Scapino

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
I've got a 2021 BS Outer Banks. It had 250 miles on it when I bought it - but technically it was sold as a Used Vehicle. This is important because the tire warranty is only for the original purchaser (it is not transferable).

I was really disappointed with the original tires (I forgot, think it came with Continentals); I had barely gotten 30k miles out of them before they wore out.

I replaced the Continentals with a set of 225/60r18 Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring with 70k mile warranties. And again, I barely get 30k miles out of them. TireRack is giving me some BS runaround and not honoring the warranty - but that is a different story.

My question, what is going on with my Bronco to cause it to go through tires so fast? It drives straight and normal. Does not pull or anything. All my driving is highway miles (I've got a 70 mile one-way commute each day). It seems like the rear tires have more wear vs the fronts which is weird (I'd expect the fronts to wear first). But all four have less than 5/32" of tread.

Any suggestions? I will get an alignment when I get the new set of tires - but I honestly don't think it needs an alignment. I think there is something else going on?
Ford Bronco Sport My Bronco is EATING TIRES IMG_5276[1].JPG
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
You must have seen them wearing quite fast on the second set as well. Have you ever had the alignment checked? What psi are you running them at? Why won’t Tire Rack honor the warranty? No rotations?

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looking at your photo, the tires appear to be overinflated causing excessive wear around the center of the tread. What tire pressure are you keeping on these tires? How often do you rotate the tires?

My 21 OB came with Michelin Primacy tires. I check the pressure twice a month when cold and keep them at 33 psi. I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.

I got 60,000 miles out of the original tires. I replaced the tires with the same Michelin Primacy tires and maintain these the same. I have 55,000 miles on the replacement tires.

If you are looking for a long lasting tire, look at the Michelin Defender 2. I have these on a 2009 Escape. I have getting 120,000 to 125,000 miles per set of tires. These tires will lower your gas mileage and not ride as well as the Michelin Primacy tires.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Agree with the other person, the wear pattern looks highly overinflated. Your photo is cut off but as you look to the right, the tire gets worse and worse. So I'm guessing that is an alignment issue. Now you've gone 60,000+ miles without one?? Tire sellers are going to tell you to rotate and get the alignment every 6,000. Some of them include the service if you buy the equipment so it could cost as little as nothing depending on the shop. Maybe you can push that out to once a year but you're overdue if tread life is a concern. Or you can save the alignment money and buy tires with it.

OP
OP

Scapino

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your photo is cut off but as you look to the right, the tire gets worse and worse. So I'm guessing that is an alignment issue.
Ok, one part of the story I neglected to tell - what prompted me to look at the tire(s) is that I was having a lot of road noise. So I pulled the one tire off (in the photo, right rear) and it was clearly defective. Two huge flat spots on it. That is what you are seeing in the photo - the flats spots. And the flat spots are what was causing the road noise. The remaining 3 all show signs of early wear out. Only between 2/32" to 4/32" of tread left.

Note: The flats spots were so bad that I was scared to drive on that tire anymore. I put the spare on.

I appreciate all the comments that the Operator might be at fault (over inflated tires or something). But note: The Operator also has a Ford Exp Sport Trac. And the Operator does not have tire problems with that vehicle. So for the sake of discussion, lets assume the Operator is not the issue.

I am willing to entertain the idea that it is an alignment issue. But it drives straight with no drift or anything. So I really don't think it's an alignment.

It is possible that I just got a bum set of Coopers. As I said, one tire is clearly defective with the flat spots. And it is worth noting that Cooper discontinued these tires. Though, manufacturers discontinue tires all the time, so I don't know...

I'm just wondering what else I should check / fix before I put another set on? Yes, I'm going to do the alignment. But I find something else, I'm willing to bet that with the alignment I be in the same place in another 30k miles.

Wotan

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badland
Looking at your photo, the tires appear to be overinflated causing excessive wear around the center of the tread. What tire pressure are you keeping on these tires? How often do you rotate the tires?

My 21 OB came with Michelin Primacy tires. I check the pressure twice a month when cold and keep them at 33 psi. I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.

I got 60,000 miles out of the original tires. I replaced the tires with the same Michelin Primacy tires and maintain these the same. I have 55,000 miles on the replacement tires.

If you are looking for a long lasting tire, look at the Michelin Defender 2. I have these on a 2009 Escape. I have getting 120,000 to 125,000 miles per set of tires. These tires will lower your gas mileage and not ride as well as the Michelin Primacy tires.
I agree with the Michelin Defender 2. Costco has them on sale now:

https://tires.costco.com/Product?ItemNo=1631911&tirename=michelin-defender2&partno=08758&width=235&aspect=65&rim=17

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
There can be alignment issues that do not present as it pulling. Definitely worth the cost of an alignment.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The flat spots are usually from a suspension problem, not from tires. It could be a bad strut or shock absorber or bad bushing.

You did not answer 2 questions.
What is the air pressure you are running in the tires?
How often are you rotating the tires?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Scapino

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
The flat spots are usually from a suspension problem, not from tires. It could be a bad strut or shock absorber or bad bushing.
Interesting! Ok, there is one more issue that I am having but I didn't want to include it with this thread because I didn't want it to get all confused. But you mentioned suspension (and bushings)....

The additional problem: I am having all sorts of noises coming from the rear. So this past weekend I replaced the bushings & pins on the rear calipers (as per the TSB posted elsewhere). That cured the gawd awful moaning noise when reversing. And when I had the rear tires off is when I noticed the flat spots. Putting the spare on cured the road noise. But I am left with this random "binding noise" coming from the rear. It only happens at low speeds (5 - 15mph). It is most prevalent when accelerating, but I do notice it occasionally when braking too. It does not happen every time. And it does not occur when above 15mph. It is especially noticeable in stop-n-go traffic!

The best way I can describe the noise is this: Picture if you had three or four 2 -liter bottles of soda rolling around in the trunk. When you start to accelerate they all roll to one side and make a bunch of thuds - but include a jerking motion with the thuds. Hence, a binding noise.

I was (am) suspecting a possible warped rear rotor. I was thinking if the rotor is warped and the 'Brake Hold' is not fully retracting it would give me the binding / jerking noise I mentioned. But it seemed a long shot. And I didn't think a warped rotor would contribute to flat spots on tires which is why I didn't mention it with this thread.

When I had the tires off the struts looked ok (no leaking fluid or anything). But I didn't look at any other bushings other than the caliper bushings. I'll take another look (not this weekend, but maybe next). Any suggestions on where to start looking? If not, I'll get an alignment at Firestone - they also diagnosis suspension issues free of charge.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From what you can see in the photo it looks like it has an alignment issue, one shoulder has rubber and the other is really worn. With the center worn as it is, could possibly be over inflated as well.

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
You're still not answering the two questions, how much pressure are you running in these tires and how often do you rotate them?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

You did not answer 2 questions.
What is the air pressure you are running in the tires?
How often are you rotating the tires?
Flat spots can also be caused by unbalanced tire. Perhaps a weight came of of that rime, making the tire out of balance. If its bad, you feel it as a slight tire slap while driving.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
But I am left with this random "binding noise" coming from the rear. It only happens at low speeds (5 - 15mph). It is most prevalent when accelerating, but I do notice it occasionally when braking too. It does not happen every time. And it does not occur when above 15mph. It is especially noticeable in stop-n-go traffic!
What you are describing could be an issue with your read differential--something others have reported. If your rear diff IS binding it can certainly cause issues with abnormal tire wear. I would get this checked out BEFORE you install new tires.

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
I had that same noise. It cost $3,000 to fix the rear differential.

cadlerocks

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Desert Cactus w/Off-Road, Towing, Black Diamond
I might seem crazy when I say this, but I noticed mine were running at 42-44psi in each tire. I stopped at a Sheetz station and dropped them to 35 (because I had already been driving). They're magically back up to over 40psi without me adding any air to them. And it's not because the first day was cooler and second was hotter.
Sponsored