Outer Banks vs Badlands

Greensweater

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Can you elaborate on what you mean by a wider stance?
My 2021 BL came with 235/65 tires. A bit wider and chunkier compared to the low profile tires on the OB. Upper trim levels or sports packages typically bolster the stance of the vehicle. For example, the difference between the Ford Explorer XLT and the very cool ST. It's all in the wheels and tires.
Sponsored

Last edited:

watchnerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
My 2021 BL came with 235/65 tires. A bit wider and chunkier compared to the low profile tires on the OB. Upper trim levels or sports packages typically bolster the stance of the vehicle. For example, the difference between the Ford Explorer XLT and the very cool ST. It's all in the wheels and tires.
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

I thought at first you meant the wheelbase was actually wider, which made me scratch my head.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
it’s all about feel. Ain’t nobody drag racin. BUT The 2.0 has the TORQUE. Not only is it handy off road but jumping onto on-ramps and a burst (think 40-60mph).

I too ordered a BL with fewest options possible. I wanted that 2.0. It’s been around awhile and has been used, albeit different variants, in dozens of applications. Ford has a lot of confidence in it. It’s proven. its strong between 2-3000 rpm. If the Bend Bend was offered with the 2L I would’ve went for that.

I don’t want to take away from the 1.5. the lil dragon motor in the OB is a beast. Very efficient. doesn’t have the pop the 2L does but in the daily pavement pounding stop n go grind, it’s the smarter choice. It’s also a lighter vehicle.
When I go onto on ramps I have to hold it down or I'll be doing 80+ before I even get to the freeway.

That's fast enough.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I'm getting ready to order my new BS. Things that are important to me are: leather seats, body color door handles, 360+, tow hitch (just in case - not hauling anything large). I won't be doing any major off roading, but I may occasionally take it on vacations in the blue ridge mountains or want to drive it on the beach, etc... It will primarily be my daily driver, and I do a decent amount of highway driving. I'm debating between the Outer Banks and Badlands, but it would be significantly more expensive to get a Badlands with the leather seats + body color door handles.

My question is... will I miss the larger engine in the Badlands if I go with the Outer Banks? Or will I just appreciate the better gas mileage in the OB? I can't find one near me to test drive and am mainly concerned about the pick up on highways. Any thoughts or comparisons between the two would be helpful!
My wife and I both have Badlands. If you don’t plan on taking it off road except for the occasional beach day the OB would be fine. You’ll get much better gas mileage with it as well, if that’s important to you. I didn’t care about the gas mileage and wanted it capable of going off road. Badlands has upgraded suspension and 4WD. The Badlands is a little beast. Get the Badlands if it fits your budget.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Just my opinion:

Ford knows most people who opt for the Badlands model will do it to get the 2.0 Ecoboost engine and not for the additional off-road capability.

They know most people will never take their Bronco Sport off-road.

They did it because the 2.0 is the premium engine option and by putting it at the top of the lineup they can make more money.
That would be us. 2.0 was the sole reason we went Badlands. The better AWD and front camera were perks. But we miss out on the rain sensing wipers.

We will only need the AWD for snow and ice days, no plans to hit the trails.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
That would be us. 2.0 was the sole reason we went Badlands. The better AWD and front camera were perks. But we miss out on the rain sensing wipers.

We will only need the AWD for snow and ice days, no plans to hit the trails.
Same - for me it wasn't the trails, nor a need for speed or a heavy foot, or anything like that.

It was simply a better engine that could move the car a bit more easily, with a bit more torque, and a less taxing run at highway speeds. As for the more capable off-roading capabilities, it's kind of like the Nissan Pathfinder commercials from the late 90's or early 2000s that stressed that it's not that you would, but that you could.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Some have shown the 2.0 can do 0-60 in as little as 5.9 seconds.

7.7 seconds seems off. My 2.0 Escape AWD, which is heavier, is certainly faster than that.

The 2.0 feels better because it is better. More horsepower and torque, significantly less vibration and quieter operation all add up to a superior driving experience.

Agreed, those times are way off. My BL hustles pretty good. I wonder if those quoted times were with regular 87 octane and not in sport mode.

I drove a 1.5L BS BB for a test drive. The car felt good under 40mph, but beyond that it was gasping. Having owned a 2020 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 there was no way in hell was I getting the 1.5L. I was concerned that the BL with the AT tires would be sluggish compared to the Ford Escape and it wasn't.

What got me is I took an on ramp in the BL with the Falken AT tires and realty hit in the face vs. the Ford Escape Titanium handling. The Escape with its road oriented tires felt like a 911 in the twisties. I realize that the BL isn't going to be canyon carving. Thats what the Mustang is for.

Dave

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
I go off road in my OB all the time.
Never disappointed...or stuck.
I've done plenty of off-roading in a 2-wheel drive. You can take almost anything off-road, and for the vast majority of people, 4WD not required. But it is all relative....no question that the Badlands can go farther afield and in places you'd not want to take other BSs.

watchnerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
But we miss out on the rain sensing wipers.
I thought the Premium Package for Badlands included this, but apparently not.

Huh, how weird to make it unavailable on the Badlands.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I thought the Premium Package for Badlands included this, but apparently not.

Huh, how weird to make it unavailable on the Badlands.
I've read that is available in other countries on the Badlands but not in the US.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Is more because the whole undercarriage is just hanging out without skids. You can wheel the others, I wouldn’t. Then again I won’t wheel mine again since it’s a piece and constantly in the shop and Ford sucks balls

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Statements like this crack me up. :crackup:

It may crack you up but how am I wrong? The 1.5L motor is lethargic compared to the 2.0. This was my impression. For those that don't want to pony up for the BL with the 2.0 don't drive it. You will be sorely disappointed with the base 1.5L. The 2.0 has 70 more hp, over 80 ft/lbs of torque in a similar weight vehicle. I never would have even considered a BS if it only came with the 1.5L.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I drove a 1.5L BS BB for a test drive. The car felt good under 40mph, but beyond that it was gasping. Having owned a 2020 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 there was no way in hell was I getting the 1.5L. I was concerned that the BL with the AT tires would be sluggish compared to the Ford Escape and it wasn't.
It's funny, because I regularly set my cruise control at 75-80 on the highway when it's clear and have never once felt like I was struggling in my OBX to get up to speed or stay at speed.
Sponsored