My Bronco is EATING TIRES

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The TPMS needs to be synced with the vehicle ECU so it knows where it's located on the vehicle. You can only ever show four tpms at a time.
Thanks. Now if there are 5 tires including the spare all with TPMS Sensors how does the ECU not pick the spare to display the psi? I could Google that but you probably know off hand for Ford’s.
Sponsored

Hitman11

Big Bend
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks. Now if there are 5 tires including the spare all with TPMS Sensors how does the ECU not pick the spare to display the psi? I could Google that but you probably know off hand for Ford’s.
The ECU won't know there is a TPMS there until you tell it to look for one and make them talk to each other. Sort of like turning on Bluetooth on a phone and syncing with your head unit.

OP
OP

Scapino

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Do you have a lift kit installed?
No, no lift kit or anything. All stock equipment.

I know there are questions regarding tire pressure and rotations. PSI was a bit low over the winter (at some point it triggered the alarm/warning). But I mostly keep them at 35/36psi. I normally rotate them around 10k or 15k miles.

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge, 2024 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had wondered if the system recognizes a rotating (moving) spare tire that does not have a TPMS or is it that the system recognizes the tire with the TPMS was no longer within range.

Just curious .. the tire you removed that has its TPMS .. was it in the vehicles spare tire location or was it away from the vehicle like in a garage?

(Some owners put a TPMS on the spare so that there are 5 tires on or in the vehicle having the TPMS on the tire but I am assuming the display will only ever show a max of 4 tire pressures.)
When I got a flat on the front passenger tire last month I had to ride on the mini spare. While the mini spare was mounted the tire was registering 0 PSI. The damaged tire was in the trunk. I do not know if the BS was still reading the flat tire with the TPMS or the system recognized that a tire was mounted without a TPMS sensor. By the time I was able to pull over and call AAA the tire PSI was down to 8 before it was swapped for the mini spare. Once we pulled over the BS was turned off so it was not reading the tire pressure again until the spare was mounted and the BS was turned on again. The other 3 tires were registering normal PSI.

Last edited:

Hitman11

Big Bend
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interesting, looks like the BS self learns. My other vehicles have reprogram procedures or use a TPMS learn tool. Like the photo below.
Ford Bronco Sport My Bronco is EATING TIRES 17164191238067853696813799625187

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
If you pull a trailer and it is not level on you hitch but riding high on your hitch and tilted backwards, it will cause the center wear on your tires.
Please explain this more thoroughly. I know having not enough tongue weight is dangerous (causig sway), but I'd never heard an unlevel trialer causing tire wear. Thanks.

pinkywinky

Outer Banks
First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport
We had an f150 with this type of rear tire wear and I couldn’t figure it out. Then we bought a Jeep pickup and I was reading the manual about pulleys trailer and it stated it right in the manual including pictures. Something about the weight distribution. U can’t quite remember. I’m 69 years old and have never heard of this either. But it makes sense and explains the center wear on the back tires. Check out the owners manual on the Jeep Gladiator pick up in the trailer section . You can find it online

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Tire tread stays flat in the road under specific combinations of weight and inflation. If the trailer tongue pulls up on the hitch instead of pushing down you take weight off the tires. This has the same effect on the tread as over inflating.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Tire tread stays flat in the road under specific combinations of weight and inflation. If the trailer tongue pulls up on the hitch instead of pushing down you take weight off the tires. This has the same effect on the tread as over inflating.
And conversely, if the trailer tongue weight is heavy, the load on the hitch will "unload" the front end of the vehicle. The steering will be very "light" (it's definitely noticeable). It's why they make weight distributing hitch setups with load bars, etc. Cheers!

Steven 6095

Big Bend
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
For what it is worth if anything, check to see where your Coopers were made.
My local, independent tire place turned me on to Coopers years ago and I have had phenomenal success with them, including those specific tires on my Mustang. The shop no longer sells the brand, removed their sign, etc due to quality control issues and manufacturing over seas.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've got a 2021 BS Outer Banks. It had 250 miles on it when I bought it - but technically it was sold as a Used Vehicle. This is important because the tire warranty is only for the original purchaser (it is not transferable).

I was really disappointed with the original tires (I forgot, think it came with Continentals); I had barely gotten 30k miles out of them before they wore out.

I replaced the Continentals with a set of 225/60r18 Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring with 70k mile warranties. And again, I barely get 30k miles out of them. TireRack is giving me some BS runaround and not honoring the warranty - but that is a different story.

My question, what is going on with my Bronco to cause it to go through tires so fast? It drives straight and normal. Does not pull or anything. All my driving is highway miles (I've got a 70 mile one-way commute each day). It seems like the rear tires have more wear vs the fronts which is weird (I'd expect the fronts to wear first). But all four have less than 5/32" of tread.

Any suggestions? I will get an alignment when I get the new set of tires - but I honestly don't think it needs an alignment. I think there is something else going on?
Ford Bronco Sport My Bronco is EATING TIRES IMG_5276[1].JPG
I got 38,000 kms, approximately 25,000 miles out of our Falkens . Very disappointed. Highway use, just premature tread wear. They gave me the run around on warranty. Asked for pictures, I provided them. Zero help from head office.

rms34208

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2013 SEL
From what you can see in the photo it looks like it has an alignment issue, one shoulder has rubber and the other is really worn. With the center worn as it is, could possibly be over inflated as well.
Interesting ….The Continental Pros on my BB are rated to be inflated to 52 lbs. Currently I run them at 42 with no issues . I,ll be watching carefully. One othe thing that others have spoken about in the past is the OEM tires tread is not as deep as
replacement tires.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Interesting ….The Continental Pros on my BB are rated to be inflated to 52 lbs. Currently I run them at 42 with no issues . I,ll be watching carefully. One othe thing that others have spoken about in the past is the OEM tires tread is not as deep as
replacement tires.
You should not be driving with 42 psi in your tires. The recommended psi in all four tires is 33 psi. Open the driver’s side door and read the label on the door frame.
Sponsored