fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I'm not sure why some here think Ford should supply recovery equipment with the BS , in any model . If you think you will need recovery equipment for your daily or weekend use , purchase what you need & believe will hold up to your usage . Just how many 4x4's have you purchased that come with recovery equipment ? Yes most real 4x4's have tow points in front , just like the BL. If you are so worried about it , purchase a winch set up or do you expect Ford to supply that too .

Believe it or not , if you really want tow hooks , install them , sure, for some models you may need a fabricator to install them on the front end of some models & a Trailer Hitch is great for the rear .

These light vehicles you can use that little hook ,but I'm not sure if you're really deep stuck if it would hold up in repeated use .

"especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road."
So only a BL can be used off road ? I guess I can't take the OB out any more , it sure has no issues in Sand , but maybe thats not off road . With the proper tires & driver , any AWD model will work .
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I think this will work .

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook D20A712B-8F92-4A87-8FEC-0712CFD51FA1

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook F9DE4155-4DBB-41A7-8DE3-3F2F48F182FA
Exactly!

Can it be rotated 90* so that the shackle can swing left and right? Just curious. It's usually not necessary, and many only install in the way shown.

The only question is, who pays for it?

All vehicles -- especially those designed to be driven off-road (so much so that Ford offers off-road driving classes) -- should have front and rear recovery points. Ford is fully aware that the factory hitch prevents the use of a tow eye on the rear (which all BS models have) -- leaving the owner with no rear recovery point. Therefore, Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver with an appropriate load rating.

Doing that would show that Ford truly cares about their customers. As it is, they do not even notify BS owners with the tow package that they have no safe rear recovery point. Perhaps the thinking is that most people will never need one so the best approach is to keep quiet about it.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
You do know you can use your ford points for a "free" shackle...
And adding the factory tow deletes the hook - on the Jeep Trailhawk. :)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do know you can use your ford points for a "free" shackle...
And adding the factory tow deletes the hook - on the Jeep Trailhawk. :)
So the Jeep tow package also deletes the rear recovery point that all other Trailhawks have? That's a good example of 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

I just did a quick search for "use fordpass points for shackle hitch receiver" and didn't see anything. Not saying it doesn't exist, just that there was nothing obvious.

Of course, if Ford sells a shackle hitch receiver, using FordPass points to buy it is the equivalent of spending your own money (unless there is absolutely nothing else a person wants).

Needless to say, people are free to do whatever they want. Some people spend their own money to purchase the missing 'dash insulator panel' -- which many BS Forum members (including myself) have gotten for free under warranty.

If BS owners with the tow package are not bothered by having the rear recovery point deleted on their vehicle, that's their choice. As a practical matter, it will not be an issue for most of us -- it's the principle involved. The tow package cost $540 (it's more now) which is pretty steep. Then to find out afterwards (because Ford says nothing) that it deletes the rear recovery point, and replacing it (with a shackle hitch) will cost an additional ~$50-$60 does not leave people with a warm and fuzzy feeling about Ford.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ford Accessories can be purchased w/FordPass points. Not a new thing. Many here have used that to purchase floor mats, hood deflectors, and more. You get roughly $200 USD credit towards "ford" purchases (services, accessories, etc).
FWIW, Subaru also deletes the rear hook point w/factory tow package... :)

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Ford Accessories can be purchased w/FordPass points. Not a new thing. Many here have used that to purchase floor mats, hood deflectors, and more. You get roughly $200 USD credit towards "ford" purchases (services, accessories, etc).
The question is, does Ford sell a shackle? Not if you can use your points to buy it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Using a hitch pin through the loop on a tow strap should work OK for relatively straight pulls, but but if the angle is too great, the strap will rub on the inside edge of the receiver.
This is probably what I'll end up with. It'll stay in the spare storage area with all the other recover gear. I like the idea of keeping things light.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Shackle is in the accessories guide...
"Part No: VLL3Z19A282A
CURT HITCH SHACKLE KIT"
FWIW, shopped several smaller unibody AWD last fall/winter. VW, Porsche (a bit redundant, I know), Subaru, Jeep, LR, and Ford. All "delete" (or cover) rear point w/factory tow. Based on how factory tows mount, they provide an equal or greater load capacity, with the added benefit of keeping strap/line away from painted bumper...

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
...does not leave people with a warm and fuzzy feeling about Ford.
This is my third Bronco and none came with recovery points on the rear. My previous two did not come with hitches or even tow hooks on the front. People who wanted that stuff put it on themselves.

Come to think of it, none of the vehicles I've owned over the last 32 years came with one of those screw-in-thingies, or a shackle insert if equipped with a hitch.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Looks like a good solution...people in the recovery world are getting away from using hard accessories. Some pretty innovative stuff out there now.
Yes, they use soft shackles all the time but depends on the situation. Lower mounting helps “lift” the vehicle up and out. Sometimes the center isn’t the best pull direction.

I’d much rather use the hitch/shackle than the screw in version.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Exactly!

Can it be rotated 90* so that the shackle can swing left and right? Just curious. It's usually not necessary, and many only install in the way
yes, some do. Mine does.

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook F8EBE30B-45FA-488F-93CE-CA707B344915

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely, FordPass points can be used to purchase many things. The problem is:

1) It's not clear that Ford sells a shackle hitch.
2) Using FordPass points is the same as using your own money.

In fact, it may be worse -- if Ford sells a shackle hitch but it's very expensive and/or not particularly good quality.

As I said above though -- whatever people want to do.

This should go without saying, but wrong is wrong -- no matter how many people or companies do it.
This is my third Bronco and none came with recovery points on the rear. My previous two did not come with hitches or even tow hooks on the front. People who wanted that stuff put it on themselves.

Come to think of it, none of the vehicles I've owned over the last 32 years came with one of those screw-in-thingies, or a shackle insert if equipped with a hitch.
Good points, but the current BS (2021/22) *does* come with a rear recovery point. So it is reasonable for BS owners to expect it to be there -- whether or not they have the tow package.

The tow package deletes it. Ford does not notify owners of that fact (let alone replace the deleted recovery point). Owners will only find out when they are nose first in a ditch and need to be pulled out.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Well, it's Curt, and has a Ford part number, so... *shrugs*

As to tow/recovery point, it's clear there's an industry standard.
Sponsored