underside components. I'm still interested in upgrading the useless felt but protecting the cat in today's world is a juicy bonus, if it does accomplish that. But based on the "Hot Wheel" description, I don't think this product will. The primary one is fairly safe, tucked up into the engine bay. The secondary is still a $600 part and vulnerable. It's peeking out in these photos.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/new-22my-badlands-can-someone-help-me-re-engine-cover-underside-skid-plates.4726/
Ford Bronco Sport Skid plate and slider prototyping - JcrOffroad Capture.JPG
Sponsored

FauxPaw

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I like the idea of replacing the felt with actual protection. If the pair was installed, would it also protect those exposed fuel lines in this photo, and would the passenger side enclose the secondary cat?

Wondering about an increase of on-road noise from these too. Rubber bushings between the floor and plate?
They sell a separate Catalytic Converter Skid that covers the secondary cat. It doubles as a theft deterrent as well.

jkbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jkbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
2021Bronco Sport
Following this. We need more protection to protect the sports.

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The bronco evap/floor skids and sliders are live on our website! The sliders require the evap/floor skids to be installed. They essentially become the backbone to support the sliders.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BSSD-FLEV-1G.html

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BSSD-SL-1G.html
I really happy to see vendors developing products for the Bronco Sport, thank you JcrOffroad!

I do have a suggestion regarding the way the sliders attach to the floor skids (photo below). If I understand their purpose correctly, the sliders are meant to provide a surface other than the bottom of the vehicle for obstructions to slide against. That means you would expect objects to move from front to back (or vice versa) in relation to the vehicle as it traverses them. Those flat plates sticking down look like a natural place for obstructions to snag, which seems like it could cause a lot of damage to both the slider and the floor plate. What if you used a bracket bent to sit flat against the floor bracket instead of sticking out?

Ford Bronco Sport Skid plate and slider prototyping - JcrOffroad BSSD-FLEV_02_1024x682

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I really happy to see vendors developing products for the Bronco Sport, thank you JcrOffroad!

I do have a suggestion regarding the way the sliders attach to the floor skids (photo below). If I understand their purpose correctly, the sliders are meant to provide a surface other than the bottom of the vehicle for obstructions to slide against. That means you would expect objects to move from front to back (or vice versa) in relation to the vehicle as it traverses them. Those flat plates sticking down look like a natural place for obstructions to snag, which seems like it could cause a lot of damage to both the slider and the floor plate. What if you used a bracket bent to sit flat against the floor bracket instead of sticking out?

Ford Bronco Sport Skid plate and slider prototyping - JcrOffroad BSSD-FLEV_02_1024x682
I’m not really keen on drilling holes in the pinch weld mainly because I live where iron oxide cancer comes from the liquid brine they pour all over the roads when there is impending snow which is always. I was hoping the skins mounted using the existing mounts.

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
I’m not really keen on drilling holes in the pinch weld mainly because I live where iron oxide cancer comes from the liquid brine they pour all over the roads when there is impending snow which is always. I was hoping the skins mounted using the existing mounts.
We use as many existing holes as possible. That pinch weld is very important to the structural strength and integrity of the sliders.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I would recommend pushing wheel bearing grease into drilled holes to prevent rust. Also coat bolts with wheel bearing grease.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
We use as many existing holes as possible. That pinch weld is very important to the structural strength and integrity of the sliders.
I get that part of it and understand why you are utilizing the part. I just know what happens to the vehicles now that they started using brine to pre treat the roads here. You can hear the rust starting at night! 🤬 Providing access to the pinch weld for the brine isn’t appealing to me. If we lived in the southwest, no worries.

Last edited:

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I get that part of it and understand why you are utilizing the part. I just know what happens to the vehicles now that they started using brine to pre treat the roads here. You can hear the rust starting at night! 🤬 Providing access to the pinch weld for the brine isn’t appealing to me. If we lived in the southwest, no worries.
Hey. We get snow too! I think that’s what it’s called. The white flakes that fall from the sky and disappear into another dimension when they land?

haha. I for one am looking forward to maybe getting some of this kit next year. Just gotta figure out which pieces. For sure the two floor skids and rock sliders. Already did damage there to the floor. Also probably the cat.

not sure I would benefit too much changing out the OEM skids. They are 1/8in at least…. Which I think is dang near 11ga?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would recommend pushing wheel bearing grease into drilled holes to prevent rust. Also coat bolts with wheel bearing grease.
This stuff (ACF-50) works a treat. It's applied as a mist every so often on the interior compartments of aircraft where the skin and structural parts are not painted. ACF-50 is part of the reason you see +60-year-old Beechcraft, Cessna, and Piper aircraft still flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.